Preamp tubes for RM-4?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wengnutt

Reaction score
So I've been thinking about this alot lately, but what 3 preamp tubes does everyone use in their RM4? I'm trying to get a smoother tone, with not so much edge or aggresive gain, and I'm going to be swapping out tubes in the modules soon as well. I just want to cover all my grounds. What would everyone recommend?

Thanks!

Hey you got THREE tubes? Aw man, I only got TWO tubes in my M4. :cry:

Seriously - I didn't think the RM4 and M4 would be that different (is the third tube perhaps for the effects loop, which isn't present on the M4?). The M4 has the upper tube socket labeled "12AT7", and the bottom one labeled "12AX7". For a while I had a Tung-Sol 12AX7 in the bottom and a Mullard 12AT7WA/CV402 in the upper socket. After some time, I realized I didn't like the Mullard 12AT7WA, and now I've just got a pair of Egnater-labeled Sovtek 12AX7s which sound great to me . . .

I think you're right, the extra tube is for the effects loop.

I was thinking about a 12AT7 to see how it would sound actually. Just didn't want it to be as gainy as it has been.

Thanks for the suggestion! :D

What effect do the tubes have on the tone? I know they don't do the same thing as preamp tubes because they are part of a different type of circuit, but what differences are there in tone or feel with using different tubes?

wengnutt said:
So I've been thinking about this alot lately, but what 3 preamp tubes does everyone use in their RM4? I'm trying to get a smoother tone, with not so much edge or aggresive gain, and I'm going to be swapping out tubes in the modules soon as well. I just want to cover all my grounds. What would everyone recommend?

Thanks!

Try a JAN 5751 in the upper tube location in the preamp. This Will tame down the front end gain stage feeding the modules. All the modular gear's first gain stage is in the amp or preamp (not the module) so this tube has a strong influence on overall gain, tone and feel of the modules.

muudrock said:
wengnutt said:

Thanks!

Try a JAN 5751 in the upper tube location in the preamp. This Will tame down the front end gain stage feeding the modules. All the modular gear's first gain stage is in the amp or preamp (not the module) so this tube has a strong influence on overall gain, tone and feel of the modules.
Actually, isn't the bottom one on the RM4 the V1 tube?
The top left is output buffer and right is effects loop buffer (seen from the back).
At least, that's what SacredGroove told me, after searching I found he said somethig else in a different post.
Either way, the bottom tube is labeled V1 on the PCB ;) So I'd guess that's correct.. (really it's a matte rof trying it out and seeing the difference in tone)

Latest posts