Chinese made guitars?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

withmittens

Reaction score
I always try to buy an American made guitar first, Japan made second, Korean/China last. I don't mind owning a foreign made guitar

I recently bought a Rickenbacker copy from a local guy who ordered it from DHgate I'm pretty sure it's illegal because it says Made in The USA, has the logo, etc...is a faithful copy and a decent guitar.

This got me thinking, They have some pretty great looking guitars on there and a few sellers have great feedback. Now, I know buying a name counterfeit guitar with the intent to pass it off as real is a shitty thing and I would never do that, in fact I think I would carve Counterfeit somewhere on it, somewhere tasteful.....I think I could get the maker to do it since they seem to customize quite a bit...

This Rick copy I just bought local is a 12 string 360 and it's **** nice. I think I'd like to give ordering one a shot myself and get another directly from the seller, a 6 string 325 ish

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I mistakenly bought a "Fender" Strat on eBay a few years ago, but it was a Chinese knock-off. The pictures looked nice. But it was a piece of crap. I couldn't sell it in good faith so I gave it away.

I own a few guitars made in other far east countries, such as Korea. They are all high quality.

yeah, squires are Chinese knock offs, also. not exactly the same thing. Also, you can have them customize the guitars so they are not direct counterfeits with branding, etc.....

someone else must have done this at some pint.

I have a Chibson Jim Beam guitar and a chinese prs copy. I wouldn't say they are exact copies, too obvious differences they have. Hardware is crap, but basically the neck and body is lifting them to mid-level guitars. I use them for gigging, so my expensive guitars will not get degraded physically.

well, I just ordered a Ric style 325. we'll see

they allowed a good deal of customization and will put "Frickenricker" on the head stock and no serial number and no Made in USA

clear coat 3 piece maple neck, no scarf, basswood body, metallic black

it was a hopeful experiment but I should have just been happy with the Craigslist find and left it at that.

I waited 3.5 months for a Rickenbacker 325 copy that I hoped would at least be as good as a Squier and that I could improve with better parts over time.

frets are not level, it's not really a semi hollow body, the Bigsby is not flush with the body and I need to CNC a part to make it so, all of the hardware and wiring is horrible, does not stay in tune, buzzes like crazy even with high action (frets need leveled) etc.......

It does have potential but in all a waste of money. there is zero pride in workmanship here, everything the seller/factory told me in the process was a lie and when I filed a dispute over these things all I get is denial.

of course, what did I expect? I guess I was hopeful. Now I know and so do you

Sorry to hear about your terrible experience, frustration, and waste of money. I guess you get what you pay for.

Thanks for giving us all the heads up.
Graham

it;s true, you do get what you pay for. Once in a long while you get a bit more. most of the time you get less.

I didn't expect a pro guitar, just something different to leave in a chair and not baby. This will take a lot of work, though

I've already modeled the part to CNC and will cut it next week. then I will get some tuners and pot the pickups, rewire with some good pots.

after that I'll take it to my guy for a setup, fret level

last thing is to look for some pickups