Drop D, C#: Whats the best gauge of strings??

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GtrGeorge!

Reaction score
Hi,
I am newer to drop tuning..been doing drop D with D'addario .009 for a while..thats pretty cool, but I f I tube everything down a half step...things get sloppy. Or if i want to go to tune a whole step down, and THEN do drop C..what would you recomend..I am using EMGs (81 or 85s, if that matters).
Any help appreciatted. Enough of the flab...but lets not get the action so stiff that I cant vibrato like Zakk,if needed.
thanks..any help appreciatted

If you're just playing in drop D and C#, you should be completely fine with 10-52 gauge strings.
Any lower (dropped C, dropped B, dropped A# etc) I'd go a minimum of 10-56, but my favourite gauge for these lower tunings is 10-60.
Also, make sure you get a wound third string (like .022 wound or whatever), it'll make life a lot easier.

I believe if you want to tune C# you need to get the guitar setup. That much slack even, with larger strings, does not provide the right amount of tension on the neck. The truss rod will need adjusting. I have 1 guitar setup for C# & C tuning, using 12-58s on it. I'm building a second guitar for dropped C# (1/2 step all, then 1 step on bigone) & D (std tuning starting in d) tunings, it will use 11s. As abaseline, I use 10-52s on my standard tuning guitars.

Yeah you'll obviously need the guitar setup slightly differently too, but as far as string gauges go you'll just need a thicker string to hold that low tuned bottom string. 10s will be fine for the rest (but again, I do advise a wound third for better tone, and as the strings get slightly bigger, a plain string is just way too thick for the third string and sounds/plays really strange).
Start going thicker than the 10s etc and it's a lot tougher on the fingers and harder to play..

lolthrash said:
Start going thicker than the 10s etc and it's a lot tougher on the fingers and harder to play..

Actually, even with the 12's and being tuned at C#, I have to watch so I don't OVER bend due to the slack strings. But then I use 10s for standard tuning.

A wound 3rd string is a good idea, I forgot about that. I may give that a shot.

I generally use 9's and 10's for everything.
We play stuff in standard tuning, 1/2 step down, Drop D, Drop C#, Drop C, and whole step down.
For the most part I run 9's on both my PRS CE 22 and SC245 however I run tens on my SG. I've tried 11 but don't like them too much... my favorite has allways been 9's for feel and tone.

Hey George. Ignore everyone! :lol: What you need is a set of Ernie Ball "Skinny Top Heavy Bottom" or "Hybrid Slinky"strings. These let you drop tune without having to mess around too much with the truss rod. Also, because the high strings stay relatively thin, you can still play those solos without needing too much left hand pressure.

I agree with harsh.

Skinny Top Heavy Bottom Nickel Wound .010 - .052

I have been doing dropped C for about 10 years now and I wont use anything but these now, they are great for all-round size, sound, and they don't break often.

Again ask 10 players you'll get 10 different opinions.

I tune in D. Use a capo when I need to tune in E.

So for D on my 25.5" scales I use GHS Gilmour 10 - 48. I'm fine with those. On my Mustang I use D'Addario 11 - 49 (24" scale). They sound fine even in Drop C.

So if you tune Drop Db (I hate sharps) you'll be fine with these.

harsh said:
Hey George. Ignore everyone! :lol: What you need is a set of Ernie Ball "Skinny Top Heavy Bottom" or "Hybrid Slinky"strings. These let you drop tune without having to mess around too much with the truss rod. Also, because the high strings stay relatively thin, you can still play those solos without needing too much left hand pressure.
ignore everyone then suggest exactly what two of us already have?
.......ok, lol.

Also, Dunlop just came out with a new string "Heavy Core" that is made for DROP D and DROP C#.. see if your local store has some, and they may be the right thing for you.. they use a larger core to add tension, so you can drop tune with minimal adjustment.

Piney Hills Music said:
Also, Dunlop just came out with a new string "Heavy Core" that is made for DROP D and DROP C#.. see if your local store has some, and they may be the right thing for you.. they use a larger core to add tension, so you can drop tune with minimal adjustment.
i just got a D'Addario set similar to that. Extra Heavy 12-60. It says it is made for Drop C tuning...but i am probably going to stick with B Standard. They will be on my Jackson, which has a floyd, so i can't switch tunings. But i just got a DBZ Imperial which will allow me to get all the other tunings. It has 10's right now, but i just got some 11's for it. Btw...the Imperial is the best guitar i have ever played...i will make a thread later to show you guys. I will also try to get some vids done.

Does'nt Iommi use 8's... he's been using drop tunings longer than anyone here... it just so happens he's also influenced and inspired legions of followers... can lay claim to pioneering a genre... has awsome tone thats been respected by many of his peers and fans alike.

Ignore everyone ???

I call bullshit

Use whats best for you... you will know only after you have tried whats out there... then make your choice... strings are not that expensive so go for it.

skip past those other posts, here's the info you want (lol)

love the ZW 10-60 set...10-52 will work well too

there is no way you can use 8s and drop tune a decent amount and make it sound good

There is value in that opinion however...

My point is it's simply opinion... for anyone to know whats right for them they need to hear what many people have to say and try several different formats then choose whats best for them.

When asked what I use... 9 - 42 and 10 - 46 for everything. I set up all my own guitars and at the end of the day I'm happy with the tone, playability, dynamics and articulation of those guages with the tunings we use.

I'll never advise anyone not to try something... thats limiting... try many different things and find out yourself whats best.

+1 on the ZW 10-60 set. I tune to D standard and they handle it well. I've liked GHS Boomers for a long, long time.

I tune to dropped C# with my band (Dropped D a half step down) and use Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky's 12-56. But I also have VERY strong hands and like the guitar to fight back a bit. I previously used Blue Steel LTHB's at 10-52 and needed a bit more tension for my tastes.

Interesting note: My bassist tunes where we do and we tried something that worked really well. His tone was lacking articulation when he got a new Ampeg 4x10 rig this year and his modded Fender Jazz and EB Sting Ray sounded worse than a $250 Ibanez I owned that's standard tuned. We restrung the Fender with the lower 4 strings out of a 5-string set and it was amazing. I had to set up the bass and replaced the nut, but it was night and day in the punch, clarity and definition.

JadedFaith,
its amazing the variations going on...
and while on the topic of string tension...maybe YOU know the answer to this puzzle Ive had for 10 years now..
I have a Peavey guitar..its an Ecoustic , which is a solid body acoustic guitar they made for about 2 years. Its quite cool actually..has a piezo system on it..wqorks well for faux acoustic stuff..but the tension is ridiculous. Its 25 1/2 scale and even with .09s on it..it fights like *****!
I tried Dean Markely Zebra strings (made acoustic electrics) made no difference..why is it so hard to bend notes on this guitar (and play chords for any length of time?? I have other 25 1/2 scale and .09 on em..and its NOT like this..any suggestion why the tension is so nasty on this guitar?
GtrGeorge