Speakers, Ugh, I know, another thread.........fuh

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

withmittens

Reaction score
so I have a 2 x 12 cab that sounds wonderful with my RM50 Combo as a main speaker not as great as with other amps though. The main speaker in the combo does not. It sounds ok but cannot compete with the 3D sound, resonance and warmth of the 2 x 12. I know this must have a lot to do with the fact that it's 2 speakers, Celestion Anniv. and the 1275T in the 2 x 12. the Combo has a V30.

I have read some threads, youtube videos, etc, about single cab speakers that sound 3d, have tons of resonance and warmth, distort well and have layers of overtones. This must be a fantasy

No speaker i have ever tried does this. except in multiples

Perhaps I have tried all the wrong ones. the 2 x 12 sounds great. the single speaker in the combo sounds sterile, and stiff. all my speakers have been broken in.

this leads me to believe, and I don't want to, that the MTS thing, perhaps in it's amp section, cannot really deliver richness and complex warmth, resonance, overtones, etc........

is there anyone who cares to dispel this or suggest a great speaker that will work in single in the combo, or other things that may help

When I plug my old Gibson amp into the 2 x 12, BAM!!! pedals and rack gear, whatever, it is huge. The RM50 Combo just is flat and blah, except when cranked, but yet still, not nearly the layers of tone I am looking for.

I want to get more mods but can't see any point if I'm stuck in this

eh?

my wife thanks you

Well, if you're looking for a 2x12 out of your 1x12 combo - you're just NOT going to get it. That being said, I put a Scumback in my MOD50 combo and that really woke it up. Still not a 2x12, but definitely more lively and "3D" than the WGS speaker that was in it (and the WGS sounded much better than the Celestion that was previously installed).

I can't recall which Scumback currently lives in the combo as I've been reloading almost all my cabs with Scumbacks after a couple experiments. I would suggest contacting Jim at Scumback and filling out his speaker "form" for his personal suggestino on your application. He is awesome to work with and KNOWS speakers. I, personally, will never buy another brand of speaker.

YMMV. I'm an idiot that doesn't know much. :)

Yea, I agree with Drew. MTS is not the problem. Trying to get huge, complex 3D tones out of a 1x12 is a waste of time. I know - I tried it for years and couldn't get close.

I've owned just about every boutique amp out there. Also owned the big name 1x12, 2x12, and 4x12 cabs. Getting huge, 3D rock tones from a 1x12 is a myth. Certainly, some are better than others, and some speakers are better than others in 1x12s. But none of them can come close to sounding like a good 2x12, much less a 4x12. It's a pipe dream, in my experience.

A good 2x12 can sound pretty close to a 4x12, but a 1x12 can't sound like a 2x12, unless you put a good single speaker in a 2x12 cab, with the other hole open. I've done this with an oversize 2x12 enclosure, and it sounded like a hugely ported cab. You need the right speaker to make this work, but you are still dealing with a 2x12 cabinet.

I could make a new speaker baffle for 2 x 10's and get some nice weber Blues or Silvers or other options, turning it into a 2 x 10 combo. i might look into this option. two speakers are better than one, combo is nice.....

Latest posts