My first amp...(long/boring)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarcomet

Reaction score
In 1980, I bought my first guitar amp... cost $499 (Peavey Duece, 2x12 combo).
I made this choice over a Fender Twin and Marshall head & cab due to funds (I was 15 years old).
The Fender was $200+ more and the Marshall half-stack was :shock: $1000+ !!
The Peavey was loud and strong. The Fender sounded good but didn't seem as loud (what did I know?) for the money. The Marshall price tag seemed extravagant for a 6 month player (with a small budget).
Also, I was in Charleston S.C. at the time (Fox Music) at a big music store (nothing like where I'm from) and I needed to take advantage of the selection. (There were 6 different amp brands to choose from! WOW!) :lol:
True, it was a hybrid (SS preamp), but it had a nice 4-6L6GC growl to it.
It could keep up with a live band, too. L-O-U-D !
The thing is, I picked a tube amp with my ears...Not due to prior knowledge of amps (tube vs SS) and no bias toward a certain brand or sound.
Still, at the time {had I been holding $1000+ dollars}, I probably would have bought the Marshall :roll:
I could have borrowed the extra cash from my dad, but then I woulda had to convince him there was room in the car for it :lol:
It seemed the sensable choice to buy the Peavey...dad was right there when I got it, too...he approved of my thrifty choice. :p

In 1986 (?), I read an interview with Les Paul in a guitar player mag.
They listed his favorite gear (what he was playing through currently).
His amp was "Any good tube amp".
Actually, I heard he was playing a Tech 21 combo just before he died. (probably a lucrative endorsment) :lol:

My point is, back in the early days (pre 1980) there was much less selection and even less features. Using boxes to get your own sound was the only way (unless you knew a tech).
A Boss GT-6 would have been some magical fantasy back then!
But the foundation of good electric guitar tone is a decent tube amp.
I knew that just by listening (even my non-musician dad could tell).
You can slice it and dice it, but unless you have that pure tube tone shining through, you ain't got Jack!
I've never owned a stage worthy SS amp except a Randall and I'd still go with a tube amp if I have the choice. I've never played a gig with a SS amp.
I hope I never do. :)

Yeah, I'm probably just preaching to the choir...sorry :wink:

..Im addicted to vacume tubes.
My current rig has 11 or so in it!!!

Latest posts