Is there a Randall MTS / Egnater exodus ocurring???

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKD

Reaction score
What the heck is going on.....seems like a ton of stuff for sale right now, from both camps?

I know we're slightly insane/OCD anyway, so it could be a sell-off of surplus gear....?

It's a bear to shift anything right now, let alone primo pieces...what gives folks?

The mailman Dan always seems to say "the grass is greener...." even when it isn't ;-)

My guess is it's a combination of a few things:

1) No new modules
2) The changeover in management for both camps
3) The novelty is wearing off

I know people were pretty up in arms after Randall failed to deliver on the promised new modules. Doug moving into Jeff's position seems to have put a serious cramp on things in the Randall world. No new RM4's and a sincere lack of any updates since. Things aren't much better on the other side either and folks are selling their Egnater stuff by the droves. The modular system is a great concept but I think the main problem is keeping up with consumer demand. There are only so many amps to emulate and for the large part both camps have blown their wad. Salvation and the other modders have made a nice niche for themselves by filling in some of the gaps but it's almost tapped out.

To further expound, I feel that what is happening is that folks are figuring out that these things will get you in the ballpark but simply aren't the same thing as a high dollar amp. While Frank is correct that power amps are fairly static in their role, there are amps out there (the Uber for instance, which for the record I despise) whose tones are largely based on their power sections. Orange amps also come to mind. I have been toying with the notion of flipping my rack system as well lately for a /13 or Ark. I love the flexibility but my rig is completely impractical for a club gig.

In closing I think both camps could potentially shore up the hemorrhaging if they would simply communicate a bit and let folks know what has been happening behind the scenes and where they are headed. I know Bruce has made an effort to come on here and give folks a heads up on the production being outsourced so this is mainly toward the Randall guys. Anyway that's my observation.

But if you like the tone, why sell and buy something else? I think a lot of the selling has to do with the "I need the money to pay off this bill before the collectors start breaking fingers." I don't think it has anything to do with lack of new modules.

I've got 7 modules. I've got four I rarely use. I can't use all 7 every day so I picked 3 favorites.

So then the grass is greener thing.... okay so if you sell and buy a new or used amp of a different kind, how long are you going to stay there? I know guys that have 10 different amps. WTF?

Right now about the only thing that could make this unit go away would be a flood of cash and a great modeling unit.

Some of us are just joining the party, and what a fun party it is. I found a loaded RM50 w/blackface & 1086 modules in the local Craigslist for $500.

I've already traded the 1086 and bought used tweed, plexi and XTC preamps and I'm having tons of fun with these. I think they sound great stock, and can only imagine the mods sound better.

I know Bruce has said he intends to mass-produce the modular line for Egnater. The tone snobs might not like it, but if the modular line gets ramped up and picked up by Egnater's dealer network it could really take off!

Really hoping to see more from Randall. I'm so happy with my new (used) purchase.

so it could be a sell-off of surplus gear....?
This was me...but I still have around 8 modded mods and 3 amps. At one point I had dozens all modded, but that was financially insane

As for stepping up to a high priced amp, who wants to plunk down 3-4k and up for an amp to bring it into the bar scene? That would suck when it needs to go into the shop, these mts components are relatively inexpensive to replace pieces- besides, I love my tones

crankyrayhanky said:
so it could be a sell-off of surplus gear....?
This was me...but I still have around 8 modded mods and 3 amps. At one point I had dozens all modded, but that was financially insane

As for stepping up to a high priced amp, who wants to plunk down 3-4k and up for an amp to bring it into the bar scene? That would suck when it needs to go into the shop, these mts components are relatively inexpensive to replace pieces- besides, I love my tones

Not to mention, if a module does need repair, you can still gig with the remaining modules or replace it for the time being with another. Or use it as an excuse to by more! :D

I can't imagine anyone who was already happy with the tones they are getting out of their mts gear is going to sell everything just because Randall didn't come through with the promised new modules. Does that suddenly make their amp suck?

I am new to Randall and the MTS system. I can say that I am less than impressed with support and availability so far. I have bought a randall cabinet through one of their dealers that was supposed to be new and on sale. Shipped directly from Randall. It said REFURBISHED on the side. I opened it up and it had a hole in the tolex and the piping was missing around the baffle. I contacted the company I bought it from and they said Randall said it was the last one they had. Hmmmm.... Does that make it OK to send someone a refurbed cabinet for new price? I don't think so. Next purchase was a JTM module that I have been waiting for 2 weeks so far.... no sign of it or any updates. Sad sad service. I am about ready to go back to Marshall.

You also have to remember it is prime "sell" season too, Taxes and other bonus checks are all in, so it's the best time to sell. also I think there are a few things, like said above it gets you in the ballpark, but furthermore i think is that the MTS gives you such a diverse amount of amp types/tone to choose from , it gives us the ability to play tones from Marshall/Mesa/Bogner/Fender, etc daily and thus allowing us to find the sounds we really like, then we go buy that brand and sell of the MTS which allowed us to discover "ourself" or maybe i just think to much...

R&F'N Roll

slashnstrings said:
You also have to remember it is prime "sell" season too, Taxes and other bonus checks are all in, so it's the best time to sell. also I think there are a few things, like said above it gets you in the ballpark, but furthermore i think is that the MTS gives you such a diverse amount of amp types/tone to choose from , it gives us the ability to play tones from Marshall/Mesa/Bogner/Fender, etc daily and thus allowing us to find the sounds we really like, then we go buy that brand and sell of the MTS which allowed us to discover "ourself" or maybe i just think to much...

R&F'N Roll
I don't think this is true, I'm veeeery happy with my Sloogie (soldano) module for rythm, but I wouldn't want an SLO for two reasons:
1: I don't like the sound for lead
2: I'd have to sell my soul to pay it :lol:

SO I'll take the SLO rythm and XTC lead please, sounds you do *not* easily find in another amp.
And next to that I have now found my ultimate crunch sound in a modded 1086 and clean I've been dreaming of in the Twinface.

The stuff just sound fantabulous and any (fixed) 4 channel amp is a compromise to me! Believe me, I tried some :lol:

I think it's mostly to due with the fact that the MTS system is not the most economical solution, and people are feeling the crunch of the financial times.
Couple that with the "prime sell season" and it's not that strange to see people unloading a lot of gear. ;)

I will admit that i have been slightly unimpressed with the evolution of the MTS stuff. It is a great idea, having one tube amp that can emulate other gear, kinda like a Line6 except it doesn't suck. But truth be told the modules are mediocre at best and the fact that they have only done so much is embarrassing and shameful. I am lucky that there are some awesome modders out there who are willing to turn the crap stock modules into awesome stuff but Randall (i can't speak for Egnater) should be producing Anthony and Pete level stuff off the line. I am not getting rid of my stuff because thanks in large part to Anthony i have an amazing rig that if i bought the amps separately they'd take up half a stage and cost around 12 grand. But some folks may be egressing at a quick rate due to Randall's lack of originality since '07 and the fact that the new Line6/Bogner stuff and other new pre amps are poised to surpass Randall soon.

Wake up Randall. Don't let this line die off so easily.

Peace, Joshua

I have had 2 RM50 combos, 2 RM100 heads, and have tried somewhere in the ballpark of 15 modules in either modded or stock form. I am down to one RM100 and 5 modules. I found what I like and have no intention of selling anything else. I love the modular concept and the tones that I am getting. I also am a big fan of my Egnater TM2X12.

When I first starting getting into the modular stuff, I wanted to try as many tones that I could get my hands on so I naturally had pieces to move once I found what I was looking for. All is good in my modular land.

It would be nice to see some new modules and not just signature modules. Haven't heard anything about the Scott Ian module lately but that seemed to be the only one that was 'coming'.

Summer NAMM is coming up. Hopefully some new things will be revealed.

I have noticed that the musicians' that are active on this and The Rig-talk forms are constantly changing amp gear. I don't get it. :roll:

After years of searching for a mutli-toned amp that can be MIDI controlled, I've found my home neatly tucked inside the Egnater/Randall MTS series.
In fact, you would have to pry them from my cold dead fingers!

The coolest thing is if you want a different tone just switch modules'.

I think that most guitarist are not sure of what they really want, they hear a tone and think "that's' what I want" & then they get said amp and it does not sound like they thought it would. And some of them want to sound like *pick your favorite here* and sadly they never will because they are not that guitarist.

And some people just like lots of cool sounding toys! :oops:

I agree with LRStrat. Some guitarist get to a point where they say "THAT'S IT! I'VE FOUND MY TONE!!!" And then they'll hear a new amp and lose interest in their current one. I went through that when I had a Bogner Shiva, and thought it was "My tone" but grew tired of it. That's where the MTS stuff comes in handy. Buy a load of modules and when you get tired of one sound, move to another or get some modded.

I will say at one point I thought about selling some MTS gear to buy an Egnater Tourmaster or Renegade. But instead, I just took up a second job. :lol:

Not to mention they are losing their endorsers....They took Dan Donegan and Gus G off their website along with Michael Amott. Honestly, it doesnt surprise me...but it doesnt help the fact since people are so swayed by their idols...Also, just like someone had mentioned earlier that Randall hasnt shown much interest in coming out with new module to re-inspire consumers to continue to hold on to these awesome amps. I for one would love to see the Engl module and even a Framus Cobra.....I wish there was a lot more communication, that would keep people on their toes and loyal to the brand

I am one of those people trying to dump everything Randall. I have been around here couple of years + and have bought and sold from alot of you. I have owned 4 rm 50's and 4 Rm 20's, and almost every module twice. I am 40, not rich, not poor. I have owned 6 JCM 800's , Soldano Decatone, Soldano HR50+xl, 2 Splawn quickrods, a couple 5150's... ect. I bought the Randalls because they were versatle and you could bias them yourself. 2 of my 50's blew, the 3rd I sold almost right away( got scared) and the 4th I am selling now. 1 of the 20's died. None of them were gigged, all were ultra protected and power conditioned. I buy the best tubes and the amps are biased right. The reason I'm saying that is it is common for members to constantly blame tubes which is bulls..t. Bad batch of el'34's?, Its all I use and mine were fine, never read that anywhere but here. It might be true I just havent seen it blamed for massive failures of other amp companies.Check any forum or harmony central, you dont see total failures because of bad tubes, you see shitty sounds due to bad tubes and bam! ..changed the tubes and it sounds great, not changed the tubes and its still dead so lets check some of the 47 diffrerent fuses in the amp, are you fuc..ng kidding me?, never had to to that to even a crappy 5150. Sorry but it is simply poor quality and really shitty transformers. Play alot and loud?, sounds not quite right after awhile, tranny fatigue, it gets worse as you play more. I understand not every amp is prefect and all do have problems but Randall has alot . I hear alot of bad things coming out of the new Randall regime, and the RM 50 is dead because of "pricepoint", so the RM100 is the new flagshit. Step back, its easy as hell to see the Randall Mts ship is sinking and they dont care. Please dont get me wrong ,they are versatile and sound good, but have shown that their quality and parts are sub standard , and now Randall does not care either, bet they wont warranty them like they used to either. Used to get faceplates in 3 days now it takes 2 1/2 weeks. Its way beyond time to go.

rockman said:
PS. George Lynch dont play these live or record with them..get over it!

Apart from the other flames this is just a pathetic comment.
A lot of guitarists don't use their sig gear, and it's widely known (on here) that GL doesn't use the Lynch Box, who cares?

I don't like going into defensive mode but:
The fuses are mainly protection, I'd rather repair an amp for $0,50 than having to send it back multiple times, which is what my old rythm guitarist had to do constantly with his Marshall.
Maybe the values are a bit tight .. that's a mistake from Randall but doesn't make it a bad amp.

There are many people as well who've never had problems .. your personal experience does not make you allknowing.

I read a comment from George's tech that he did use the Lynch Box a fair bit on the latest Lynch Mob cd...which by the way has some great guitar playing on it. Whether or not it's true, I like to believe it!

I personally found out why people own two Marshall amps.... because one is always in the shop.

I personally found out that tubes suck. They're unreliable. It just depends upon how lucky you are. Don't try to tell me otherwise. I went through 9 quads in a year and have gone through several preamp tubes that were less than two years old (hello microphonics). NOS in most cases isn't worth the price either because they can fail just as easily. Tube stuff is heavy as hell. Tube amps are expensive to maintain. These are reasons we've pretty much abandoned tube technology in 99% of applications.

I'm on my longest lasting quad right now -- 8 months. They're Ruby 6550s. I think the only reason that they're still working is that I've got three backup quads. I prefer EL34s tonally but they just don't last.

I've also learned that if enough tubes fry in an amp eventually something somewhere else fries.
There also are posts on this board where the tube fuse blew (indicating a bad tube) and the person just replaced the fuse several times without changing the tube. Then something went wrong with the amp. And a bad review gets written up. If the tube fuse blows, replace the fuse AND the tube. How hard can it be?

Julia, I think maybe the new Marshall jv whatever is not the way to go, Check ebay and find alot of marshalls form the 70's and 80's still rockin. Like I said in my post no amp company is perfect but I am pretty sure your not going to see a 35 year old rm 20 that anybody wants because Van Halen 34 was recorded on it. The fact of the matter is MTS is the Line 6 of tube modeling, and modeling is good, although it is a RIPOFF of someone elses work, period. What however is missing is ... what is it?, i'm not sure myself, I know it is a tradeoff for tone, dymanics and true quality that will last a lifetime. Xtc module in a RM100 or Real Bogner with Military spec components?, huge difference in price and you can easily pull out your module in your amp and replace it but there is no contest, really its money I guess, but you dont have to spend Bogner money either to get quality.. Randall amps are not the quality that is going to stand the test of time, just look around in this Egnater/Randall amp forum alone, look at the problems. For example I am a Marshall guy I guess, I really like the JCM 800 but dont play out anymore so I dont need the fire power of the 50/100 watts. Had the SL+, Brown, KH2, KH3, plexi, all the marshall modules . I just bought a Budda Superdrive 30, I can get the Blackface, deluxe, tweed, jtm, top boost, plexi ,brown(KH-2)and almost a gained up SL+,all I will have to do is add a simple boost and I will be there and then some. The trade off is my amp was made in the USA, sounds better than the modules, has a shitload more dynamics and will last forever with normal tune ups here and there, no fuc..d up loop, I can actaully buy a cheap Boss dd-3 and have a delay or a chorus or whatever, its gonna be great. I have had the budda for about 30 minutes now, thats all it took to figure this out. As far as the tube thing goes, I cant even beging to think of how many hours you play at full volume per day to go through 9 quads in a year, something is really wrong there unless you are rockin 24/7 which would be awesome. I drank the Randall kool-aid, no more, it aint worth it.

Side note. I am not ignorant enough to believe that endorsee's actually use their crap, alot do, Yngwie, Zakk, Slash, whatever.. dont matter. I dont give a **** what Goerge Lynchs guitar tech said ( Gerry G , sold him a couple guitars) you are not going to use a f-in Lynch Shitbox with a Brahma when you have the real plexi. ( remeber the one he MODELED the brahma after)He has that amp sitting there. Hell yes he says he uses the stuff, its in the contract, Hmmm.. lets see do I want to use my Real 92 recto to record this or pop in a grail ,are you kidding me, dream on.......wake up.. drink more Randall kool-aid... back to sleep to dream some more