My new Tube Tester

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK.
Usually, if you want to buy a tube tester, your only choice is to buy an
old used one and hope it works when it shows up. And, if you want to
find out more about a tube than just "Pass-Fail" it was really big bucks for
an old military tester like a TV-2 or TV-7 and, again cross your fingers
and hope it works, let alone works correctly.
A few months ago I bought a Tester from Paolo Longhin in Italy called a
Lo460. I didn't want to recommend it until I could be sure it was all it's
supposed to be. It is all that and more. It is OUTSTANDING!
For a quick look go to http://www.radiostoria.com/provavalvole.htm
I'll post more later.

And....
with this tester you can calculate the actual gain factor of your tubes,
see if your output tubes really match, find out your actual plate resistance,
see if your PI tube is really balanced, etc.

Depends on the model. I purchased to Lo460 which can use up to 460volts
on the plates. (Close enough to 500V for Randall)
You can email Paolo directly and discuss the models and pricing. I'll be a little less than on EBay. He communicates best in Italian. If needed, I'd be more than happy to help in answering any questions. Right up front, I'm not
financially involved in this. I just want to spread the word about a great product. If you do contact him please mention that I referred you, Pat Lozito.
The tester is controlled by a micro computer. All voltages are continuously
variable and accurate. These include, heater, plate, and bias with direct
digital readouts for heater, plate,and -bias voltage and plate current.
You can calculate amplification factor (u), Plate resistance, and transconductance from that information.

Hi Pat, this is Johnny Chong from Ireland. I bought the same tube tester from Paolo in 2011. I have to say it is really a fantastic tube tester. I always rely on Paolo’s emails for the settings for testing different types of tubes because I have very limited electronic knowledge. I lost his contact in 2012. I am stuck since then. Until yesterday I found out that he passed away in 2012 and there is nobody carrying out his work anymore. It’s really a great loss. He is a gentleman. As you are good at electronic and have own this tester for such a long long time, I will really appreciate if you can help me out with settings for the tubes I want to test. Do you know anybody can service the tube tester? My email is ([email protected]). Please help. Thank you for your time. Best Regards. Johnny

Wow 10 year old necro-thread.

Clicking that 10 year old link set off all sorts of red flags in my browser.

Sounds like it was a good tube tester, but at $800, I'm guessing they didn't sell many and went out of business.

I have the VT-1000, which gets the job done at a reasonable price (not the $500 retail price, the used market price). I get a lot of use out of mine, and have gotten refunds and returned junk tubes I took a chance on.

Yeah, it sure doesn't inspire much trust! But well, thanks for the recommendation of the VT-1000, I'll make sure to get one!