Worst Guitar You've Ever Played or Owned?!?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machinna

Reaction score
Mine has to be A Vintage Metal Axxe not sure which one. Tried it out at Music Live and hated every moment of it. I am a big fan of some other Vintage guitars. But this metal axxe was just vile.

..any guitar that was owned by a fool for a few years turns into garbage, I find.
Some people that think you can leave them in the sun...never adjust the neck..etc etc
No specific brand...although anything made in China...or southeast ASIA (with the excpetion being some great Korean and Japanese guitars)..seems to be alot easier to give-in to abuse.
It maybe because they are often less expensive those guitars wind up in the hands of silly people. Im not sure.

Well, I think it would have to be the horrible Hondo Flying V I had in high school & first year of college in the mid 80s. This thing was hideous quality to start with, and had been handed down among my circle of guitar buddies for a few years, with everyone tweaking it a little on the way. It got painted several time along the way- each time worse that the past- was originally red, then black, then an ill-advised attempt at black & yellow tigerstripes done with a regular paint brush by the time I drew the short straw & bought it for $50. (It was the 80s- what can I say?)

Got one of my friend's dads to lend us a belt sander & we stripped it down to bear wood, which actually didn't look half bad. Still sounded like **** of course. I picked up a used Kahler Flyer tremolo system from somewhere & had my same friend's dad use a hand router to carve out the body to mount it- no elaborate measuring or alignment, no clue about luthier-type skills, just did it freehand on the kitchen table by eyeball estimation.

Amazingly, it worked. Sort of. The intonations (which were shaky to start with) were never quite right- I think we offset it slightly to one side, but I could get an awesome divebomb effect on my 15 watt Dean Markley combo on Rock You Like A Hurricane. I gave it to another friend in 1987 after I got my Les Paul (which I still own!) & never saw it again.

Oh, horrific Hondo Franken-V, where are you now??

1st guitar, Harmony Strat copy. It was from the JC Penny cataloge. Still have it due to sentimental reasons but yeah...doesn't even feel like it's made from wood. Almost like a plastic composite of some sort.

Still have yet to get into anything too fantastic though, but you make due with what you have.

I'm gonna have to go with my first guitar too, an Encore Les Paul bolt on neck copy. The action was HORRIBLE, but I was a beginner and had no idea that it wasnt supposed to be that high. I played it for a LONG time like that, and when I played a guitar properly setup, it was like butter. Plus it made acoustic work a lot easier :)

I cant get rid of it though, so I'm thinking of turning into a wall clock :p

I had a "Sears Best" Gibson Explorer copy. It was the Effector guitar with every effect you could want at the push of any number of buttons. It ran on a 9 volt battery and I'm sure it was the same composite the JC Penny guitar was.

Gooberspazz said:
I had a "Sears Best" Gibson Explorer copy. It was the Effector guitar with every effect you could want at the push of any number of buttons. It ran on a 9 volt battery and I'm sure it was the same composite the JC Penny guitar was.
****........I wanted one of them SOOOO BAD!!
Looked pretty cool back in the Early 80's!! :D

Just thought of another one....the Prosonic Terminator guitar. It came with a built in amplifier, and you could get one at Toys R' Us for $100.

When I was a kid I though "WOW, now I can rock ANYWHERE!"

Totally lame :)

They are Over priced pieces of Crap. Actually all the new guitars today Unless you get a Custom Made really are Crap. The PRS to me is just a waste of time. But like A holes we all have an opnion. I dont buy new guitars really unless they are custom made. If you hear the Tones from a 1970 Les Paul and hear the Tones from a 2009 you would get my drift

RIP STUDIOS said:
They are Over priced pieces of Crap. Actually all the new guitars today Unless you get a Custom Made really are Crap. The PRS to me is just a waste of time. But like A holes we all have an opnion. I dont buy new guitars really unless they are custom made. If you hear the Tones from a 1970 Les Paul and hear the Tones from a 2009 you would get my drift

I totally agree with ya' there. I tried comparing my 74' Les Paul Custom against a newer model, and the newer one didnt seem as "thick" sounding. Just kinda boxy. Plus, the finish was just AWFUL. I've actually come across a few of the newer Les Pauls at Guitar Center that had some finishing flaws mostly around the binding.

I guess the saying "They dont make em' like they use to" rings true.

First in 1974 the wood selection was much better. Honduran mahogany was readily available. Companies (except for maybe the auto industry) were more concerned with quality of product than bonuses for executives. it was a time when trade unions were at their peak and they had ongoing apprentice programs to train new workers their trade. Not anymore. It was a different time.

A Givson (yes, with a v) from India. Used to live there, and when we
moved back I got a guitar and bass there. Cheap piece of crap lol...

Has to be one anything made by Johnson. Got one for the kids and it never would stay in tune. Not even for 5 minutes.

I bought my Charvel Strat new in 1986 and its still the best guitar Ive ever played. I had to replace the nut recently cause I had a touch of fret buzz but never had to adjust the neck truss or anything. Unfortunatlely the worst feature is the Kahler, its a great tremolo but just doesnt hold in tune like a good Floyd does IMO.
I have to say that Im very impressed with my Dean MAB1 but its hit or miss with them too. It seems like youve got to get a ESP KH or M2 to really expect a solid shredder these days. When I browse thru the Pro music catalog I cant believe some of the prices on new LES Pauls and PRS. Are any of them really worth $3000-$5000?