• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Synergy/MTS Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB - Modded Clean Module: Twinface, Twintone, etc.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corium_AZ

Reaction score
Just looking for a nice modded clean, Fender-y module. Twinface, JF Twin, JF Texas Special, etc. Something like that. Maybe even a dual channel Eggie T/D.

Let me know what you've got.

BTW - Already have a JF Twox & Vybe Deluxe.

Drew - Sold the MOD50 already, but I did pick up an RM20. So, if that TS has a different voicing on each channel, I'm interested. I'd just have rob add the A/B switch. If it's just different gain levels, I'll pass. Thanks either way!

El bumpo! I think I've seen about every module made up for sale here since I posted this, but not a single Twin type mod, lol. C'mon man!

Bruce TwinFace is the nuts and nobody is probably ever gonna sell one. Bite the bullet and order it from Matt ;)

Capt_Tippy said:
Bruce TwinFace is the nuts and nobody is probably ever gonna sell one. Bite the bullet and order it from Matt ;)

Yeah, I've considered it. But I guess I'm just a cheap ***, lol.

In any case, have you possibly had the occasion to compare the twinface to other clean/ish modules? I have a Twox and a VybeDeluxe & id hate to drop $400 on a new Twinface if it just overlaps those. Is it like a twin in that it's a clean machine? Stays clean pretty much all the way? That is what I'm after, btw.

I have a Vybe and lots of other clean modules. The TwinFace sounds unique. There is some overlap, but the TwinFace has a very wide range. It goes from Vybe territory all the way to the dirty chan of a SuperSonic territory. The dirty on the Twinface is much better than the dirty on the Vybe. It sounds a lot like you put an MXR Distortion in front of a Fender amp. Its a much more modern tone than the Vybe. It is the perfect Fender module. If you like the Fender tones, clean and dirty, that's the one you want. I kept the Vybe because the Vybe (to my ears) is more of a 50's-60's Fender tone. The TwinFace is more or a 70's-90's tone. I've never played a Twox, so I'm not sure what a Twox sounds like. I do have a Voxless Module. The TwinFace probably won't do any Vox tones. It's strictly Fender. If Anthony said.... How can I make this module better? I'd have to say (for Fender tones), I'm not sure he could.

I'll add my 2 cents. The Texas Special doesn't have much headroom and distorts too easily. It's a great tone, but not a great clean module. I've said it many times, but the Twox is by FAR my favorite clean module. Tons of headroom, but it is a tweed Bassman tone. For Blackface Twin/Deluxe tones Rob's Twintone is fantastic! The one I had featured a boost too. It emulated a cranked Deluxe really well. I used the Twox for my clean and that mod as a slightly broken up tone. It was fun to play and if I would have had the money I would of kept it. Surprisingly I found that I preferred the JF XTC for that tone. Much more clarity.
The new Synergy Twin/Deluxe is REALLY good! Separate EQs for each channel and they sound quite different. After the Twox, this is my 2nd favorite clean.

audiomidijace said:
I'll add my 2 cents. The Texas Special doesn't have much headroom and distorts too easily. It's a great tone, but not a great clean module. I've said it many times, but the Twox is by FAR my favorite clean module. Tons of headroom, but it is a tweed Bassman tone. For Blackface Twin/Deluxe tones Rob's Twintone is fantastic! The one I had featured a boost too. It emulated a cranked Deluxe really well. I used the Twox for my clean and that mod as a slightly broken up tone. It was fun to play and if I would have had the money I would of kept it. Surprisingly I found that I preferred the JF XTC for that tone. Much more clarity.
The new Synergy Twin/Deluxe is REALLY good! Separate EQs for each channel and they sound quite different. After the Twox, this is my 2nd favorite clean.

Did either the Twintone or the Synergy T/D have more headroom than the TWox? I actually find that my Vybe Deluxe has more headroom than my Twox - have to keep gain down below 10 o'clock to keep it clean with my guitars. I just slightly prefer the cleans on the TWox to the Vybe. Looking for a high headroom BF clean tone...

I can't say that they did have more headroom. You might try a 12AT7 or 12AU7 in V1 of the module. I'm using vintage output humbuckers with a Genelex in V1 and a Groovetubes in V2.

Corium_AZ said:
audiomidijace said:

Did either the Twintone or the Synergy T/D have more headroom than the TWox? I actually find that my Vybe Deluxe has more headroom than my Twox - have to keep gain down below 10 o'clock to keep it clean with my guitars. I just slightly prefer the cleans on the TWox to the Vybe. Looking for a high headroom BF clean tone...

Get a JF Super Clean - miles of headroom - I use mine with actives and it still totally fine :)

Corium_AZ said:
audiomidijace said:

Twinface has a lot of headroom. It stays completely clean unless you flip the switch. If you've ever played a SuperSonic the Twinface is very similar to that amp. The Supersonic has a Burn channel, and the Twinface has a switch that basically acts like the Burn Chan of the Supersonic. With the switch off the Twinface is 100% like a Blackface Fender Twin Reverb from the 80's.

Trust me Bruce, if you want a Fender Clean, the Twinface is what you want. Just make sure Fender Clean is what you want, but that Module does the Fender tones better than a lot of Fender amps LoL

Capt_Tippy said:
Corium_AZ said:
audiomidijace said:

Twinface has a lot of headroom. It stays completely clean unless you flip the switch. If you've ever played a SuperSonic the Twinface is very similar to that amp. The Supersonic has a Burn channel, and the Twinface has a switch that basically acts like the Burn Chan of the Supersonic. With the switch off the Twinface is 100% like a Blackface Fender Twin Reverb from the 80's.

Trust me Bruce, if you want a Fender Clean, the Twinface is what you want. Just make sure Fender Clean is what you want, but that Module does the Fender tones better than a lot of Fender amps LoL

Ok, good to know. Thanks. Yes, Fender clean is what I'm after. I've yet to find a clean I like better (well, maybe the Bogner Shiva clean, which is really nice). I really like Fender dirty too, but my Vybe and TWox nail those no problem. Hell, I love the cleans from my TWox, I'd just like to get more volume and spank - just like a BF Twin...

audiomidijace said:
I can't say that they did have more headroom. You might try a 12AT7 or 12AU7 in V1 of the module. I'm using vintage output humbuckers with a Genelex in V1 and a Groovetubes in V2.

I've actually tried this. I've found that all it does is require me to raise the gain more and I just end up with basically the same tone and volume, just at a different knob position. That, and I always lose some snap/spank with the lower gain tubes. I currently have a couple NOS AX7's in there (RCA's or Raytheons I think, cant remember - they sound great and are married to that module). I too use vintage output 'buckers (Fralin PAF's in the PRS, Mojotone WRHB's in the Tele) - and I just cant keep that TWox clean and also keep up with my Vybe volume-wise.

I love the TWox tho, wouldn't get rid of it for sure. I think if I got a twin mod, the TWox would just live in my RM20 - a very good match with the EL-84's IMO.

webrthomson said:
Get a JF Super Clean - miles of headroom - I use mine with actives and it still totally fine :)

I have tried one in the past, and much preferred the tone of my Vybe (didn't have the TWox at the time). It sounded nice, but IIRC it sounded a bit sterile, like a Mesa clean. In any case, I didn't keep it, so I must not have gelled with it, lol.

No cleans to sell here but I'd consider a JF OD Special. I have that and a Twinface and those are my 2 cleanest modules. Mine are dualies though so I'm just referring to the cleaner ch of the OD Special. That ch can get real sparklely.