• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Synergy/MTS Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WARNING if you ship to Canada via FedEx from USA

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okstrat

Reaction score
Here's the scoop:

Shipped a module to a guy in Canada back around October. Via FedEx, declared the module value on the paperwork. He got it, all is good.

Nope.

FedEx is coming after *me* for tariffs/taxes whatever that they charge recipients of packages that he didn't pay when he got the module. It's around $80, not going to kill me to pay, but it's the principle. If this happens every time I ship something to Canada, it makes no sense for me to continue.

I immediately contacted the buyer back in December, he said he paid it.

Got another notice from FedEx that he ignored all attempts to contact him for the fees and that *I* was on the hook for it. Recieved this 1/26. Sent the recpient another email on 1/26. Sent another one today. Still haven't recieved a reply from him.

I shouldn't have to pay this fee, as it's a fee charged the recpient of the package, not the shipper. But FedEx wants their fees from someone, and I have a FedEx account and they claim he has avoided paying the fees and doesn't reply to their attempts at contact.

Canadian folk - is this something that only FedEx does, or is it a USPS thing too, or how does it work? I'm a bit peeved that they let him have the package without paying the extra fees... and a bit more peeved that apparently he is going to stick me with them.

Pete

I know the feeling, Except I had to pay $400 in tariff fees to ship an rm100 head to Alberta, canada. :cry: I learned my lesson, I'll gonna stay away from dealing with customs!!!!!

FedEx did *exactly* the same thing to me when I shipped a computer to Italy....their system doesn't tie out very well if they hand the package off for local delivery and even though I shipped against someone elses FedEx account #, they come after the shipper for any unpaid fees.

With persistence I managed to get the Italian office and US talking and they realised a paperwork mistake and they'd already collected the fees on delivery...cheeky bastards!

AFAIK USPS/Canada Post does not do this as they won't deliver the item unless the fees are paid.

Sounds like USPS from now on for Canada deals then... which sucks, FedEx is faster IMHO and you can track it easier.

Last thing I want to do is punish people from another country just because of one bad egg. :) Good info in this thread, thanks guys!

Pete

Lesson: Don't ship to Canada.

Sorry you all had to learn the hard way. Thanks for sharing your hard stories so the rest of us don't get burned.

okstrat said:
Sounds like USPS from now on for Canada deals then... which sucks, FedEx is faster IMHO and you can track it easier.

Last thing I want to do is punish people from another country just because of one bad egg. :) Good info in this thread, thanks guys!

Pete

Hope it wasn't a regular on here? :evil:

NEVER ship FedEx or UPS to Canada! We get burned on this as well.

I've 'NEVER' had an issue shipping or receiving from USPS or Canada Post... (132 rating on Ebay, no negatives; no issues from buying and selling on here either).

And I've shipped guitars, amps, combos... etc...

UPS/Fedex pay (charge) for brokerage fees... THAT's where they nail you!

Ya, USPS and Canada Post is slower, but at least it gets there!

Same as johnodge here,

I've bought numerous modules and lately an RM4 here on the forum and never had any problem having my goods delivered via USPS. The same thing goes for items i bought on eBay.

It may be slower than UPS but a lot more affordable and just as safe.

Please don't exclude doing business with us Canadians, just learn how to do it.

Peace

I shipped a KH3 to johnodge; $8 USPS; took 10 days or so but it arrived fine. I nearly spent the extra $$$ to go UPS just for the tracking, but after this thread, glad I didn't. I'll ship to fellow forum members from da great white north. Just use good ol' USPS.

dboy5150 said:
I shipped a KH3 to johnodge; $8 USPS; took 10 days or so but it arrived fine. I nearly spent the extra $$$ to go UPS just for the tracking, but after this thread, glad I didn't. I'll ship to fellow forum members from da great white north. Just use good ol' USPS.
That's right.....the GOOD OLD USPS!! :wink:
*sorry...had to do a cheap plug for the Postal service!*
Customs are ALWAYS Assessed to the person receiving the item when shipping thru the Postal service. And just let them know before you ship it out thru the Postal Service that if their customs agents want to assess import taxes....they are TOTALLY RELIABLE for them. But been working it for nearly 18 years .....not a problem shipping outside the USA. But like Pete mentioned....Fed ex does a BETTER tracking job for items shipped inside the USA.

JKD said:
okstrat said:

Pete

I'm going to give them a few more days before I start the big reveal.

Pete

Just got emails, proverbial check is in the mail. Crossing my fingers... but I'm still going to do the USPS thing from now on. :)

Pete

JKD said:
okstrat said:

Pete

Me too!! Hope he's not a reg on here! :evil: ....ba$tards like that ruin it for the rest of us! Pete, give me his local and I'll pay him a visit! :wink:

And ANYTIME I have done business with FedEX or UPS, if there were charges I HAD to pay before getting the parcel....so I don't know how the hell he pulled that one off!

I've been doing business with Doug's Tubes (great guy to deal with), recently with Jaded Faith, Mailman, Pete just sent me back the 1086 and I'm sending down other mods to be hot rodded very soon. USPS\Canada Post might be a bit slower, but there's none of this crap to deal with! And Doug's Tubes always sends the parcel with tracking. A little extra, but worth it to know where it is at ALL TIMES....not to mention no "extra charge" surprises!

Sorry Pete...really am...and it really pisses me off. :evil:

I just shipped a module out to Pedro last weekend and it was about $20.00 USPS Priority mail but no hassel and it was insured as well.
Thats right....NO DEAD BEATS!! Get em' Pedro!! :twisted:

Dammmn Straight!

And honestly....which I guess only applies to honest folk :lol: ...if there was EVER a time I owed ANYONE extra, because of a miscalculation or WHATEVER, I would GLADLY pay! You know the old saying...."take care of them, they take care of you". Soon as you screw someone over once, your options diminish...only stupid people want that!

Now that I'm on fire...I'm gonna go out and shovel the 3 feet of (*&^%$ snow that just fell on us! :lol: :shock:

Ahem...and I just happen to be a member of the Lynch Mob Canadian chapter... :lol: ...so you's get a discount! (...you already do anyways....our buck sucks lately! :shock: ...)

Good ol' USPS to Canada, no exceptions. I have sent stuff to several Canadian members from here and never had a hassle from them. Tracking sucks, but it's a small trade off. Plus Pedro is a cool dude and no one should be afraid to ship to him! :wink:

I have no problems with my neighbors to the north, But Canadian Customs agents are some of the most miserable people in the world. You know thier lunch money never made past the bus stop! I go on 2-3 fishing trips a year in Canada. Crossing the border is a PAIN! But no offense to Canadians, I have a lot of friends up there.

Latest posts