GSP 1101 vs G-Major2

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walshinator666

Reaction score
I looking to buy a new effects processor and am having trouble deciding between the 2.Anyone here use either one.I know the gmajor has a boost feature but does the 1101.This could be the deciding factor.Thanks

walshinator666 said:
I looking to buy a new effects processor and am having trouble deciding between the 2.Anyone here use either one.I know the gmajor has a boost feature but does the 1101.This could be the deciding factor.Thanks

If I were to compare the 2 for versatility, the 1101 easily wins because of 3CM ability, allowing Pre And/Or Post FX

the Gmajor2 Manual does not mention a boost, only an EQ (which the 1101 also has, and that can be moved before, or after the preamp)
and a simple volume boost can easily be attained by upping the unit's output volume

As for fidelity, I'm not sure, the 1101 isn't an Eventide, but the Gm2 isn't TC electronics best effort either
(Yes TC is renowned for some fx, but Digitech owns Lexicon, you're getting next gen MPX G2 tech in the GSP line)

If I were to compare the 2 for versatility, the 1101 easily wins because of 3CM ability, allowing Pre And/Or Post FX
For sound, I'll bet they score about the same

I know nothing of the 1101..

but I have a older Gmajor, version1... I would choose the Gmajor if only for the build in tuner and noise-gate, and excelent ergonomics.. it's soo easey to program.

very curious about the 1101, I hope more people can reponse. You might also check rigtalk and gearslutz

I recommend doing a search of this forum. I've looked into this in the past, and there is a plethora of opinions on both...

I have both. Get the 1101. The Gmajor is a great piece of gear but the 1101 is much easier to use and get great sounds.

GSP1101 pros (assume C63 firmware):
-4cm
-transparent!
-easy and straight forward settings
-Control 2 (powerful tank built midi controller via 1 cable with huge lcd and awesome tuner)
-10 user cabinet impulse responses (!!!)
-2 LFO's (I believe Gmaj only has one but not sure)
-modelling (may not be your thing but it's always handy as a backup, or practice tool, Vox AC30 simulation sounds like Matchvox on low gains so I ended up using the simulation for cleans and now the Matchvox can be gained up to Brian May kind of sound. I also use 5150 simulation for practicing and messing around for long periods of time when I don't feel like burning the tubes in my rack.
-works really well as audio and MIDI interface with the iPad (via camera kit adapter). I use this mainly for practicing and composing (can play backing tracks from iPad, I can tap tempo metronome on my Control 2, use Loopy looper app and control it via the Digitech FS300 footswitch, record in Garageband etc.)
-noise gate can do the ISP decimator pre/post kind of thing (you may have to google this for details)

Cons:
-doesn't have relay for channel switching as Gmaj
-fairly limited changes in the effect chain - few effects have pre/post settings but that's about it
-only one modulation effect at a time (you can have reverb, delay, wah, distortion and chorus altogether but you can't have chorus and flanger together or ring modulator and whammy together)
-not very good for crazy, psychedelic, experimental etc effects, it's quite conservative although the lfo's can be assigned to control pretty much anything
- doesn't have input in the back
- had to borrow Win laptop to update firmware as the SW didn't work on Mac