Noise Supression and Compression on Effects Processors?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riverdragon

Reaction score
Are the noise supressors and compressors on multi-effects units like the Rocktron Xpression or T.C. Electronics G Major any good? Or should I buy an ISP Decimator and some separate compressor? Also, does a compressor make a big difference in live settings or is it something that is used more in the studio setting?

I've always used the built in noise suppressors in my Rocktron Xpression and Boss SE-50, and these have worked well enough that I never felt the need to buy a dedicated suppressor like the ISP unit. Heck, I think even the suppressor in my V-Amp is adequate.

This is just my opinion, but I see no need for a compressor if you are playing with distortion -- distrortion is already extremely compressed! Where I think compression has some value is if you're doing a lot of really clean picking kind of stuff, especially in a studio environment. Even then, it is a very subtle effect. I personally don't use compressors. When most of us are playing live, we usually have enough volume going on that there is natural compression occuring anyway.

If you are going to use a compressor, though, you really ought to put it in front of the amp, not in the effects loop. A compressor in a muti-effects unit in your amp's effects loop isn't going to do much of anything.

I would recommend you go down to your local store, plug your guitar into a compressor pedal and run that into an amp. Play your style of music (with gain and volume set accordingly) and see if that pedal really does anything for you or not. I did this 20 years ago and found it did not.

Gary

Noise reduction is really only nescessary if you find you have to much noise in the signal..ask yourself..do you really have a problem? If so, try what out there and see what works for you. Different pickups, gain stages and playing styles determine what will work for you.
Compression..now there is a black art for ya....most players cant hear it..or if they can they use it, it can easily work against them. For example it can make things noise, hard to get clarity etc etc
Do you really need compression? Few players actually do...its the Country guys who get alot of use from a pedal compressor. The MXR DynaComp has been a fave for over 30 years.
But, AGAIN, it comes down to taste..do you feel your sound is lacking..and if so..is it because there are to many dynamics in what you play?
I wouldnt use stuff just because others do..i would use stuff if It helped me to sound the way I want..what I hear in my head.