Anyone use the Digitech Bad Monkey?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harsh

Reaction score
After being a pedal hater for ages, I've decided to give some pedals a shot (after the Boss GT-10 disaster, I dont have many choices left). Anyway, I've ordered a Bad Monkey because the price is great, and it's supposed to be very close to the SD-1.

So, anyone here use it? How do you like it, and what's the best way to set it up? I'm looking to bring out some harmonics and sustain without resorting to maxing out my module gain (which is causing unwanted noise).

I am jamming with a guy that has a full set of Digitech overdrives/distortions. He even has the Digitech pedalboard thingy with suggested settings for each box printed on the face for easy reading & referal. (I think it's actually an "in store" display)
He's not even a good enough player to know how to set them. :lol:
Which one sounds best?
They all sound like crap to me!

He does say the Bad Monkey is the best of the bunch, but then, you're getting an opinion from a guy that has 5 Digitech distortion boxes in his signal path....
Need I say more?

I love mine. It's a cheap way to get SRV tone. It also has both bass and Treble control so you can dial down the mids, which these types of pedals are known for.

I had the TS-7 modded by Keeley and the Bad Monkey was close enough to it that I sold the TS-7.

So I used the Bad Monkey in front of my rig between the NS2 and the Preamp, and am really happy with the results. It has tightened up the bass a bit, made the squeals easier and the sustain better.

I guess if I get a Danelectro Coolcat or TS808, it could only be better, eh? All in all, major bang for the buck from this bad boy.

I use a Dano Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive ($40) and a TS808 RI ($160). Oh and a Keeley Java Boost ($225). Guess which one gets used most and which one least?

Wrong.

1) Keeley
2) Cool Cat
3) Tubescreamer

Try the Digitech Hardwire series. They are very good. The TS808 RI was a little more transparent but it had better be for $70 more. However this was before the Cool Cats came out.

Or if you want to help out some private guy and don't mind a waiting list, grab a Timmy for $130. Order direct from Paul Cochrane.

Sounded crappy on my Tube heads but kicked *** on the LINE 6 spider 3 head. Its a personal tone thing with pedals and theres really no way to know unless you try it with your setup. Of coarse.

I've been using it as a boost in my rig, and it's pretty decent. I do think I could get something better. Eyeing the Maxon OD808 right now.

I just wanted to conclude this topic. So I bought the Maxon OD808, which is just an awesome OD pedal. Totally cleans up the amp, and brings out the harmonics big time. But at a cost of 120 pounds, it should be nothing less than amazing!

I've A/B'd the Maxon against the Bad Monkey, and I gotta say the Bad Monkey is really not a bad OD pedal. It's not as smooth as the Maxon, but it does a really good job at 1/4 the price. Also, very versatile in the tone department because of separate bass and treble controls.

The Maxon will be my main OD, but I would not hesitate to recommend the Bad Monkey to anyone who is on a budget.

Didn't like it either. Ended up building a Tube Screamer from general guitar gadgets and it's great!