acoustic-electric

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacksauce

Reaction score
I know, but i trust in the fellow tone junkies here. What's your favorite acoustic-electric? Taylor, Breedlove, Seagull, etc?

An unplugged mia stratocaster? Yes but not exactly what i mean...

I play most of my gigs acoustic so I need a guitar I can play for 3 hrs solid.
For tone and playability Taylor was the option I chose and I have never looked back. Such good guitars.

+1 on the Taylors, have a '97 412CE, never looked for another live A/E again. though i do like Martin's comparables and the upper end Breedloves.

I was always partial to Taylor because they are so bright and hyped sounding. As I got older, I grew to appreciate Gibson and Martin.

I own a Martin now a days and think that's probably the last acoustic I will buy. Every time I play it I just say "that's what an acoustic should sound like!"

Thanks for all the recommendations guys. I'm more of an electric guitar player but have been playing acoustic a lot lately. I'm used to low action but use a capo which helps a bit. Getting down to the models... looking at Taylor 214ce, Breedlove Atlas D25, Seagull S6, Yamaha A-Series, Martin X Series so far, any specific models you've played?

Out of those would probably go with Martin x series for fuller tone. Taylor for blending in the mix for more dense arrangements.

I have a couple of Badens that I really like. An A-Style and a D-Style, both with sitka top & rosewood sides, mahogany neck, Matrix Infinity pickups.

TJ Baden was marketing manager at Taylor. When he struck out on his own, he wanted to make a quality handmade instrument that a regular guy could afford. These are handmade by luthiers (not on a furniture production line) in Vietnam.

here's my A-Style:

2011-04-21111654.jpg

Im late to this post but..
for low dough I like Seagulls. Have used one for several years. Find a good one, and your set for low dough.
Taylor: imho, I never got all the hype..certainly good but not boutique as they are portrayed. I think they market themselves VERY well...but I feel so would every guitar maker if they did what Taylor does..put extended life coated strings on every guitar.
Martin: JF said it right...it takes time but after a while you say "Thats what an acoustic SHOULD sound like". Not hyped,not dull ...just right in this perfect medium-way. ou can EQ or adjust to taste with mics and your playing technique. I have a certain Alvarez-Yaiiri that is a fantastic version of this,btw. But A-Y models vary a great deal...they made so many designs.
And dont forget:Larivee....some are BRILLIANT!

and that off shoot guy fromTaylor..that looks quite fine!
GtrGeorge