Needed an all in one portable amp...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khingpynn

Reaction score
so I got a Marshall AVT275... reearsed with it last night plugged into two Lynch Box Cabs... pretty cool for a Tube/SS/Digital hybrid amp.

All the tube details are not there however...

I find the clean cleans pretty amazing... JC120 cleans are my fav and are no problem with this amp.

the acoustic sim is good and suits single coils best

OD I crunch channel which covers JCM 800 to 2000 manages to get the essential frequencies accross and propper compression which results in a clean artifact free ( I cannot hear any ) distortion. Again not all the details are there like with all tube designs however in a band situation where much is lost it's difficult to tell the difference... other than it's a very clean uniform gain voicing. In the past this sounded sterile to me but not so much on this amp.

OD II covers modern high gain and just nails the 80's hi gain Marshall inspired tones I love... the clean qualities of the distortion I mentioned before really shine here. When you pile on lots of dirt it still retains clarity.

The 6 switch pedalboard that comes with switches each channel independantly... then there is one switch for effects on Acoustic sim and clean, and one switch for both OD channels.

No it does not sound like a tube amp and most players will hear the difference right away... still though it's a pretty good sounding amp.

I needed an all in one portable combo. At 60lbs it's still heavy but not near as heavy as any all tube 2x12 I've owned and much easier to tote around than a half stack... that said i will use it occasionlly while the Lynch Box remains my main amp.

I also like that it is closed back and has two ( stereo ) 75 watt amps at ohms... I can easily plug in the Lynch Box cabs which sound way better than the combo.

Cheers

Now if you'd found a 100 you would have had those details, but the 75 is a good amp. It's not a modeling amp. It's a hybrid amp so you won't get any artifacts that were prevalent in the first modelers (goddess knows I can't hear any artifacts from my POD HD).

And you have to also realize that 90% of people's gigs could be done on a Peavey Bandit and no one would know the difference or care except for the guitarist.

You remember my thread where out of four Marshall amps the Valvestate100 won even from discerning tube amp people on the Marshall forum?

So congrats on not having to change tubes all the time. My main recording rig and practice rig has not become the POD HD and Powered Monitors or PA. It's been two months since firing up the Lynch Box.

So the 275 is solid state/tube hybrid and the 100 is digital? Cool... I tend to use my ears and not my eyes... the 275 just sounds great for a 2x12 amp... period... Lynch Box still sounds better but thats not the point here... the point is portable all in one :)

With otehr digital stuff i tend to hear a lot of digital garbage... not with this amp though... even in the effects.

from what I just read both the AVT 100 and 275 have Solid State power amp, solidstate/tube hybrid preamp and Digital effects... apparently all of the AVT line does.
The effects are very clean and not like some other digital effects I've heard.
However they dialed in the gain voicing it sure is a job well done.

I had an AVT head.

it doesn't have the power of course, but sounds pretty good. The DSP board went out pretty fast. Changing one speaker may do the amp a lot of good. Also, changing the 12ax7 can help too (see other thread! lol) I used it with a 1960. Have you tried the "Spider Valve" ? more "versatile" than the AVT, maybe it sounds good?

Good luck!

an all in one amp...
the closest things I can actually deal with are: the vox advt amps(uses a tube..but still alot of SS in there. Its a modeler but actually sounds good. To bad it has NO MIDI..YUK!!!!!!)
...and our Randall Rm50 combo..much bigger but still usable. In fact, with the right modules..its unstoppable.
I again plead to the Bruce Egnaters of the world, give us all a 3 module MTS amp with a usable loop and midi, at a decent weight and we can just buy it and be done with it.
Its almost 2011 for pete's sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GtrGeorge

I hear ya... my origional intent was to purchase a used RM 50 but they are just not out there... I liked the AVT 275 when i played a Les Paul Axcess thru it and decided to go for it. As long as it stays running good it will work out.

The Vox Valvetronix is a decent sounding line of amps... I like them and might have went with one if it was available. Like the Marshall they use one preamptube.

I changed out the preamp to from the cheap chinese made marshall tube to a mid 60's blackplate Sylvania 5751. I have a few left... it made a huge difference in the highs and though it's less gain than a 12AX7 it's barely noticable in this amp.

yeah..sometimes "product" is hard to find. I once railed against all that here..but I dont think anyone cared.
The other day the store where I teach had no vox amps..I asked and the manager said the Line6 outsells them. Yuk!!! is all I could say.
Back on topic..whatver works for you. Its all good.
GtrGeorge