• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Synergy/MTS Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WANTED: RM100 in Australia, pleeeeease! will buy overseas

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbag

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking to add another RM100 to my collection, would appreciate any help, will buy from overseas also, not too fussed,

Thanks fellas!

Tys

I have brand new ones in the box I'll sell you. Email for pricing. Shipping is your responsibility. It's probably the safest bet for you, as I see LOTS of bad used heads pawned off on others. That is ot a risk I'd take if you are going to pay international shipping.

Jaded Faith said:
I have brand new ones in the box I'll sell you. Email for pricing. Shipping is your responsibility. It's probably the safest bet for you, as I see LOTS of bad used heads pawned off on others. That is ot a risk I'd take if you are going to pay international shipping.

That's interesting to know....When you say "bad heads" I imagine the scope of that to be broad. But, if you had to narrow it down to the top 3 things you see make a head go bad, what would they be? If you don't mind my asking....This interests me a lot as there is a big difference between some heads and others...Was it bad quality control?

Thanks,
Fig

If I had to say one particular thing, it would be misuse by owners not fully understanding their amps. I personally service, modify and repair over 300 amps a year of all makes and models. I have never seen any other brand where there is more damage done by user error than the MTS amps. Everything from improper bias, instrument cables used as speaker cables, pulling half the power tubes and then running the OT at an unsafe mismatch and much more. I have struggled to come up with a reason why, but bad practices have plagued these amps for years. If I had a dollar for every time someone thought a module sounded terrible only to find out it was something related to their amp, I'd be able to buy a summer vacation for the wife and I.

There is a lot more going on inside these amps than most and I probably service more of them than anyone out there. The general quality is fine and rather consistent. I just see a lot of abuse and constantly get contacted by buyers of used amps that have issues, more-so than any of the other gear I work on daily.

Jaded Faith said:
If I had to say one particular thing, it would be misuse by owners not fully understanding their amps. I personally service, modify and repair over 300 amps a year of all makes and models. I have never seen any other brand where there is more damage done by user error than the MTS amps. Everything from improper bias, instrument cables used as speaker cables, pulling half the power tubes and then running the OT at an unsafe mismatch and much more. I have struggled to come up with a reason why, but bad practices have plagued these amps for years. If I had a dollar for every time someone thought a module sounded terrible only to find out it was something related to their amp, I'd be able to buy a summer vacation for the wife and I.

There is a lot more going on inside these amps than most and I probably service more of them than anyone out there. The general quality is fine and rather consistent. I just see a lot of abuse and constantly get contacted by buyers of used amps that have issues, more-so than any of the other gear I work on daily.

Seen all those things on regular amps, especially the instrument cable one

The biggest thing I've seen on the Randall amps is the internal arc'ing problems..RM100s and RM50s...granted probably not near rthe sample size you have..only owned about 15 of these things, LOL

You never know what you are going to get, I sent an earlier production amp to Bruce back when he was offering the Dual Channel upgrade and that thing needed several ECs plus the wire mod, presumably to help with the arc'ing.

Lost two RM50s boards to arching....one I got from Randall as a replacement was 'fixed' but it wasn't pretty.

Agreed with you fully Steve. It's almost an anomaly to the point where I have wondered out loud about it. The only conclusion I have is that the affordability of the gear post-Randall's license period has allowed consumers to afford tube amps that might not otherwise be able to afford them. The second biggest group for these types of user-error problems in my shop are the budget model (Bugera, Line 6, Peavey Valve King, etc) crowd. That's my best guess.

As for the arcing, it's a known potential problem on early production amps. I typically sever these traces and hand wire them before any trouble can occur when amps visit my shop. It's not a difficult job, but there is a lot of potential to make a big mistake if you aren't sure what you are doing. And shock potential....BIG shock potential if the caps aren't properly bled out.

Hey man

A bloke here in Perth has a few for sale

Check out this FB page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/202725459905414/#

Bandaide.co

Otherwise pm me and I'll pass on some details

Interesting info.

I always thought RM's were very tough with the big trannies and all. Never knew they had a glass chin.

I have an RM100LB that seems fine to me. I use proper speaker cables and match impedance with the cab I use. Don't run the tubes too hot.

Thanks for the insight.

Don

DonP said:
Interesting info.

I always thought RM's were very tough with the big trannies and all. Never knew they had a glass chin.

I have an RM100LB that seems fine to me. I use proper speaker cables and match impedance with the cab I use. Don't run the tubes too hot.

Thanks for the insight.

Don

Don- Its like any amp- Some people take care of their gear, take the time to understand it etc...and others dont. Its not just Randall gear. Yeah, its nice to get a new in box but you're going to pay more. Guitars, cabs...mods- its all the same. Nothing different here and if your RM's are functioning properly its because you're taking care of them and understand how to run them without damaging them. Ive seen your axes (very clean) over at JCF and not surprised to see you also take care of your amps. The trannies are pretty good on the RM100's- Not top notch but there's a few people on here who are selling upgrades so of course you will see a description here and there is that they are terrible.- I have sold a couple of RM100's (and bought others) with NO issues to report on either end (I sold mine to forum members here) Ask the right questions from your seller- Check their history (we all know who's reputable here) Its always a risk to buy used but at least here we have some people we've bought and sold a bunch with and have some history....

Sorry- Seems like this thread got hijacked into "RM's SUCK" but I am really sick of reading posts about that and how everyone else is an idiot and doesnt know how to take care of their amps. Ok, off of the soapbox!

dcg8 said:

I will personally vouch for dcg8- If you are considering buying from him- Ive had multiple deals and he's top notch. Just sayin :D