why do you use EMG's?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me?
low noise in high gain situations, high output, electrically well grounded.
3 very good reasons to consider them.
here me and my emgs at
youtube search for "The Fuse" (my band) and Mulcahys (a club)
I have several videos up of Us playing live.
GtrGeorge

They came with the guitar I bought.

I'm building a few others, and I'm going passive. Eventually I'm going to swap out my EMGs. I find that yes, they sound good and are low-noise in high gain situations, but I also find them rather one-dimensional. Especially the 81. I prefer an EMG 85 in the bridge position but realize I am in the minority.

I'm in the process of trying out different pickups and expect to leave EMG entirely. This is not to say they don't make a great product. They do. I'm just not there, and I'm also not into having to swap out volume pedals depending on which guitar I happen to have plugged in.

Why not? It is not like they're bad pickups. You like them or you don't.

For me .... I like the sound and I want all my guitars to have roughly the same outlput level, and that is quite difficult with a Strat having the vintage pickups, a Les Paul having original PAFs, and an Explorer having moderate high gain pickups. So now I have all my guitars sporting EMG pickups.

I like running the 81 at 18 volts... gives it less gain and more articlation.

Quiet, well balanced no harsh top no muddy bottom.

I have used an 85 and an 81 alot out live..and its 2010 and its kinda like "the right tools for the job".
Personally passive pickups have so much more unique character...but its 2010 and its lost on alot people. But people do notice noise and buzz. And people (myself included) appreciatte consistancy...and an 81 is an 81, if ya get my drift.
I wish emg would offer some other things but its just not what they do. I have looked extensively at their line from 86 till now and there are definetly gaps. But emgs are very industry standard right now.
GtrGeorge

I prefer the 81/89 - they are high gain, and I love the look of a flat, black pickup. I have been curious about the duncan blackouts though, has anyone tried them?

I have many guitars but really like my ESP/LTD EC-1000 Deluxe...She has 85/81 EMGs and is best suited for brutal and tight distortion...If I'm playing something heavy, I like EMGs...For everything else, there's Mastercard...

You can do more than just metal with EMGs. Just as you can do more than metal with Randall Amps.

My guitars are as follows:

Gibson LP deLuxe - 85/60
Gibson Explorer - 81 X/85 X
Fender Stratocaster - 3 x SA-V, SPC, EXG
Custom Built Strat - 89/SLV/SLV
Epiphone Flying V - 81 X/85 X
Ibanez Destroyer - 81/85
Squier Bullet Stratocaster - 81TW/89/89 R

As you can see quite an array of the various EMG pickups, and I use the guitars with any kind of music. I do confess though that the Destroyer and the Bullet were outfitted with metal in mind, but the other two Strats are my main guitars and they've played pop (singer/songwriter stuff), country, classic rock, metal... even some funky stuff.

Julia,
I love a PAF..but if your gonna play very commercial music or do alot of recording..emg are very convenient and have THAT sound.
Nigel,
I found that once emgs had an SPX and some other gain circuit added..they can get to nosy. I noticed that with the Gilmore set..kinda cool at first but the noise was a pain after a while. Hell, If Im gonna deal with noise..I'll just go passive..the tone is so much more authentic.
GtrGeorge

GtrGeorge! said:
Nigel,
I found that once emgs had an SPX and some other gain circuit added..they can get to nosy. I noticed that with the Gilmore set..kinda cool at first but the noise was a pain after a while. Hell, If Im gonna deal with noise..I'll just go passive..the tone is so much more authentic.
GtrGeorge
SPX? I guess you mean the SPC (Strat Presence Control). I don't notice any noise, apart from the normal gain noise of a "dimed amp".

yes, It was the SPC and the other circuit that comes stock on a Gilmour set of emgs.
I did alot of recording with it..and alot of comparing it on seperate tracks..very carefully. Same part, same day etc etc
There was more noise than I like..and the tone was good but still not what I prefer so I sold the entire set.
Im happy with the emg81 or 85s I use now..and although I dig the single coils I have from emg..I think there is still room for improvements in the emg line.
GtrGeorge

GtrGeorge! said:
yes, It was the SPC and the other circuit that comes stock on a Gilmour set of emgs.
I did alot of recording with it..and alot of comparing it on seperate tracks..very carefully. Same part, same day etc etc
There was more noise than I like..and the tone was good but still not what I prefer so I sold the entire set.
Im happy with the emg81 or 85s I use now..and although I dig the single coils I have from emg..I think there is still room for improvements in the emg line.
GtrGeorge
I have them too on my Strat, though I didn't get a Gilmour guard as I combined the controls with SA-V pickups.

As I said, I never noticed excessive noise coming from them.

In this day and age of MP3s & ipods I don't think there is really an issue with EMGs being sterile. Although I can't say I thought they were sterile. But at any rate the reasons I like EMGs: I like the sound, although I have to say I don't really like the 81. It is ok, but I prefer the 85 or 89 especially in the bridge position. Eventually I will move my 89 in the neckof my DXMG to the bridge & the 81 into the neck... or sell it & get another 89. The quick connect feature is also a plus. I really liked this when I swapped my 85 & 81 around on my King V.

AB the passive EMG's with the Actives. I find the actives to be far noisier because the op amps in them produce white noise.

I use them because i like the tone, but i do use them at 18v it does not decrease the gain, it actually increases the output a little, and clarity.

nomad100 said:
i do use them at 18v it does not decrease the gain, it actually increases the output a little, and clarity.

Ditto on on the 18v & clarity.

Latest posts