Parametric EQ's

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trendkill1168

Reaction score
Anyone else out there use a parametric EQ? I also own an original Warhead head and was running a Furman PQ4 in the loop for that Dime style crunch. This RM100 is my first tube amp but I am thinking of adding a parametric to this setup as well. Just scored me one of the original green faced PQ3's and am waiting for it to get here. Anyway, if anyone else is using one of these please post some settings.

Hi there. I use a Behringer 1951 tube driven 4 band parametric EQ in the effects loop of my RM50 and I REALLY love it. I also use a Behringer 1952 tube driven compressor/gate. I really love this set up because it really allows me to sculpt my sound just the way I like it, especially when I use my baritone guitar under a lot of distortion. I roll off the low end with a wide q setting and that really cleans it up.

These are both 2 channel units and my bass player often loops through the other channel of one or both units.

Yeah I have that Furman PQ3 in my effects loop followed by a sonic maximizer. Up front I am running a graphic EQ for pre-distortion EQ and an overdrive pedal. This setup yields real good results in the gain department. It just rips running it with the Recto module. Had to put a noise gate in the loop though because of the feedback. :twisted:

What kind of overdrive do you use? I never needed an overdrive with my old amp. So now I'm trying to decide what overdrive to go with. I've got my eye on a Robert Keely moded tube screamer or maybe MXR Wylde drive. Although someone told me once that if i wanded a Wylde Drive, all I have to do is get an MXR classic overdrive and tape 2 twenty dollar bills to the side of it and I'll have virtually the same thing.

MetalMajik said:
What kind of overdrive do you use? I never needed an overdrive with my old amp. So now I'm trying to decide what overdrive to go with. I've got my eye on a Robert Keely moded tube screamer or maybe MXR Wylde drive. Although someone told me once that if i wanded a Wylde Drive, all I have to do is get an MXR classic overdrive and tape 2 twenty dollar bills to the side of it and I'll have virtually the same thing.

I have the Wylde overdrive and it is alright but nothin to write home about. I thought it would have way more sustain than it does which is kinda strange because I have always had good luck with MXR pedals. You may want to give the Keeley/Tube Screamer a try, can't go wrong with one of those.

tempora said:
hi i was wondering what type of eq i should add in the back of the effects loop. Either parametric or graphic any sudjestions?

You can use either one. The parametric lets you sculpt your tone much better but they are more complicated to use, more expensive, & harder to find. I know Rane still makes one, ProSonus makes a cheap one, but Furman has discontinued them. I think there are only a couple of companies out there that make them anymore. The graphic on the other hand will work either up front for pre-distortion EQ or in the loop and most of the major effects companies make them in stomp box form. I have the MXR Kerry King 10 band and it works real well. 10 sliders to dial in your tone plus extra gain and volume sliders as well to boost it harder. Alot of people swear by the Boss GE-7 EQ. I have never owned one myself so I cannot comment.

Rane makes a 5 band parametric that typically goes for anywere from $25-50 on ebay. I'ts a decent EQ for the money. You can also still find the boss pq-5 stomp box parametrics even though they don't make them anymore. These are pretty marginal though. They are only 2 band and they have a fixed Q (bandwidth) if I'm not mistaken, which defeats much of the purpose of having a parametric EQ to begin with.

As for overdrives, Keely sold me on a moded Boss SD-1. I can't wait to try it out :twisted:

Cheers guys. ive looked around for a furman pq3 but there near impossible to find in the u.k. Ill have a look at some of the other companys. Cheers

I just recently went with dual rane half rack units. One in the loop of my RM4 and one for my piezo pickup in my fly deluxe. The results are phenomenal! I didn't think my MTS rig could sound better, but it does. This set up took top notch to awesome beyond belief!
~Kurt
:D

Kurtis (or anyone else who'd like to share),

What frequencies did you boost/cut that made such an improvement to your RM4?

Ijust brought a boss micro rack parametric eq, I just couldnt find a furman pq so i got hold of a second had boss for only ?45. Wot settings are cool so getting a dimebag type tone. I know its mid scooped but do i need to turn the mids up on my amp atall.

Here are some parametric eq settings I use.

92hz 4db boost

500hz 2db cut

Eq settings I don't use often:

4khz 2db boost (If I feel like it)

7khz 2db boost for heavy rhythm or 2db cut for High gain leads

As far the the mids on my preamp they are set about 2 o?clock or higher for the gain channels and slightly boosted on the clean channels about 1 o?clock. This allows me to get the palm mute harmonics I like and keep the sound IN YOUR FACE without that annoying nasal sound. I'm not in to the scooped mid tone.

If anyone else would like to share eq's that would be great. knowledge is power :)

I picked up a Presonus EQ-3B the other day. It's a 3-band fully parametric single channel and they're $100 new online or at GC, although the GC in Plano said they weren't going to carry them any more.

I'm using it in the series loop of my RM50 combo with the Ultra. I'm still experimenting with the EQ setting, but I'm close and with each attempt I get a little closer to nailing the Dime tone.

Thomas