framus Dragon

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harsh

Reaction score
:( Oh my god, what's with my GAS? My rig just slays every other amp I've seen but I saw a Framus Dragon on ebay and bought it yesterday. I'm a huge Killswitch fan, so I got it for that tone.

However, it doesn't sound like them! Too much sizzle/presence, and not enough gain without an OD. I think the valves are worn out to begin with, I'll replace them. But does anyone have any experience with the dragon? Is it as great as the reviews say, or should I sell it off?

What can I do to get a great tone out of it? I do have a Maxon 808, it adds gain but the amp's sizzle is just annoying.

I have a buddy (Richedie here) that used to be our 2nd guitarist. He has had quite a few "tone-chasing" experiments through the years. Most end poorly.

One thing I have learned through the years is chasing a recorded tone is often going to end in failure. What is reported to be the gear used is often only part of the mix (many amps and guitars are often used) and post production and the recording techniques figure into it as well.

I had a little experience with the Framus in a local boutique music store (Russo's in Hamilton, NJ....killer shop with great gear that's tough to find) and a band we used to play with often used one for a brief time. My memories of it are pretty in line with what you are saying. It could be perfect for someone else, but not you.

I didnt wanna write off the Dragon. After some research, I changed out the tubes. The Electro Harmonics are great for gain, but fizzy. Threw some JJ's in the right slots, stuck the Maxon in front, and presto! Its a really nice amp now.

I can get pretty close to it on the Ultra XL and the XTC, but its got a very unique flavour that none of my modules can nail. I think my Pit Viper was pretty close. Anyway, I'm off - time for some more shredding!

lolthrash said:
I'm pretty sure they used Framus Cobras? Not dragons?

The Cobra was used in "Rose of Sharyn". The other songs were made using Dragons and 5150's. I'm referring to End of Heartache, which has MY favourite sound.

The other albums used Dual Recs and the last one even had Diezels.

i had a framus cobra full stack. spent countless trying to dial in somthing and i still had to put a od pedal in front. its a unique sound but wasnt for me at all.looks killer though

a local boutique music store (Russo's in Hamilton, NJ....killer shop with great gear that's tough to find)
Indeed, that was the best store that I visited from NY-NJ-PA; lots of amps that I don't see anywhere else. They also cut great deals.

I don't get that Framus needs a boost? I like boost pedals in front of many amps, but I thought Framus had enough....just off of my limited listening from youtube and KLillswitch, and my Mamba

I played through evillee's Framus and got it pretty close to something I liked but it was still missing something. Not sure if I'd run an OD in front, maybe a CAE boost rather than an OD. I think it's just another one of those amps that needs to be played insanely loud to really get what you want.

On the 1st generation 5150, there is a mod you can doo to take that 'Fizz' out and it really works, amazing. Local guy where I live does it, minor procedure, puts the amp value up too apparently. True.

Latest posts