VOLTAGE REGULATOR Question ?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

VOLTAGE REGULATOR Question ?

Dose any one here use a Voltage Regulator in there Rack?

I own a FURMAN AR-1215 rack Voltage regulator!
I was planning to mount it in the top of my 6 space rack in conjunction with a Furman PL PLUS ( to monitor the AR-1215?s output -->suggested in the manual) along with my other sound processors so on and so forth, but now I am having seconded thoughts due having heard a person discuss that there Voltage regulator was causing a mechanical hum in his rack components because they were to close to it, an amp to be specific!
I have been also told by others that his statement was more or less nonsense and as long as its not an amp?s transformer was not next to it and you give it a space or two there should be no issue and only the benefits of Its Power regulation to the rest of the connected digital rack goods!
Has any one here, used a rack voltage regulator and or experienced this phenomenon?

Thanks In advance.......Axe
FURMAN AR-1215
AR-1215-front_page.jpg

AR-1215-rear_page.jpg

here are some extra resources:

AR-1215
http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=01&id=AR-1215

manual Page 6 explains the conjunction of the PL PLUS
http://www.furmansound.com/pdf/manuals/AR-1215_manual.pdf

If You already own it, simply try how it works with your processors. If it will cause hum put it on ebay if not, leave it in rack :)

Thanks any way bro but I dont want to open or take it out of the box becase I can return it! But then again If I can verify a few good reviews from some trusting friends here then I will then take that chance! This all came about when some one rained on my parade with a bad statement about one of these units in a rack and ever sice I have been nevious about it, and since I don't know any one using One - I want to find some people here that have used Voltage regulators in there rack that Might be able to tell me more of there experiences! That's really all I'm looking for and want! A Direct personal review if possible!... Hopefully! :)

FOLLOW UP:

I got lucky as I was able to talk in depth with Michael Andersen of Ferman Sound Inc.
I found that I have been worrying for nothing evidently!
Any way, Michael explained to me that the Mechanical noise discussed was an electromagnetic field noise from the autoformer that you can fiscally be herd at super low volumes standing with your ear close to the device and NOT audible from this unit that it would effect my rack gear's performance with any noise or interference! He stated The AR-1215 Voltage Regulators incorporate EMI/RFI suppression circuits which keep such spurious signals out of audio circuits, he also told me that the more load that was put on the RA-1215 the better it performs! Some advice he gave as well was for me to try using shielded audio cables if I could as an extera percaution and try to keep power cords at an 90 degree angle if possible seperated away from the audio cords which made since to me as that's what I do with my home theater cables as well! In the end all I wanted to be sure of was that I was not going to be hearing noise threw my speaker or recordings! According to Michael Andersen of FURMAN Sound, The mechanical noise is not the kind of audible noise I feared and knowing it couldn't hurt to take the extra effort on routing the power cables away from audio cables, It look like I have I can use it after all! For those that did read and tried to help. Thank you :)

I've been using an AR-1215 for almost 8 years. No problems whatsoever. The unit itself does make a humming noise, but that hum doesn't transfer to other gear and you really have to be listening to even hear it.