G Major vs Rocktron Expression

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldsparkletop

Reaction score
I'm finally getting a rack rig together after years of dragging around too much unorganized gear. Just got a RM4 and have a VHT 2/50/2 on the way...but I need to pick up a new multieffects unit.

There was a lot of discussion on the old Egnater board comparing the G Major and Expression, but of course those posts are unavailable now. For those of you who have tried them, please provide your thoughts on these two units with regard to:

Quality of effects
Transparency of the units
Speed of program changes
Reliability
Anything else you want!

Thanks,
Gary

For me the Rocktron is a better unit. I thought the Gmajor adversley affected the amp tone, even in a parallel loop. The Gmaj has some nice sounding efx, but some sound to sterile or digital for my tastes. I am having great luck with the Xpression. It doesn't color the amp sound other than the effect itself and has the true analog thru when disengaged. The efx are all high quality although I don't use some of them as I don't need them. The rocktron efx sound more organic overall to me. Of course, sound is so hard to explain.

Both units program changes are smooth although I don't change patches all the time, I prefer to use a continuous control pedal setup to bring in or out an effect. I've also found the Rocktron easier to program. This may be due to my previous experience with their gear...

I've used Rocktron stuff for quite a while and have never had a problem with any of their stuff. The Gmaj was solid while I owned it (1 1/2 yrs). The expression has been a great pickup for me. Nice price too.

I had the opportunity to own both together and a/b them. I t hought the Gmaj sounded good, but when I got the xpression the Gmaj paled in overall sound quality to my ears. But, everyone is different.

I think either way you go, you would be happy.

Hope this helps.

When I had my MTS rack (now RM50 head) I used the Rocktron Multiverb and it was very transparent. I believe each unit is better at certain fx's but for the bang for the buck it's hard to pass up the Rocktron.

Good thread man.........that's pretty funny cause I am looking at both of these units right now too and was thinking of going with the Xpression. Good to hear feedback from people that are actually using them.

If your looking at getting the Expression, you might want to check out some of the other processors Rocktron has made over the years. Such as the Replifex and Multivalve, both units are the same except the multivalve has a 12ax7 for added warmth.

I believe the Expression is similar to those units except the Replifex and Multivalve can change the channels on your amp the Expression doesn't. I just got a Replifex and it sounds great! Very transparent and easy to program. For really good chorus and pitch shifting check out the Intellifex. You can get these on e-bay or craig's list. Intellifex around $150, Replifex and Multivalve around $250.

With a series loop (and maybe otherwise) I would always pick any of the Rocktron processor over the G-major since the Rocktron ones do a GREAT job of keeping dry intact.

Program changes are very seamless and fast with the Xpression. The only thing that I've found that causes any sort of pop there is if I have to change any levels between patches to compensate for apparent volume of a preamp to my ears versus the input meter on the Xpression.

I'm a big fan of the G-Major... I've owned 3 of them over the years... always sold them for something that looked sexier at the time (like a Lexicon MPX-G2), then regretted it later. Personally, I think the quality of FX with the G-Major is good and programming is easy, however, that's compared to other Lexicon (MPX500) / Boss (GT6, GT8) / Digitech (2101, 2120) gear I've owned in the past. I like the fact that it can switch amps by 1/4" relay (works great with a TOL100!) and has a built-in tuner.

The only Rocktron unit I've ever owned is the Intelifex... for some reason I didn't like the tone of the reverb and found the unit difficult to program. That's prevented me from giving the Xpression serious consideration so far, although based on all the positive comparisons here, perhaps I need to give the Xpression a second look.

--B

i dont know much about midi and how it works so help me out here ha. I want to beable to change channels on my rm100 and save the effects settings on my floorboard. Is it all in what foot controller u get, to where it can save all your effects so theres no tap dancing and change ur channels on the rm100 or not?

bduersch said:
I'm a big fan of the G-Major... I've owned 3 of them over the years... always sold them for something that looked sexier at the time (like a Lexicon MPX-G2), then regretted it later. Personally, I think the quality of FX with the G-Major is good and programming is easy, however, that's compared to other Lexicon (MPX500) / Boss (GT6, GT8) / Digitech (2101, 2120) gear I've owned in the past. I like the fact that it can switch amps by 1/4" relay (works great with a TOL100!) and has a built-in tuner.

The only Rocktron unit I've ever owned is the Intelifex... for some reason I didn't like the tone of the reverb and found the unit difficult to program. That's prevented me from giving the Xpression serious consideration so far, although based on all the positive comparisons here, perhaps I need to give the Xpression a second look.

--B

The Xpression doesn't sound great, but it is pretty good. It's biggest features is leaving the dry in the analog domain if you are going to use it in series, doing a bunch of different effect types at the same time, and being cheap. :)

muskpsmesane said:
i dont know much about midi and how it works so help me out here ha. I want to beable to change channels on my rm100 and save the effects settings on my floorboard. Is it all in what foot controller u get, to where it can save all your effects so theres no tap dancing and change ur channels on the rm100 or not?

The Axess MFC5 is probably the simplest/smallest thing that'll change your effects setting and change your amp channel. Basically for every midi program number, you set up your effects and tell the amp which channel to be on. Change to that program with the foot controller, and you are there.

muskpsmesane said:
So is it fair to say that basically any foot controller or floorboard or whatever works as long as it is midi capadable?

Yes. Anything that support midi program change (which is I think all of them.)