What kind of guitars do you guys use?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff R

Reaction score
I'm just curious, especially to hear your opinions on which types of pickups (singles, 'buckers, P-90s/soaps, minibuckers) work best with these amps.

I only have two guitars, a custom-order '95 Hamer Centaura/Diablo hybrid (a.k.a. the "Centablo") with two direct-mount, reverse-slant humbuckers (Duncan Jazz in neck, Duncan Distortion in bridge), and a '96 G&L Legacy with a Duncan Antiquity "Texas Hot" in the neck, a Rio Tallboy in the middle and a Duncan JB Jr. in the bridge.

Both sound great through my RM50 combo, but the amp definitely likes the Centablo's humbuckers more with my modules' bright switches on (I have a Recto and a Blackface). The G&L can get brittle quick, especially if I don't kill those bright switches, but it is just fine for the most part.

I'm eager to hear feedback about P-90s and soapbars with these amps because I may convert the Legacy to them if folks rave about them.

Live I use a Wolfgang Special and at home I use a EBMM Axis Super Sport or a Tokai Love Rock.

1999 Gibson Les Paul Classic (with custom gold sparkle finish)
1987 Gibson Les Paul Custom Lite
1983 Gibson Explorer
2001 Gibson Flying V
BC Rich Mockingbird (USA neck through)
BC Rich Bich (import, acrylic)
BC Rich Bich (import, Bich's Back graphic)
BC Rich Beast (import, NJ series)
1985-86? USA Kramer Voyager
1990? USA Kramer Stagemaster
1970's Ibanez Les Paul copy

All with humbuckers in the bridge position, which is pretty much all I use. I bring a minimum of 4 to every gig...at some of the bigger shows, I have done my Rick Nielson impression and brought all of them. :D

I've got 16 different PRS's, most of which are shown here...
prs_collection_8-1-06.jpg

- (4) Custom 24's (varying pickups: HFS/VB, Artists, Dragon I's)
- Custom 22 Semi-hollow
- Custom 22 Soapbar
- Custom 22-12 string
- CE24 (alder)
- Standard 24
- Swamp Ash Special
- EG-1
- (3) McCarty's (Rosewood, Standard, & Soapbar)
- Singlecut
- Hollowbody II w/ piezo
...plus a EBMM JP 7-string and a custom guitar from Voodoo Guitar Works ( http://www.voodooguitarworks.com ). So obviously I'm a big fan of humbuckers, but do use a lot a split-coil combinations for clean tones.

That said, I really like the sound of soapbar pickups through the MTS modules, because soapbars have a very fat & organic feel to them. The notes are huge on the cleaner modules, yet provide enough output to overdrive the medium gain modules. I haven't had as good of an experience using the P90's with high gain settings on the high-gain modules... they're definitely more prone to noise.

--B

Jacksons of course 8)
Even though I have some ESP, Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, EB MM, my favorites always have been Charvel/Jackson.

Guitars and the stories:

My pops was endorsed by tokai in the mid 80s, so i've got quite a few of them at this point the top dogs are the strat style ones, the top two are exactly what the numbers entail; very high quality vintage style strats being done when fender was on its keester doing garbage and the boutique game hadnt quite begun yet. I bring them to my local boutique shop and I kid you not, they go toe to toe with every anderson, suhr, and custom shop fender in the place.

TST-62 in bubble gum pink metallic(a true 80s guitar, never goes out of style hahaha) w/ the david gilmour emg set up(SA-1s with a mid boost and eq rather then tone controls)

TST-62 in black with a tortoise guard and three gibson legendary series p-90s : father son bonding rebuild project that we did when i was 13. Its the most versitile guitar i have unless youre doing extreme metal

AST-52 in two color sunburst with seymour duncan aps-1s wired up by roger sadowsky

Breezy Sound tele style with a curly maple top finished in burgandy stain, maple neck, soon to have a 52 style brass barrel bridge and lollars

LP studio in black w/ gold hardware liberated from my highschool band program (they bought a hollowbody for the jazz band, they didnt need it anymore and it was just gonna collect dust)

Lp jr that i got for graduation in two color sunburst

Heritage h575 goldtop w/ walnut finish back

The MTS head sounds amazing with all of them, because it is so versitile. I will never buy another head in my life...or need* one rather haha

I consider myself an Ibanez guy, but I've been playing my Peavey Wolfgangs more than anything lately.

I've got a few dozen Ibanez RGs, 2 Peavey Wolfgangs and a couple of others in the woodpile as well.

Here is the run down of my guitars:

Paul Reed Smith 2001 Mark Tremonti Singlecut (not SE version, PRS version) Main Axe
Gibson 1980 Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Gibson 1976 1854 Les Paul Reissue Turquoise Natural Burst
Gibson 1980 Les Paul Standard Ebony
Gibson 1988 Les Paul Standard Cherry Sunburst
Gibson 1995 Les Paul Studio Ebony
Gibson 1997 Ace Frehley Model Les Paul
Gibson 2002 Les Paul Voodoo
Gibson 2001 Flying V Gothic
ESP 2000 Bruce Kulick Signature Guitar
Washburn PS2000 Paul Stanley Signature Guitar
Epiphone 1999 Les Paul Standard Tobacco Sunburst
Fender Squier Stratocaster Metallic Green
Ibanez Artist Series Acoustic Guitar

I have EMG's in the 1988 Standard (81,81), 1995 Studio (81,85) and in the 2002 Voodoo (81,85). Others are stock pickups in them.

I currently have two electric guitars and one acoustic guitar.

Electrics...

2005 Carvin CT6M - which kicks ***! I call it my PRS killer...

2002 Ibanez PGM30 - Shred machine

Acoustic...

1998 Larrivee cut-away with a spruce top. Wonderful sounding instrument.

Wolfgangs mostelly, I do like the new peavey hp specials tho, and im looking foward to the new charvel "wolfgang"

My main guitar is a 97 gibson howard roberts fusion w/490 humbuckers. my spare is an esp ec1000 with emg 81s. I personally like the passive gibson pickups for all of my sounds clean, metal and everything in between.

evhwolfie said:
Wolfgangs mostelly, I do like the new peavey hp specials tho, and im looking foward to the new charvel "wolfgang"

Good man! Wolfgang's are brilliant guitars, I've had mine for a few years now and it's stood up to everything I've thrown at it, and most of all it sounds brilliant, even though it's the MIK model.

Sup?
Tim...Yeah i've got to update that with a pic of the current rotation of axes :roll:
Strange....the one in the pic(Which is Tim's.....Again :lol: ) is Black gohst flames, i think yours is Blue ghost flames,,or is that just the light ? either way it looks killer also :D
MOSH ON
DAVE

I play with an '01 PRS CE-24 (custom-wound Manlius pickups) and an LTD K-500 (Kelly Hayes [from Cold] model, upgraded with EMG 81/85 pickups, locking Sperzels, and a Tonepros T-O-M bridge) right now as I sold off most of my guitars to buy all this new amp stuff! My Thorn is on the way, that should be THE best guitar I've ever owned and won't be going anywhere... EVER. 8)