Looking to buy - what to look for??

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warlok

Reaction score
I'm looking right now for a RM100 for a decent price (stupid ebay snipers!!!) but don't know much about them. Members on JCF had good things to say and told me to come here. So I'll ask the gurus.. Are there any known issues I should look for? Better older than newer or vice versa? Big difference between head or combo? Anything else? I have 2 Carvin 4x12's (1 with G12T-100's and 1 with Eminence Legends) and 2 tube heads (Peavey Ultra Plus and Crate BV both being sold) so what I get (head or combo) will decide what I keep.

I tried the search but not much luck. I did see that some had an issue with picking up interference but it's apparently fixed at the factory at some point and it's an easy fix if not (1000uf cap). Is this a really common problem?

And I guess I'll also ask what's a decent price. Seen heads go unloaded for $4-500, and loaded $600+, that sound about right? What's the going rate on a 2x12 combo loaded or unloaded?

Thanks.

I personally prefer the head units. It's a personal preference. Look for an RM100 here, better and cheaper than ebay. coldMachine is a good guy and has one for sale.

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=11664

Very much thinking about that one. Maybe I'll be at 10 posts or a sneaky PM before the end of the day... 8)

I tend to agree with drewiv about searching and buying here. Forum members work hard to keep each other honest so you need not worry about price gouging or lies. Many sellers like coldmachine will tell you straight out if they do not think a purchase is right for you, such as buying a head when a combo would be better. I personally like the heads more but that is because i like the freedom to mix and match cabinets. I think you have made a wise choice to join us here and we will work overtime to answer any questions you have. As far as the old and new question, well when you start buying modules you might want to come back and ask us. Modules do have "golden ages" it seems.

Peace, Joshua

Most forums I'm on are really good about that and the dishonest disappear fast. And I, as I'm sure many do, appreciate that.

Looks like I'll have a head and 2 modules on the way soon. Woohoo!!

Got the RM100M from coldmachine and a KH1 and 1086 on the way.. Woohoo!! :D

warlok said:
Got the RM100M from coldmachine and a KH1 and 1086 on the way.. Woohoo!! :D

I'm sure you will be very pleased. coldMachine is a great guy and the RM100 is a really fun piece of equipment.

Congratulations on your new MTS gear - and welcome!

The modular pre-amp design is awesome and very addicting if you are a tone tweeker. I strongly recommend that you look into some modified modules. They are in a whole different league than stock.

If you post a description of what kinds of tones you are looking for or like, you'll get all kinds of great suggestions.

Have fun!

Good choice. I have had 2 RM50 combo's and a RM100M and currently have a 1 of 3 RM100KH. Both combo's had an odd bottom end to me. They were much darker than the heads and sounded a little flubby. It would have worked great for some tones but they didn't work for me.

I have a couple vid clips on here in the Rigs and Tones section if you want to hear some Marshally types of modules. I was hammered in one of them so take it for what it is. :lol:

Hammered playing guitar?? That's right in my wheelhouse, man!! Probably why I've never gotten real good or gigged... :?

Once I get it I'll screw around and see what it's like and have a better idea of what I'm looking for. I'll definitely be looking for opinions, as I'm somewhat or a gear *****..

+1 on coldmachine being a good guy. I've bought a Plexi from him and just bought a Gigmods Ultra. I own an RM100 and have owned it since 05'. No issues whatsoever. I think the ones that do have issues are going to appear no matter what brand you buy. For the most part, I hear very few people with major problems with their RM100s. I personally feel that the RM100 offers a more responsive interaction between the pre and power sections as opposed to the RM4+RT2/50 setup. Also, the overall weight of the head is actually lighter and the overall package more compact. The RM4 lets you have an extra module space, but these modules sound really good and 3 really is enough for most situations, especially live. I own a Gigmods twin that I bought from another guy on this very forum(eldangerouso) and I was amazed at the difference. I owned a Blackface stock module that I was pretty satisfied with, but the Gigmods Twin, a modified Blackface, sounds so much clearer and fatter that I almost could not believe what I was hearing. It also has a switch that gains it up a little and does the Deluxe sound. I promptly sold my stock Blackface. I also modded an XTC myself with great results based on info shared by other forum members and Rob of Jaded Faith mods. So yes, the modded modules do make a difference. They also allow you to add switches and/or knobs to add additional levels of flexibility and range. The possibilities are broad. On the down side, modded modules lead to explosive GAS. I can hardly wait until my Gigmods Ultra arrives.
0.jpg

Sound Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXGF8bHE17A

Welcome warlok. Enjoy the 100. You have a high gainer & a clean, now all you need is a mid gainer like the plexi. Like the JCF this board also leads to frequent boughts of G.A.S.

I can't wait to get it. I like the reviews I've seen about the KH1 and 1086. Hopefully I get some other stuff sold and have cash on hand for mods. We'll see. Email says scheduled for friday but tracking hasn't updated yet. I hate the waiting part!!

I will be shopping for Modules very soon guys. Please point me in the right direction!

Thanks,

Mikey

Hey man. I'd recommend driving yourself completely 100% batshit like I did listening to clips and videos of modules. There's stock, stock (version X.X), discontinued, re-named/re-labeled, self modded, self modded (with new nickname), pro modded, pro modded and re-named, pretty much anything you'd possibly want. Start out simple, get confused, then it will start to fall in place as to which is which and does what...

Seriously though, listen to clips and put up a thread of what you're interested in and you'll get lots of great suggestions. Be weary though, is this a hobby for you? Or is it an addiction.. Your wallet decides... Choose wisely young one.. (in my best zen like voice.. :D )

You should be able to have fun with your RM100, but be careful, it is definitely a "hot rodder" item! I am fairly new (less than a year) with my RM100 and I found;

that it mainly needed better tubes and some carefully chosen (possibly modified) modules.

The "names" of the stock modules are a bit misleading, and depending on your speakers, guitar and tube choice, may end up being more or less gainy than their name suggests.

You will definitely find PILES of tips and tricks around here to get what you want out of the amp.

Have fun!