Line 6 Vetta I or II ??

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insightibanez

Reaction score
Has anybody played a Line 6 Vetta I or II amp? Since I sold all of my guitar gear and out of debt, been looking for something new to try. Any Ideas? :?

I had a Vetta I that I upgraded to the II software. I used it in a couple of bands and played it heavily for a few years. It was great to have all of those effects at your disposal, and coming up with bizarre new sounds was easy. But in the end I decided that I missed the analog warmth of a tube amp. It's hard to describe--I could never get the amp to feel as organic as a tube amp. L6 has partnered with Bogner for a line of tube amps with their digital modeling, so that might be worth taking a look at too.

Side note--I'm not one of those L6 bashers who give them a hard time without having actually played with their products. Quite the contrary--I'm using one of their wireless units (love it) and used to own some of their pedals as well. I only sold those to fund my RM100...kinda wish I had them back, actually! Good luck with your search for a new amp :)

Thanks dude for the useful, insightful info. I just picked one up from ebay, a line 6 vetta I with the long footpedal for $675. I'm really excited!!!! :D

I have a VettaI upgraded to 2.5 that I played for 6 years untill I got bored and went on a long search for a different amp. I just busted it out and played it through the Warhead cab with vintage 30's and can get **** close to the ULTRAXL with my favorite amp called the Big Bottom. If you never owned a tube amp you would never miss the saturation it lacks. So you may notice since you have been a tube guy. Just dont use any of the presets or you will want to throw it out the window. When you get it let me know it you have any questions. I can give you all the tricks you need for it. It is really an amazing amp and L6 has never made anything even close to it. Its seriously the most versatile amp ever made. You will never need another effect ever. It still does more routing and tweeking than anything L6 has ever put out. Also, VI and VII are only different cosmetically. They are exactly the same amp other than the VII looks way cooler.
--Gary

Sweet set up man. I like the lights in your RM100 along with the warhead cabinet, very tough!!!! As for the Line 6 Vetta, I messed with it and found out it wasnt for me. So I ended up getting a Marshall JCM2000 TSL instead.

My friend back in Nebraska did the same thing with the Vetta. You have to really know how to use it. I think that is why the thing really never sold that well. Every single preset was useless and unless you started from scratch on a patch it was no good. I can get the thing to sound allmost identical to any amp I run it next to. The tube saturation is all it misses and most people don't notice. I actually like it better for an SRV tone better then any other tube amp I have played. You can get the stevie breakup on it with ease which isn't easy to get on anything tube without blowing your ears up. Do you still have the vetta? I assume you sold it already. Otherwise I'd give you some patch ideas on it. The big bottom amp and the Diamondplate where really the only two high gain models on the sing I ever used. The warhead can is pretty tough looking. I got it at a pawn shop here for $250. I ran out of that joint with a big smile.

schlagdog said:
My friend back in Nebraska did the same thing with the Vetta. You have to really know how to use it. I think that is why the thing really never sold that well. Every single preset was useless and unless you started from scratch on a patch it was no good. I can get the thing to sound allmost identical to any amp I run it next to. The tube saturation is all it misses and most people don't notice. I actually like it better for an SRV tone better then any other tube amp I have played. You can get the stevie breakup on it with ease which isn't easy to get on anything tube without blowing your ears up. Do you still have the vetta? I assume you sold it already. Otherwise I'd give you some patch ideas on it. The big bottom amp and the Diamondplate where really the only two high gain models on the sing I ever used. The warhead can is pretty tough looking. I got it at a pawn shop here for $250. I ran out of that joint with a big smile.

that was me. Sup, Gary! :)

I'm sure I didn't spend enough time as I should have with the Vetta. I did buy it used from some GC in Georgia and half the time the Vetta wouldn't boot up, so in fairness it wasn't going to stay anyways.

I have seen videos of these and was wondering if you guys tried em..and liked em.
I am a tube guy...but still remain open-minded that a variax system (with the XT floor pedal-thing) could be a great thing.
any experience with it? For drop tunings and playing out I think it would the most versatile and QUICK thing out there.
GtrGeorge

There's a Variax II coming out. The modeling on it is going to be a lot better. New algorithms. I've played the Variax I, and had one for a month, but returned it because well I have the axes it models so I didn't need it.

I think one of the problems that's been plaguing the modeling amp business is that they're going out of date every couple of years. Resale on the older ones is crap. For Line 6 modeling I'd wait until the next generation.

Tube amps? Higher resale because the technology hasn't changed for 70 years.

Fractal AXE Fx for modeling is excellent. With their recent string of artist signings, and from my recent test of the Digi Eleven Rack against the real amps, I'm having to say that modeling has arrived. We're in a tech transition period now. You can take your modeler and run two XLRs direct to the mixer and to your personal monitor and play pretty much with an empty stage these days. With the dual processor Ultra all it takes is firmware updates to tweak models and feel. Sure makes breakdown at 2:00 am a lot easier.

Yeah... I've seriously eyeballed the Axe FX on a number of occasions. If I decide to get away from the all-tube setup I have (and love) right now, the Axe FX will probably be the next step for me

Tried many of the Line6 amp combinations for live use back in the late 90s/early 00s. Vetta, the PODs, Flextones, POD pro's through the PA, hooked up to JCM power sections...None worked in real band settings. I abandoned my Line6 experiments somewhere after the POD pro 2.0... Never cut like a real amp. There was just something overcompressed and lifeless about the dynamics that really felt alien to me. That's when I got back in the tube amp / stomp box game. Really happy I did.

I used an early modeler..and I got good results..but then again I love programming!
But in the end, I do really enjoy workoing the guitar and amp out live...the feedback, the pushing of the air. When people see me play live their remark that its so much more of a REAL Rock band, than the DI thing I did.
..and those are audience members!
So I think there is a permanent place for real speakers and tubes ,for me, on stages. The axe fx maybe be here..but the price is just not reasonable for a working musician..a doctor or lawyer, maybe.
GtrGeorge
PS: In Nashville they call gear like that "Lawyers guitars"...ya know Taylors and such.....really nice instruments but usually the person holding it cant play for crap!

vindaloo said:
I had a Vetta I that I upgraded to the II software. I used it in a couple of bands and played it heavily for a few years. It was great to have all of those effects at your disposal, and coming up with bizarre new sounds was easy. But in the end I decided that I missed the analog warmth of a tube amp. It's hard to describe--I could never get the amp to feel as organic as a tube amp. L6 has partnered with Bogner for a line of tube amps with their digital modeling, so that might be worth taking a look at too.

Side note--I'm not one of those L6 bashers who give them a hard time without having actually played with their products. Quite the contrary--I'm using one of their wireless units (love it) and used to own some of their pedals as well. I only sold those to fund my RM100...kinda wish I had them back, actually! Good luck with your search for a new amp :)

I agree with this. I had a VETTA head that I used for quite some time. I thought its tone direct to a board was great, but I never could quite get that dry tube head sound through my cab. I tweaked a LONG time, and I wound up going back to a MESA roadster and pedalboard. This way if a tube blows, or a pedal malfunctions, I replace the tube/bypass the pedal, and go on with the night. The night a soldered connection came loose in my vetta, it was just me and my old SansAmp. :lol:

Goldfish said:
Tried many of the Line6 amp combinations for live use back in the late 90s/early 00s. Vetta, the PODs, Flextones, POD pro's through the PA, hooked up to JCM power sections...None worked in real band settings. I abandoned my Line6 experiments somewhere after the POD pro 2.0... Never cut like a real amp. There was just something overcompressed and lifeless about the dynamics that really felt alien to me. That's when I got back in the tube amp / stomp box game. Really happy I did.

I should have read this far. This is exactly what I thought as well. I never could get it to CUT through the mix without splitting everyone's ears.

Latest posts