Ordered some Behringer pedals

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfig

Reaction score
OK, number one...I don't pay regular price for much gear these days...These Behringer pedals were about 75 bucks for all 4...

Here's what I ordered and why:

1 Behringer Reverb pedal - Cause I don't lean heavily on reverb and it's adequate...

1 Behringer Noise Redux Pedal - For just jamming....Not big expectations...Especially now that I've been spoiled with the Decimator Racks...Nothing can come close....

NOW....

2 Behringer OD800 pedals - HERE'S THE KICKER...Because they are better than any Ibanez or Maxon I've ever played...Yep, they're made of plastic and look laughable....Try one out and call me a liar....Fucking unbelievable value....Even if you end up choosing Ibanez, Maxon, or whatever- you will respect that the Behringer is a keeper and in "that crowd."

I gotta say that I've had wonderful luck with their gear...I know they've faced some lawsuits over copyright infringement...But they are the Wal-Mart of musical gear and make some pretty decent stuff...

Carry on....

You cant put that on here!!! hahaha Now I think you have something here. I have found some lower end pedals or other gear do suffice. I havent tried too much of the BagDinger stuff but most that I had was good. I purchased my son a guitar/amp package deal some years ago and it worked out great. Guitar is gone but the amp made it all worth it. I was caught playing on that little sucker all the time. I also recieved in trade a compressor pedal. It was really good. Had a bright blue l.e.d and all. Still wish I had it but I would cower when peeps looked at my pedal board and seen it. Maybe I should have just painted it. :idea:

Curious, I've heard avoid everything Behringer save the FCB. What Ibanez and Maxon ODs are you comparing against?

I've also heard the the Danoelectro transparent overdrive is pretty good.

disk11 said:
Curious, I've heard avoid everything Behringer save the FCB. What Ibanez and Maxon ODs are you comparing against?

I've also heard the the Danoelectro transparent overdrive is pretty good.

Maxon OD808 and TS808 ... The Behringer is right there with them and, for my taste, sits right where it should...It tightens the tone nicely without taking away as much bass as my TS-808 or Maxon...

:D

You are a maverick Mr. Fig. :shock:
Behringer...OK...I'll try some out. I'll take your word for it. I try to keep my mind open. What if 20 years from now the Behringer pedals are touted as the cream of the crop. It could happen...
At the prices they sell for they are certainly worth trying.
(Pssst...Give a Tech21 XXL OD a try if you can find one. Most underrated OD ever.)

Update:

Just took delivery of two more TO800s and one was a total dog...Sounded like ****...The other was flawless...

If you do order one Daryl- if it sounds like total ****- it's probably a bad one....I'm afraid that is one of the pitfalls of their pedals in particular...There are demos online that sum it up pretty well...I swear this one today is wired completely wrong and different than the others...I think a Chinese monkey made it 'cause there was a lot of hair and scratches on it too...Must be a new Behringer division... :)

I've got one of those. I like it, and it is cheaper than a Ibby or Maxon. Some complain about the mid-hump it has but it doesn't bother me.

Bad monkey owner here... It does good for the cash, but you may be disappointed if you compare it to analog overdrives.

Jacksauce said:
Bad monkey owner here... It does good for the cash, but you may be disappointed if you compare it to analog overdrives.

Agreed with both the above and disk11's comments...I have the expensive Ibbys, Maxons, and some tube-based ones too ...Some have Keeley mods, blah blah blah...I'm learning that for my taste, the OD in front doesn't need to be fancy to work well...I use it for simple tone tightening and what I've found is that the price differences are huge when you consider something like a handwired TS808 vs a 20 buck Behringer or 40 dollar Bad Monkey...But the tone differences, again for my usage, are not nearly as large...Now, if I was trying to push a clean amp into mid or high gain- I'd need something else...But I'm just giving a small edge in front of my mid and high gainers...Therefore the cheaper ones have been surprisingly good...Not all of them as I've been experimenting...For example, I don't like many of the Boss drivers much at all...They're ok but for the price I would get something else or buy 5 Behringers.. :D

The Monkey will stay a part of my live rig as I like the controls and how they function...Adding some bass back in can sometimes be the difference in tone in a small club where I can't go to even half volume and use my usual settings...

Totally agree Fig. All of the tube screamers are over-priced. Is it me or does the Bad Monkey seems to suck some tone/sparkle out of the sound though?

Jacksauce said:
Totally agree Fig. All of the tube screamers are over-priced. Is it me or does the Bad Monkey seems to suck some tone/sparkle out of the sound though?

The Bad Monkey does tone-suck quite a bit when off and left in the chain...That is probably why it's the price it is...I use it in a buffered loop so when it's not being used, it isn't in my signal chain...Tone suck is the downside of the Behringers too...I've done a few true-bypass mods but never on either the Monkey or a Behringer...I've read that the Monkey is hard to do with limited space...The Behringers just aren't worth it to me honestly....If I use them it is also in a buffered loop...

The best tube screamers are the ones that are subtle and natural...I can see paying 100+ for a death metal pedal or something that actually has a significant role in your tone...But I just want a little natural breakup to tighten things up and can get that from lots of pedals- the cheap ones can be as good as expensive in this category...Granted build quality is a factor and anyone who has seen or touched a Behringer knows they're as cheap as can be...I don't have to worry about tone sucking so I can experiment safely with cheaper alternatives and have found the results are quite similar in some cases...

That's my favorite kind of overdrive too Matt, something very natural. This topic got me looking around for a new over drive. I like something that doesn't color my tone much. I found a lot of great (and expensive) overdrives that do this. I'd honestly rather drop that kind of cash on a module. However, I found a pretty cool one by DanElectro called the Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive. They run about $40-$50. Check it out.

Mattfig said:
The Bad Monkey does tone-suck quite a bit when off and left in the chain...That is probably why it's the price it is...I use it in a buffered loop so when it's not being used, it isn't in my signal chain...

What do you use as a buffer? I have a Bad Monkey and it would be nice to overcome its lack of true bypass for when I have it off for cleans

I've seen some custom "clean buffer" pedals floating around. I thought Keeley made one.

I is be sexy said:
Mattfig said:
The Bad Monkey does tone-suck quite a bit when off and left in the chain...That is probably why it's the price it is...I use it in a buffered loop so when it's not being used, it isn't in my signal chain...

What do you use as a buffer? I have a Bad Monkey and it would be nice to overcome its lack of true bypass for when I have it off for cleans

Mr Sauce is correct on the Keeley, though I've never encountered one in real life...

For my buffer I use a GCX loop switcher...Probably a bit of overkill for the common user but I have a lot of **** to control so GCX is my best option especially since I'm comfortable using it...

Latest posts