What MIDI controller to get?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bduersch

Reaction score
Made a recent decision to downsize my M4 rig... I'm going FX-less, which means I'll not only be selling my Lexicon MPX-G2 but also the R1 controller.

What I'd like is a basic MIDI footcontroller for the M4 that meets the following requirements:
- one touch access to all 8 channels (ie, don't want to switch banks)
- runs on phantom power
- no expression pedals
- would be ideal if it was less than 19" long so I could stash it in my rack

Here are a few I'm considering...
- Ground Control / Midimate -- more programmability than I need, but good units nonetheless
- Rolls Midi Buddy / Wizard -- looks a little more basic than the above options, which is perfectly fine
- ADA MPC / MC1 -- don't know much about these

Are there others I should be considering? Basically the smallest (8+ button), simplest, phantom-powerable controller is what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
--B

I say get the ground control...because WHEN you want to go back to effects, you'll be covered.

Yeah, looking at the Rolls controllers, they have a strange phantom power arrangement (receive power on pins 1 & 3 over a 5-pin cable vs. the MIDI standard of pins 6 & 7. So I'm not sure that the Rolls would work with the Egnater without modification to either the Rolls or the Egnater. So I'm leaning towards the ADA, Rocktron, or DMC at this point.

--B

I came into this late, and your problem is already solved... but maybe my info will help someone else doing a search on midi stuff.

The rolls controllers are very basic, and pretty much are just going to change patches. At least the midibuddy... if you need 10 or less presets with no changes like turning fx off and on, etc... it's a great deal. Very sturdy footswitch, pretty small, cheap used.

Behringer FCB1010 is a decent choice if you need continous controllers, however it's pretty friggin' big and I had issues at times changing CC's with it - you'd have to hit a button twice.

I had an earlier ground control (not a pro) and it wouldn't do CC's either. However, you could name your patches, which was nice, and it seemed to be built well.

Currently using (when I'm doing the fx thing) a rocktron midimate. Very sturdy, easy to program, can set it up for 5 presets and then change 5 fx parameters from the top. I'm thinking about getting the all access controller so I can have 8 presets (each of my RM4, with each combination of power amp) plus have the ability to turn FX off and on. They sure are pricey and big though!

I had an all access years ago, it was a great controller...but I think for that kind of money I would buy an axess electronics FX1...Mario is a great guy to deal with and his products are built like little tanks.

I just want to make one comment on the smaller MIDI floorboards like the MIDI Buddy. Because it's small, the buttons are pretty close together and I find it pretty easy to accidently steo on the wrong button. For this reason, I prefer the much larger Behringer MIDI board, even though I'm currently not using the expression pedals.

Latest posts