Seymour Duncan JB

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droptrd

Reaction score
I just dropped a JB bridge pup in one of my am std strats. I had a gibson 498 in there for years. this guitar sounded great with the 498 in my mesa amps, but kinda muddy and dull with my mts. The JB added a ton of clarity and warmth. Harmonics come out with ease. complex chords sound great. this pup even sounds great clean - the 498 was very ruff sounding clean. I would say this strat sounds better than my PRS's - but the PRS's play a little better. If have strats with the duncan distortion, duncan custom, duncan pearly gates + and the "59" installed and i like them all. But I have to say, this JB is pretty impressive. Its my new favorite passive humbucker. Highly recommended.

Oh Yeah....I been a Big JB fan since the 80's after reading Warren Demartini was using them. Great BITEY tone!
Been using EMG's the past few years but love me some Duncan JB! :D

Have one that came in my Jackson RR1

But I'm guessing the lack of wood makes it a little,.. what's the word I'm looking for?
shrilly/thin/trebly for that guitar

Nightdare said:
Have one that came in my Jackson RR1

But I'm guessing the lack of wood makes it a little,.. what's the word I'm looking for?
shrilly/thin/trebly for that guitar
Probably not so much lack of wood, but rather the fact that it's mounted in a core of Maple :p I'd definitely put some DiMarzios in that one :D

Shinozoku said:
Probably not so much lack of wood, but rather the fact that it's mounted in a core of Maple :p I'd definitely put some DiMarzios in that one :D

Yeah the alder wings probably won't do much for the tone
maybe gonna pop in a Super 3 in that rhoads

Got a JB in all my guitars. I split the coils too with push/pull pots and they sounds excellent. Probably my most favorite pickups.

droptrd said:
If have strats with the duncan distortion, duncan custom, duncan pearly gates + and the "59" installed and i like them all. But I have to say, this JB is pretty impressive.

How does JB compare with PG? I'm running a PG now along with couple of Lacesensors; 250K pot, and it's my favorite hb for this guitar yet. Great tone but a bit thin in the low mids like a single coil. Saw that Mick Thomson gear video on youtube (which is awesome, btw), and he uses a JB in a similar guitar to mine, so thought about trying a JB.

dboy5150 said:
droptrd said:
If have strats with the duncan distortion, duncan custom, duncan pearly gates + and the "59" installed and i like them all. But I have to say, this JB is pretty impressive.

How does JB compare with PG? I'm running a PG now along with couple of Lacesensors; 250K pot, and it's my favorite hb for this guitar yet. Great tone but a bit thin in the low mids like a single coil. Saw that Mick Thomson gear video on youtube (which is awesome, btw), and he uses a JB in a similar guitar to mine, so thought about trying a JB.
Sorry for the slow response. I like the PG, but to me, Its kinda boring. A little too well mannered. It has nice low, mids, and highs. But nothing on the extreme side. Nothing that makes you go "holy ****". The JB does just that. Great mids, smooth highs, and the lows are tight without being thin. A little higher output too. Id go JB. Id also go at least 500K on the pot. A 750K or 1 Meg would be better IMO. I use a 1meg.

Latest posts