Played alot of amps recently,the best one is

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike361

Reaction score
My rm50 combo. I have some extra dough to spend on gear and went out to test some amps. I tried a marshall, egnater tweaker and the rebel, the class 5, a couple others that I won't mention. The bad part is they all had something good about them but all had something bad as well. I liked the class 5 at cranked volume but sucked at low. The tweaker was nice but even switching all the stuff around I still thought my blackface or plexi module ect. sounds better. Now I do understand that some of my comparisons are of much lesser value but even the marshall I tried, one of the j ones sounded good but I could not get the Blackface sound from it. Maybe I am so used to the rm that everything else sounds wrong to me. My post here is also to tell the Randall people that you have made a great product but really dropped the ball on getting it out there for the masses. Talked to a GC. salesmen/manager and he has never heard a mts in person. If you can't get your stuff in GC you are bound to fail. As much as I would love to shop another store, there are not that many left except GC, ASH Sweetwater. Musicians want to hear what they are getting before spending the kind of money the mts stuff cost. Sorry about the rant but here it is. MTS= best amp for the money by far. Your incredibly **** job of marketing will or has killed it all.

Hello fellow southeastern Michigander! I'm in Wyandotte, just FYI...I couldn't agree more...Randall is sitting on a real gem...And it's very sad and seemingly stupid that this stuff isn't available everywhere...If enough people heard it, there would be MANY more sales...I guess Randall is gonna focus on one and two trick ponies rather than a versatile system that can meet virtually anyone's needs...Marketing must be underfunded right now...

The only store in SE MI that I found to sell MTS is Motor City Guitar, in Waterford. That was maybe 2 years ago, so I don't know if they still do or not. Waterford would be a long drive for you guys, but maybe worth it. I'd call them to see if they still have any MTS and which amps/modules are in stock.

Hey guys! I'm up in Midland, MI!

Mid Michigan Music, at two locations, in Midland and Bay City, carry lots of MTS gear (although I had to order my RM50LB). I walked into the Midland store two months ago and asked for THEE most versatile and quality amp they had. They suggested the MTS series, I tried out a few modules, and now I'm hooked. -Just ask mattfig!

Yeah, it's a real shame that not more people know about Randall's module gear. I posted pics of my new stuff on the MyLesPaul forum and they don't know what to think, although some "have heard" good things about Randall.

I think it has to do with the fact that not very many $2000 amps are moving these days. Why do I say $2000 amp? Because the head has to be loaded with modules to demo. This puts the price up into the Marshall JVM 410 and "midrange" Soldano price range. For a lot of people it might as well cost $4000. And because of all the modules it's an expensive line to carry in stock except online.

I've been in GC where they have like four Egnater amps and the store personel has no idea what they sound like or what their features are. The sales people pretty much know four names: Fender, Marshall, Mesa, and Peavey... oh and Boss.

The only stuff moving is the small amps under $500. Stores in my area are surviving with instrument rentals for school bands and orchestras.

But Randall has taken out inside cover (prime space) ads in Guitar World and Guitar Player. So they're not letting the product die.

That is cool there are some other hockeytowners out there. I know some others on this forum as well. A good friend of mine not on the forum was hooked when he heard mine. As far as the post goes I still say if you aren't in G.C. forget it. They have lots o money so I am sure they could have a few around, they are the biggest chain ever. Funny the first I ever heard of one was on a Marshall forum and a guy said the mts blew his tsl away and so I set out to find one. I could not find anyone at that time that had a amp. A few retailers here said they had a couple left over modules but were not buying anymore mts stuff. That was 5 years ago. I had never heard of it and they were not carrying Randall anymore. Well I thought it would change and someday I could walk into G.C. and play some modules. 4-5 years ago things were pretty good as I remember. As I said, The MTS line is the best I have ever heard. I know different strokes and all, but that's just me. I plan on buying a rm22 for a take out amp.

Well,

I like the MTS for its versatility, and sound quality that goes with it. Most who can afford a new MTS setup can also afford 1 of ea. on the real thing. The rest of the people can afford, well you know, the 1000 trick pony from China that costs $300.

Yep...Motor City Music still sells MTS gear...That place is a hike for me - but oh such a cool place...Lynch was there last year, although I don't know if he was promoting Randall or not...

Mid Michigan music I've heard is very good...Never been...Around downriver, there's nowhere to even see MTS gear - except in my studio!

Atleast with the mts,you can buy used gear and buy the rest piece by piece.That's what I did now I've got what I wanted,it just took time but for me it is easier to spend a couple hundred here and there than 2grand all at once.I live in Sarnia right across the river from Port Huron,it's only 45 minute drive to Detroit as a matter of fact I go too the G.C in Roseville to get stuff the stores around here don't have.

I love my MTS stuff. I tried out an Eggie Renegade head as a possible trade for my RM100 - was looking to lighten my load. Hands down my RM100 with a Blackface, Plexi, and SL+ or my modded Brown blew it away in the tone department. Not even close. Biggest concern for me in the newest (black faceplate) stuff is the quality. One of our local MTS dealers is thinking of getting out of it because the quality is going downhill.

Anyone else heard anything about poor quality in the newest stuff? Mine's now about 3 or 4 years old, so I can't say.

I have to say it:
GC is NOT your friend...they are like the Walmart of Music stores. And just like Walmart, they can decide if a product lives or dies.
I had to drive 9 hrs to hear my MTS amp...I went to Auburn Music Group in Texas (Longview Texas)
Its at 604 West Cotton Street #100
Longview, TX 75604
(903) 757-1155

and they were GREAT. Not like GC..Auburn let me take the amp (an rm100 AND a Rm4 into a big,big room (a recording studio,in fact..) and play FOR AS LONG AS I WANTED TO.
Support the companies that support YOU. Auburn took the chance and carried the MTS line, and I am grateful for that. Their prices were totally fair, and I cant recomend them more.
fwiw: I found out about Auburn because I emailed Randall and said "where can I hear a MTS amp?" They responded within 24hrs with the name of Auburn. Then I made the drive. It was like 8 years ago..and I havent looked back. Randall didnt tell me why there wasnt an amp closer, but i suspect its because the big box stores have kept them out.
I think GC has basically kept the MTS line out. And like Walmart, you cant quarrel with them..because they hold the keys to YOUR future,if you are trying sell gear.
I strongly recommend shifting your purchases to small shops, like Auburn. The prices are not much different, they stand behind what they sell..and it will pull the plug on GC deciding what products you can have, or cant have.
GtrGeorge

GtrGeorge! said:
I have to say it:
GC is NOT your friend...they are like the Walmart of Music stores. And just like Walmart, they can decide if a product lives or dies.
I had to drive 9 hrs to hear my MTS amp...I went to Auburn Music Group in Texas (Longview Texas)
Its at 604 West Cotton Street #100
Longview, TX 75604
(903) 757-1155

and they were GREAT. Not like GC..Auburn let me take the amp (an rm100 AND a Rm4 into a big,big room (a recording studio,in fact..) and play FOR AS LONG AS I WANTED TO.
Support the companies that support YOU. Auburn took the chance and carried the MTS line, and I am grateful for that. Their prices were totally fair, and I cant recomend them more.
fwiw: I found out about Auburn because I emailed Randall and said "where can I hear a MTS amp?" They responded within 24hrs with the name of Auburn. Then I made the drive. It was like 8 years ago..and I havent looked back. Randall didnt tell me why there wasnt an amp closer, but i suspect its because the big box stores have kept them out.
I think GC has basically kept the MTS line out. And like Walmart, you cant quarrel with them..because they hold the keys to YOUR future,if you are trying sell gear.
I strongly recommend shifting your purchases to small shops, like Auburn. The prices are not much different, they stand behind what they sell..and it will pull the plug on GC deciding what products you can have, or cant have.
GtrGeorge

This! :)

walshinator666 said:
I live in Sarnia right across the river from Port Huron,it's only 45 minute drive to Detroit as a matter of fact I go too the G.C in Roseville to get stuff the stores around here don't have.

I am about 4 miles south of there.

Funny thing is, Egnater is central to all of the Michigan guys in this thread, and we're all playing Randall.

I haven't used GC for anything other than strings and picks since '98. That was their demise here in MI, from what I remember. I loved that place up until then.

I've used GC for software and for buying a Gibson since they were the only show in town for Gibsons at the time. I found a nice SG Std and got a good price. Heritage Cherry one piece body. The local store management is really good. But GC is hurting like everyone else.

I've seen their inventory dwindle. It used to be crammed full, but you can go in on Saturday and it's like a tomb. Same with the other GCs in the area.

They've got like 4 amp heads in there that cost over $1500. They used to routinely have 10 including a couple SLOs. It's not like the can't keep stuff in inventory, it's that they can't have that stuff in inventory. Corporate profits are down. How long they can keep this up is another story.

However their presence in town also keeps the other music stores prices in line.

This is the only amp I bought based upon soundclips. I got it on a warranty exchange. If I hadn't heard them back in 08 I wouldn't have bought the amp. I was playing my Peavey 6505 during this time after my JVM blew a gasket and the store had given me credit. They said they'd try to get me the Randall. After six weeks and hearing "no can't get it" from them I went down to pick up the Marshall 1987X and just deal with it -- I have a Hot Plate so I'd be able to crank the amp, or have it modded with a PPIMV. when I got there I was told they'd become Randall dealers and that they could get me the Lynch Box loaded at the then MF price of $1659, and that they had it on the way.

The Brahma sounded just like the 1987X. So I was quite happy with the whole thing. But the store doesn't stock Randall stuff because there just isn't the demand. They don't even stock anything by Peavey anymore because it just sits there for years. They had a Classic 30 sit there for 5 years, a Bandit sit there for 7 years. The only amps that move are Fenders, Line 6, Vox VT series, and Marshalls, but even these aren't moving in this economy.

People need jobs in order to buy stuff.

I don't go to G.C much anymore,they have a once in a lifetime green tag sale every 3-4 months.When I got my jackson ke3 I went to G.C. to try it out then bought it from M.F.They pull you in with sales then everything on sale is junk(the old bait and switch).

Yes,

well, here in LA LA land, different story. My local GC actually has cool salespeople, but a crap inventory, just overpriced guitars. Sometimes they get an interesting used piece. There is a Pitbull CL in there now, but it wont' stay. I don't live far from GC Hollywood; guitar Disneyland. LA is full of people who are making bank from the recession, and 1000X more losing their rears, so the burb GCs are hurting, and the other ones are business as usual. I just go to sp. order the odd pedal now; that's my nickname at my local one...

Later!

But GC and MF use the same warehouse and inventory. Same corporation. Different divisions.

If you hate GC then support Sweetwater.

Julia said:
But GC and MF use the same warehouse and inventory. Same corporation. Different divisions.

If you hate GC then support Sweetwater.

Amen. Sweetwater for MTS stuff. American Musical Supply too for other gear. I always avoid MF.

Latest posts