To oil or not to oil....that is the question.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shredzilla

Reaction score
I usually oil my rosewood fretboards about once or twice a year with good results but have never oiled my one ebony fretboard. Should the ebony be oiled as well ? Use the same product as for the rosewood boards?

Also, have a Peavey Wolfgang with the nearly unfinished maple board. I assume this would NOT require oiling ? If thats the case, what does one use to clean/condition ? Dr Stringfellow lemon oil conditioner will work on maple ?

On the ebony board: yes.

On the maple? NEARLY unfinished. That means it has a finish? Satin maybe? If it is finished, no. If unfinished, I don't know. That would imply the entire neck is unfinished? Or is it an oiled finish?

I've got an oiled neck on my acoustic that I should get some Danish oil to re-apply. It's been about 18 months. Fret board is rosewood so I won't be using Danish oil on that.

To me the maple board and neck on the Wolfgang feels unfinished, but I have read it has a light oil finish. Feels like bare wood to me though.

Do not use lemon oil on maple at all ever. If you need to refinish the VH style finish you need to sand the neck with 600 then 1000 grit sandpaper then use gunstock wax. There is a video on youtube from Ernie Ball Music Man (the people who perfected the VH neck feel) where he demonstrates on a Petrucci. As for the Ebony yes you can use lemon oil, same as on rosewood.

Peace, Joshua

So what product should be used to clean the maple board on the Wolfgang ? This seems to become dirty fairly easily.

For general cleaning you can use something like Murphy's oil soap. For deep cleaning and finishing you have to sand the old finish a bit and refinish with a standard gunstock wax from a sporting goods store. I personally don't mess with my axis finish. It looks nasty but the oils help it play faster and smoother. Here's the link for the EBMM video. He uses lemon oil on the rosewood fretboard but for maple just repeat what he did to the back on the fretboard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24yWr2LRmJY&feature=channel_video_title

Peace, Joshua

You can probably use something like a Watco rejuvenating oil on the Wolfgang if it is an oiled finish.

I've also had necks on a couple guitars that felt unfinished but in reality had a very thin flat poly finish on them. If the dirt comes right off it's finished with something. If you can't get the dirt out it's unfinished. Very very few manufacturers let an unfinished neck go out of the factory and if they do so it is without warranty.