Fix for radio signals through your MTS gear

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaded Faith

Reaction score
I have been meaning to write this up for about 5 months now, so here it goes:

Many MTS users have noticed issues with their amps picking up odd radio broadcasts. This is only observed on some amps and in certain locations when there is a cable plugged into the input jack. It does not matter if the cable is plugged into a guitar or not. The cable is simply breaking a short to ground when it is plugged in and acting as an antenna. Higher gain modules will make this more pronounced as they amplify the signal to higher levels of gain than a clean. Many Marshall amps also have this issue. I have owned 6 MTS amps and it was hit or miss regarding this problem. Some have this fix straight from the factory: my current RM20 did, my RM4 did not.

A simple fix for this is to remove the input board from your amp and solder a 1000pf ceramic capacitor between hot and ground on your 1/4" input jack. You have to carefully remove the nut that holds the jack to the front plate of your amp and the whole board will come out. A 1kV 1000pf ceramic cap is then soldered between the tip and center solder joints for the input jack on the bottom of the PCB. This will short the radio signals to ground rather than amplifying them through your amp. Your tone will not be affected. Here is a picture of my RM4 with the cap added:

InputBoard.jpg

Feel free to ask any questions and hope this helps!

DISCLAIMER: AS YOU ALL KNOW, THERE ARE DEADLY VOLTAGES INSIDE TUBE AMPS. BE SURE TO UNPLUG AND DISCHARGE THEM BEFORE OPENING THEM TO WORK ON THEM. IF YOU ARE AT ALL UNSURE HOW TO DO THIS, TAKE YOUR AMP TO A QUALIFIED TECH TO DO THE WORK FOR YOU. ALTHOUGH THIS IS A VERY SIMPLE TWEAK, I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOU OR YOUR AMP.

would licking the circuit board while running the amp be the fastest way to discharge the power caps?

bhuard75 said:
would licking the circuit board while running the amp be the fastest way to discharge the power caps?
Not sure Bobby....give it a shot and let me know how that works out for you. :lol:

Awe man, why didn't you tell me about this earlier?! Every time we play Whiskey Tango I get interference; just as you described. No cable no noise; but plug in the cable, with or w/o guitar and it picks up nasty intermittent buzz. Of course I'd never attempt this myself, but next time I drop by I'll have my RM4 with me ;)

tryrook said:
Worked like a charm! Thank you thank you thank you!!!
Glad I could help! This is probably the cheapest/easiest fix you could ever have for this. I have the best cables money can buy and this is a $1.00 solution that works perfectly.

Ugh.... We play a place a few times a year that is surrounded by radio and TV towers and my amp picks up something EVERY time we're there. Gonna have to do this fix ASAP. Thanks for the info!

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=970

Select the 1000pf in the list. ;)

BTW I must have missed this thread. Thanks for the fix Rob!

Is this a pretty consistent/safe trick across other manufacturer's amps as well? I hadn't noticed issues with any of my Egnater/MTS gear, but did take my Vendetta out for a jam session last week and it was picking up radio stations like crazy (even though it's always been ok at home).

Thanks,
--Brent

I have yet to run into an amp it didn't work for. Not that I have tried it on more than a few amps, but it should work.