Rocktron Prophesy & Marshall JMP-1

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldsparkletop

Reaction score
These are the other two preamps I considered before buying my RM4.

Unfortunately, there was no place locally where I could try any of these three preamps before buying, and I've often wondered how these other two s would've stacked up to the RM4.

For anybody who's owned the Prophesy or JMP-1, how do they compare to your Randall MTS rig? With the Prophesy, disregard the built in effects - I just want to know how the preamp itself compares.

Thanks,
Gary

Well, no one answered this when I first posted it six months ago....however, since we have quite a few new members here now, I thought I'd ask one more time.

Both are good at what they do; but imo; the Randall and the right modules are far more pleasing and versatile.

The Rocktron isn't bad, but sounds processed.
The JMP-1 souns Marshally; but seemed to fall short on the super high gain, but that's not what it was made for.

The Randall is overall a better choice I say.

I've had all of the above and wouldn't trade my Randall for any of them.

I owned the JMP-1 with a VHT 2/50/2 and honestly... I didn't like it! :? As Jim said above, it didn't do too well when it came to high gain which was what I had been hoping it would do well. I would take the MTS stuff any day over the JMP-1. Can't comment on the Rocktron, never owned that one.

I've owned a few preamps, the JMP-1 , VHT GP3, I still have the Mesa Triaxis, and now the M4.

My opinions on them are: ( subjective, of course)

VHT-Gp3 - Nice idea, but falls short concerning gain. Limited midi capability. A pain to change tubes. Midi dip switches in rear, you change channels easily.

JMP-1- Versatile, nice cleans, but all gains sound of course Marshall, that 's what they intended. FX loop- weird rise in volume below settings of 5 , stereo outputs. Midi capable with all EQ settings saved in presets. Again- major pain to change the 2 tubes.

Triaxis- If you like the Mesa sound, and only Mesa, this is the best pre-amp with stereo record out, direct stero out, FX send , return stereo. 8 different Mesa type modes. Fully midi capable. Downside- all low/high gains have the Boogie sizzle highs. But overall functionality is great , except the seemingly useless fx level control. All 5 tubes are open to the rear and easily changed .

M4 - So far I prefer the sound over all previous preamps. The module selection is endless, and if you're like me and your musical interest is more eclectic, there's a module to suit it. The down side is a lack of features, but in the interest of avoiding digital processing, there must be a trade off. It would be great to have stereo output, stereo FX returns, full settings save and recall, but I can work around it. How many presets do we really USE anyway ? :) Tubes are easily changed in the rear of the enclosure. AND why do they hide the midi-dip switches inside so you have to remove a few dozen screws to change the channel ? :) How about an access door, maybe slide it open, change channel , slide it closed.

I have not tried the Prophesy, but if it's anything like the VooDu Valve there's one tiny little 12AX7 tube hidden deep inside , wrapped in foam (yes), just so they can call it a Tube Preamp......

H

I sold my JMP-1 a few weeks ago..I have a RM4 with Plexi,SL+,Ultra and TopBoost, and Recto modules in it. Into an Rt2/50.
I really liked the JMP-1 for what it was. It recorded well (thru its cab sim outs. ) Its clean was simple, but usable. Its distortion was JCM800 or JCM900...and nothing but that.
It can't do todays over the top EMG-Dual rectifier sounds.
So because times change...I went with the RM4. And I am happy. Sure I will always gripe..and think maybe I should modify some of my modules but...I think I am quite far ahead in terms of versatility and each of the tones are serving me well. I really can solo with a better tone now then I ever had before..out of anything.
And I am just getting into the RM4 (had it just a few months).
Really pleased.