• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Synergy/MTS Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Used modded module at USED price

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaymzrock

Reaction score
Quick rant...Dudes. Dude.
I have seen a huge handful of modules here on the Classifieds going for 285/375 bucks, and in some cases they can be calculated to be pricier than buying a donor and then subsequently sending it off for a full-on NEW modification plus shipping. Then we all wait and watch them trickle down 10 bucks here, 5 bucks there. Veteran's Day sale?! Hahahaha that's a little insulting.
Yeah yeah, availability of donors; Randall dropped the line; yadda yadda. I find myself willing to wait for the donors to pop up and wait a little longer for a fresh mod (which supports our awesome modders) than spending MORE money for each other's fourth or fifth party pieces.
Feel free to burn me to a crisp on this but we aren't increasing the value by increasing the used prices. We're making it hard to do what was so freely done here last year and before which was getting excited about these bad boys.
I'm really not a troll nor do I simply wish to make waves. I have had dozens of great deals here and I've just noticed quite the shift in the way we as a small group of cats are conducting business with each other. Surely I'm not the only one. End of rant.

Happy Veteran's Day!

It's the Pokemon mentality at times here. I'm guilty myself. Get it this week or wait 'til, gasp, two weeks to get a new one?.

Just how it be rollin here these days?.Good or bad, it rolls!

Hope you are well!!!

Cheers,
Fig

Yeah,it is unfortunate,but I guess since there is a limited market there isnt alot that can be done about it.One of the reasons I got rid of all my stuff.The stuff sounds killer,just dont like the fact that one of the modders is on the other side of the globe,making wait times long and there is really only one that is really accessible all the time that is reliable.HAd some reliability issues with other modders too,so really,options are limited and I just dont beleive in paying more than I feel something is worth just because,especially when there is always stuff out there just as good or better for less money if you look.....

I've only been here for a few months, but have also noticed a pretty sharp spike in used mod asking prices. But, I've also noticed that they aren't quite selling like before, time-wise, if at all. Free market man, supply and demand rule regardless of the forum. So, if they're selling at those prices, well that's what they're 'worth'. However, many of these mods, on the block at exorbitant prices (IMO), well they simply just sit (seems to be a bunch of those right now). So, when they lower to a price point where folks are willing to spend, they'll sell. It's all good, though I am curious as to the reason(s) for the recent price spikes considering that traffic here seems to have slowed noticeably since I arrived...

blacksun said:
alowerdeep said:
...,especially when there is always stuff out there just as good or better for less money if you look.....

Do you mean better sound wise or quality wise?

referring to tone,though tone is subjective,but you could say quality as well....

My theory has always been that if you don't like the price (and this goes for anything) - move on.

Thanks for the replies, it's all good really. I wasn't trying to be sharp-tongued or disrespectful myself. I was just kinda peeved and wondering aloud. Supply and demand do rule and nobody wants to lose money, especially as often as some guys flip modules. There has got to be a reasonable (although not really precidented) depreciation just to keep everyone...honest I guess? Realistic perhaps. For instance, I have a custom Grail that I bought. Donor was 140, base mod 100, 2 switches added for around 50, and sent back off for tweaking for about 25. A good 40 bucks in Shipping as well. So I'm liking at around 355 that I've put into it, roughly. But that's not even close to what I'd be comfortable asking for it, I'd be laughed out of town! A rough example, but I think it nails the point. I dig the forums and still come through often. Hope I didn't make too big a wave, guys.

I don't think you caused any waves. Just do this... "I find myself willing to wait for the donors to pop up and wait a little longer for a fresh mod (which supports our awesome modders) than spending MORE money for each other's fourth or fifth party pieces."

Good stuff guys. It's all about demand for sure. Usually you're just not going to make that money back that was spent on services and shipping unless someone specifically wants it. Otherwise you're tempting people (like me) to give it a shot with a good price 8)

Here's a different perspective:
Why is it that MTS gear doesn't hold its value?
I had to blow out my two RM50 combo amps WITH
JF Fog Lifters and high $ tubes for $300 ea.
These amps looked great and were in proper working condition.
I don't remember what the last MAP price was
for these new, but when I was a dealer I sold them
for $999 (no modules) and that was a good sale price.

As for modules, once someone like Rob takes a donor
module and turns it in to, let's say a Snake Bite, to me
that's a brand new product. The mod price is $250.
The donor price is at least $100. I look at it as if shipping
costs are the price of doing business, so it doesn't count.
So I'm in to the module $350. Let's say after a week of
trying it out, it's simply not my flavor. How much should I
be able to sell that module for? Is a brand new Snake Bite
worth more than my week old unit? What if it's 3 months old?
6 months old? A year old? Unless I've damaged the unit
or Rob has come up with an improvement to the design of
the Snake Bite, why should my module lose any value?

Agree with your comments.. completely

However, if the demand isn't there.. then the price drops..
Just like you've experienced; and... like I have with modules.

I completely agree that we are all into mods by about 350 each...
so why do they lose value? I think mostly because something new (module) or another flavor comes that covers that tone and then almost makes it obsolete. - maybe obsolete isn't the correct term but they certainly become less desirable when compared to the next version.

example - H-Watt - great mod, but its actually being discontinued because the C watt covers that ground and does it better.

so now, the H Watt isn't valued as much any longer.. so unless someone is specifically searching for that module, then the price is going to have to be low for someone to buy it...

Just my two cents.. 8)

All of your points are of course valid as well.
That's why I picked a fairly new and exciting module as an example.

But let's step back a few steps and look at the bigger picture.
MTS is a tiny little diamond hiding in the corner of the guitar amp world.
I understand that. But I'm only talking to the MTS group here that is aware of this diamond and how brightly it shines. So why do WE, the keepers of the flame, place so little value on the flame? I don't see anybody taking a 75% value drop on contemporary Marshalls, Mesa Boogies, etc. I find it ironic, because everybody here is always asking "What's the future of MTS?" Is Egnater going to come out with a new line? Will someone else license MTS? We all seem VERY interested in seeing MTS continue. But how can it? An RM100 head cannot be manufactured and sold for $500. IT CAN'T BE DONE! Yet $500 is the MOST any of us will pay for one! Are you all going to run right out and buy the new model for $1495 when it comes out? No, you won't. Not even if Bruce hand assembled each unit in the USA.

It's all ebb and flow dude

Even If I got the price I paid for all of my cherry modules, I will never recoup the investment lost of the ones that don't quite turn out. There are a handful of dudes here that fund near misses that eventually become the great modules that everyone runs out and buys once they hit the street. I agree, I have seen some ridiculous prices on modules, but those seem to be the modules that cost the most and are the hardest to get.

Me personally, I'm with Jace, shipping is the price of doing business and if I can get out a module what I have into it, I'm satisfied. It's only happened a handful of times and I have bought and sold more than I care to remember.

Since we're ranting here, what about this paypal gift crap? Paypal, like shipping is simply the cost of doing business. I never ask for gift and only in a rare instance will I send money in that fashion. It's when when we try to cheat the system that it collapses

Just my $.02, no offense intended

Keep the Faith!

H

Pay what you want to pay for modules...if the price is too high for you, move onto another deal.

Simples.

I might have just worded it all poorly. Just seems like things are at record highs these days. I don't make purchases I can't afford and I do pass on deals that are a bit pricey. I hate to play devil's advocate, but it did strike up some good points...so be it. That being said, I hope I didn't burn any bridges with anyone.
I went all in with MTS and I plan on sticking around no matter how long our beloved little system stays breathing. My rig turns heads at nearly every show and I pity the fool who asks about my amp, cuz I LOVE talking about the badassery going on in that thing. I bought, sold and traded like crazy in the past and it started looking less attainable than it used to. Like....

Those days are gone
All byyyyy myyyyyyyyseeeeeeeelf
:lol:
But it makes sense now that it's been tossed around.

Hate to beat a dead horse here, but supply & demand explains all of this... New mods are priced such that the modders can turn a profit & make a living. Additionally, if they could move significantly more units (added supply, following demand), they could set lower prices to recoup on volume.

No one here would order a new mod if the same one popped up in classifieds at used prices (lets say $250, vs $350 inclusive of donor value), as your needs would be supplied, and at a better price point. You'd only order a new one if you couldn't easily find a used one, and you WANTED it bad enough to justify the cost (demand).

Clearly, used mods selling for $100 less than new is a direct result of the seller being willing to get out @ that price.

Human nature. Generally speaking the buyer strives to pay as little as possible for what he wants, & seller the highest price he can get. We meet at the proverbial crossing of supply & demand 'curves'. Econ 101...

And, I disagree on the comment about Mesa & Marshall amps. They too can and regularly do sell for 75% or less at resale. That's why I buy almost nothing new, lol. Same goes for most guitars, pedals, cars, appliances, etc, etc. New is more, 99% of the time.

As for Randall head units, there is a glut of them on the market, and few buyers, hence the low prices. Now, the egnater mod heads are a different story, and you can see that...

Just my 22 cents, Lol