Amp advice - choices

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MontyW

Reaction score
Currently researching a number of modules and now need to consider what power amp to use.

I note the Randall RT2/50 is no longer available, so what do you guys recommend I look into?? Preferably valves and not SS.

MontyW said:
Currently researching a number of modules and now need to consider what power amp to use.

I note the Randall RT2/50 is no longer available, so what do you guys recommend I look into?? Preferably valves and not SS.

Hiya, I'd recommend picking up a used RT2/50 personally....I love mine and it makes MTS more versatile as you can assign different power tubes to different modules...Otherwise, I've not really heard of any "bad" tube power amps....But if you really wanna get into MTS, RT2/50...

Good luck!

This is a topic where my opinion differs from the majority. I prefer a VHT 2|90|2 with KT88s. I believe the MTS preamps are designed to color the sound all by themselves. I attempt to get the cleanest power tube possible, adding the least amount of tone. I believe the MTS rig sounds best through a VHT with KT88s. Just my 2 cents, as this is opinion based.

drewiv said:
This is a topic where my opinion differs from the majority. I prefer a VHT 2|90|2 with KT88s. I believe the MTS preamps are designed to color the sound all by themselves. I attempt to get the cleanest power tube possible, adding the least amount of tone. I believe the MTS rig sounds best through a VHT with KT88s. Just my 2 cents, as this is opinion based.

Yeah that makes perfect sense to me - a neutral amp so the modules are not colored by the pweramp.

Interesting question. Maybe Bruce Almighty could chime in. If the modules are indeed designed in a neutral power amp environment then they would do all of the coloring and take the power section out of the equation. Now if the modules are built and tested around the RM100 power section with specific tubes ie. 6L6's then they are going to sound best and most like the amp they are replicating in the tested design configuration. That being said for me 6L6's always sound fendery/boogieish and EL34's always sound Marshally. Your ears hear what they are looking for just like mine hear what they want.

Last week I posted that I have been using my Uberschall as a power amp for my RM4 and the modules in it take on a whole new vibe, feel and bottom end not found in much else. Maybe Bogner should enter the power amp arena. If my VHT had a loop I would try it as my power amp. So many options.

Well the RT2/50 much like the VHT and the Mesa 2:50 are indeed transparent and really nice. Beware certain amps like the Mesa 2:90 or marshalls as they tend to bring in extra flavor that may not play well with a preamp like the RM4. And the RT can tube switch, if you're into that.

Never owned a Randall(except for an Excalibur,lol) but have used a lot of Marshalls, a few Mesa and eventually landed on the VHT 2502. It's a tank and can be had used for pretty cheap or new for big $(Fryette).

drewiv said:

You've got me on the lookout for a 2/90/2...You *******!!! :lol:

If you are on a budget,you shoul dlook into the Peavey 50/50 or a Carvin T100...both are great and reasonably priced without compromising your tonal quality....

I was thinking of going the preamp-amp route too (didn't)

I was going to look at a solid state sound reinforcement amp for monitors. Since all the tone shaping comes from the preamps and I would have never pushed the power tubes enough (at house volumes) to get power amp breakup, I was looking at these because they are so clean and transparent. I was after a 100-200 watt mono amp. They are a little hard to find, but infinitely more affordable than most tube power amps. (much cheaper just to buy a powered head)

Now if you are playing out, and doing really big shows, you might want a tube power amp.
I've just done so many shows where I was mic'd and run through the board anyway, that I know my tone won't be hurt by an SS amp.

I used a Peavey 120/120 for years with my M4 and got nothing but compliments on my on my tone. At Bruce's advice I went with 5881's and loved it up until the point where I got a steal on a Marshall EL34 100/100 which, of course, is modified by Bruce with double density controls on the rear.

Personally, I think a power amp should add to your tone. Everything I plug into my Marshall just sounds better

If your looking for tube power with economy in mind, look for the 120/120, 60/60 or the short lived Peavey 50/50. The 60/60 sounds pretty much identical to the 120/120, but 50/50's - at least the one I played with - had EL34's, which to me sound the best

VHT's are killer, but can be pricey and I have heard good things about the Carvin TS100, but never had one in my face

Hope this helps

Good Luck

H