• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Synergy/MTS Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Lots of Stuff For Sale RM1250/Salvation/Vodoo/Sacred Groove/

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KillCourtney

Reaction score
I haven't been able to try one of their module amps. How is the sound and quality compared to Randall? I know Egnater is a pretty hot amp. I did notice that my RM50 says Egnater on the back. Were they partnered at one point? Sorry I'm new to this, just trying to get some history.

Thanks,

Tom

KillCourtney said:
I haven't been able to try one of their module amps. How is the sound and quality compared to Randall? I know Egnater is a pretty hot amp. I did notice that my RM50 says Egnater on the back. Were they partnered at one point? Sorry I'm new to this, just trying to get some history.

Thanks,

Tom

Hey Tom,

The design of the RM amps were licensed from Egnater by Randall for a period and the main difference is that the Egnater amps have two channel (shared EQ) modules and the Randall are single channel.

Other differences are no midi in the RM50 (there is in the Egnater Mod 50) and the transformers - the Egnaters use US built Heyboer trannies the Randalls use inferior Chinese trannies - not awful just not amazing like the Heyboer or Mercury ones.

I've got a Egnater Mod 50 that was one of the last made and Bruce put Mercury transformers in it for me - it's one of the best sounding amps I've ever played and was my main gigging amp for years.

That said I've had three RM100's over the years and they all sounded good too - over time I've normally modded them with MM trannies as I feel they make a difference once you turn the amps up!

Hope that helps - any other questions let us know and we'll see if we can answer them :D

I'm pretty Bruce has said that some Egnater amps have the same trannies as the Randall amps, but generally yes the Egnaters have Heyboer and Randalls have some Chinese ones.

I think the consensus is that the Egnaters have a slight edge tonally and build quality. The tonal differences are negligible in a live situation IMO, especially with high gain/metal stuff.

I've swapped the cheap stock Bugera chinese transformers for some vintage-spec, paper-wound blah blah blah USA Magnetic Components ones and maybe only got about 5% "better" tone, and that was A/B'd directly with a stock Bugera. So don't dismiss Chinese ones as complete junk from a tonal point of view.

I've never heard anyone really complain about a Chinese Tranny. The US ones seem to put out more but either way, your gonna pay

tschrama said:
Are the randall output trannies of Chinese make? And are they inferior?

Yes the production transformers in the RM were all Chinese (technically they were Chuang from Taiwan) - I agree with Mike I've heard rumours that the early ones got all their parts from Egnater, which would imply that the transformers in those were Heyboers - lucky you if you have one of those :)

Are they inferior - Yes they are to those fitted to the Egnater amps. Now I'm not flat out saying they are bad what I'm saying is they are not built as well or from as quality a set of materials as the makes I've mentioned here (Mercury, Heyboer, Magnetic components are all good from the US or Langer in Europe).

They are probably every bit as good as those fitted to modern Marshall and Fender amps - they are not as good as those fitted to Soldano (MM and DeYound for the SLO), Mesa (USA built, own design), Diezel (Langer) or USA Egnater (Heyboer).

The OP was asking for the differences and this is one of the areas that Randall tried to go cheap! Rob's got an interesting side by side of the standard one and an MM one here:

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=19736&sid=2837e3443ca9af398b736d226f4265a5

Now let me be clear when I say change the transformers I do mean the PT, OT and Choke - not just the PT. Does this make the biggest difference to your sound, no it makes a difference if you play loud, if you are playing at a house friendly volume you will not hear much difference. If you turn up above 11 o'clock on the master volume you will :)

Now if the OP's question had been what positively changes my MTS sound, in order of most change for your money I'd go with this list:

• Guitar lessons
    Modded Modules / Speakers
    Better tubes
    Foglifter / MDA
    PT/OT/Choke

For the simple reason that, as noted by withmittens, changing the transformers is expensive!

I still find it odd. I am still impressed with the Randall OP transformers.

Does anybody have actual measured data that the Randall transformers are inferior?

I also ment to mention that Randall produced some different amps to the Egnater line:

The RM1250:

DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_423970_R.jpg

And the RM22, which confusingly is 18 Watts:

Randall%20RM22%201.jpg

RM 1250: Has KT 77's in good condition one of the racksides is bent
$800 paypal gift, plus shipping

RM 20 Head: Great condition new EL 84s put in sounds great
$275 paypal gift plus shipping

RM50 Head: Great Condition Has 6v6 will throw in 6l6/El34s
$375 paypal Gift plus shipping

All Modules in great condition
Dual Module
Egnater Vox: Has the switch to use on single channel amps
$250 shipped / Paypal gift

Salvation Mods/SG Mods/Motorcity Mods: All $375 Shipped Paypal Gift

MatchVox: Custom EQ switch on the outside
Salvado Deluxe: Tight/Bite/Crunch/Overdrive
Shiver: Facelift/Boost
Rhoadie: Has all the goodies

SG Fisch: Awesome Sounf
SG Bully: This is Van Halen
Maggie: Sounds Awesome, I will include the 1/8 to 1/4 for footswitch

Vooodo Mods: $225 Shipped Paypal Gift
3rd Eye: From the band of the same name, they used a combo of Marshall and Vox on their first album
Trainwreck: Has thick Voxy sound, doesn't get super gain

Randall JTM $125

Latest posts