RT2/50 question (new member)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucksears

Reaction score
Hi,
I just got a used RT2/50 a couple of weeks ago to run with my Egnater M4. Since the PDF manual for the RT2/50 is a bit sparse on details (or pics, for that matter), I have a couple of questions some of you might be able to fill me in on.

1) How are you M4 (or RM) guys setting your volume controls? I have the volume on the module, the master volume on the M4, and the volume on the power amp. Not sure what the SOP is for a separate preamp & poweramp since this is the first time I've used a rig like this.

2) Fan noise: has anyone switched out the fans on these for something quieter? Seriously, between the fan on the M4 and the louder one on the RT2/50, they are bit much. It's not ball-bearing noise, it's just the airflow.

3) On the RT2/50: if I'm just using one cab, and I connect that to the 'main output' of Channel 1 (set to 'switching' instead of 'stereo'), can I effectively switch to Channel 2 on the front panel for the EL34's, or do I have to connect the cab to the 'main output' of Channel 2 first? (don't want to switch to channel 2 if there's supposed to be a speaker load there)

Thanks guys,
Buck

Bucksears said:
Hi,
I just got a used RT2/50 a couple of weeks ago to run with my Egnater M4. Since the PDF manual for the RT2/50 is a bit sparse on details (or pics, for that matter), I have a couple of questions some of you might be able to fill me in on.

1) How are you M4 (or RM) guys setting your volume controls? I have the volume on the module, the master volume on the M4, and the volume on the power amp. Not sure what the SOP is for a separate preamp & poweramp since this is the first time I've used a rig like this.

2) Fan noise: has anyone switched out the fans on these for something quieter? Seriously, between the fan on the M4 and the louder one on the RT2/50, they are bit much. It's not ball-bearing noise, it's just the airflow.

3) On the RT2/50: if I'm just using one cab, and I connect that to the 'main output' of Channel 1 (set to 'switching' instead of 'stereo'), can I effectively switch to Channel 2 on the front panel for the EL34's, or do I have to connect the cab to the 'main output' of Channel 2 first? (don't want to switch to channel 2 if there's supposed to be a speaker load there)

Thanks guys,
Buck

Quick awnser on 3:
You can leave the cab in the channel 1 "use first" output.
The RT2/50 can then switch to the other channel. It will take care of the load. ;)

I'll awnser on the other ones when I have more time.

Thanks guys.

Had to take it from an IT perspective on the fans......cracked open the M4 and RT2/50, took out the case fans and looked up the specs for each model.
The one in the RT2/50 has a noise level of 38db(!!!!) and the one in the M4 is around 28db. Ordered a couple that have comparable airflow (cfm) and around 14db each. Should be here on Friday, so I'll replace them over the weekend. I'll report back when that's done.

Oh, and the RT2/50 I got had a quad of JJ 6L6s, no EL34s. Weird since channel 1 was much darker than channel 2; preamp tube need replacing, maybe? No tube layout in the RT2/50 manual......

Bucksears said:
Thanks guys.

Had to take it from an IT perspective on the fans......cracked open the M4 and RT2/50, took out the case fans and looked up the specs for each model.
The one in the RT2/50 has a noise level of 38db(!!!!) and the one in the M4 is around 28db. Ordered a couple that have comparable airflow (cfm) and around 14db each. Should be here on Friday, so I'll replace them over the weekend. I'll report back when that's done.

Oh, and the RT2/50 I got had a quad of JJ 6L6s, no EL34s. Weird since channel 1 was much darker than channel 2; preamp tube need replacing, maybe? No tube layout in the RT2/50 manual......
Preamp tubes ;)
The middle is the driver, outer two are PI's for the two channels.
I forgot which channel is left or right, easy way to check: turn down one bias to 0 and see which channel makes no sound. ;)

Can you tell me the CFM for the fans?

I have a led fan in the RM4 now haha. Looked cool when it still had a few open holes, useless now that it's filled and racked.
I'd really like to get it down as low as possible.
Although maintaining the airflow is **** important, especially with the RT2/50, that thing gets unbelievably hot even with the loud fan! :shock:
I'm thinking of cutting some air holes in the top of the rack case, that should relieve some of the cooking air in there..
Maybe one in the side as well to deliver fresh air to the fan.

I'll have to keep an eye on structural integrity, otherwise it'll suddenly be very well ventilated ;) :lol:

m0jo said:
Preamp tubes ;)
I forgot which channel is left or right, easy way to check: turn down one bias to 0 and see which channel makes no sound. ;)

Thanks - I'll see about swapping out the driver tube as well.
Looking at the power tubes from the back, from left to right: the left two are channel 2, the right two are channel 1.

m0jo said:

32CFM @ 14db/A

The existing fan puts out 46 CFM (according to specs), so I might need to find something faster if this one doesn't work out; if the sound is awesome, I'll consider drilling holes in the opposite side of the case.
Trying to understand what gets so hot in there since all of the tubes are outside of the case; we'll see.

Bucksears said:
m0jo said:
Preamp tubes ;)

Thanks - I'll see about swapping out the driver tube as well.
Looking at the power tubes from the back, from left to right: the left two are channel 2, the right two are channel 1.

m0jo said:

32CFM @ 14db/A

The existing fan puts out 46 CFM (according to specs), so I might need to find something faster if this one doesn't work out; if the sound is awesome, I'll consider drilling holes in the opposite side of the case.
Trying to understand what gets so hot in there since all of the tubes are outside of the case; we'll see.
3 transformers? And the entire circuit vor the poweramp is in the middle of the thing as well.
Also rmilbeck is correct: the entire top metal plate distributes the heat of the powertubes.
So they might be outside, but they still heat it up considerably.

The fans are both 80mm right?
EDIT: yeah you said that, thanks! ;)

Well, the funny thing is, I actually found a thread out on the interwebz where some other guy looked up the specs on the existing RT2/50 fan, replaced it with a different fan that I had seen but didn't buy (Noctua 80mm 1800).
He said that worked out great, so I'm considering that one now.

Question 1:
I have found it best to run the module volumes from noon to 2 or 3 oclock depending on module volume, leveling out the volume across all modules (or boost for lead channel). Then run the RM4 between 10 oclock & noon. Then the poweramp volume to taste or room size.

Hamner1 said:
Question 1:
I have found it best to run the module volumes from noon to 2 or 3 oclock depending on module volume, leveling out the volume across all modules (or boost for lead channel). Then run the RM4 between 10 oclock & noon. Then the poweramp volume to taste or room size.
Actually, I run it the other way around ;)

Modules at 10 - 12 and master at 3 to full.

Some modules really change voice at different volume settings.
My Salvado for instance sounds way better higher up, but the Mash-all+ doens't sound much different.

Really you just need to try it out for yourself ;)

m0jo said:
Hamner1 said:
Question 1:
Actually, I run it the other way around ;)

Modules at 10 - 12 and master at 3 to full.

Some modules really change voice at different volume settings.
My Salvado for instance sounds way better higher up, but the Mash-all+ doens't sound much different.
I keep my modules down a bit so they don't hit the FX processors too hard.. (clean especially).

Really you just need to try it out for yourself ;)

Quick update:
I just replaced the cooling fans in the M4 and the RT2/50 with Silenx 80mm fans; DRASTICALLY reduced the noise in the RT2/50 because I have one with a thermistor to adjust fan speed with temp. The one in the M4 seems a little quieter.

Bucksears said:
Quick update:
I just replaced the cooling fans in the M4 and the RT2/50 with Silenx 80mm fans; DRASTICALLY reduced the noise in the RT2/50 because I have one with a thermistor to adjust fan speed with temp. The one in the M4 seems a little quieter.
I'm still wondering if 32 CFM is enough.. of course they overspec it a bit in the factory, but still.
No problems yet?

Edit:
SilenX also sells 38CMF @ 11dB fans here, I'm going to go for that one :)
22 dB difference.. you'll hear that! (or rather.. won't haha)

In the studio last sunday I was kinda embarrassed by the noise coming out of the poweramp..
It's total overkill, it if gets too hot they could've also put 2 fans in and charged 5 bucks more..

m0jo said:
Bucksears said:
Quick update:
I'm still wondering if 32 CFM is enough.. of course they overspec it a bit in the factory, but still.
No problems yet?

Edit:
SilenX also sells 38CMF @ 11dB fans here, I'm going to go for that one :)
22 dB difference.. you'll hear that! (or rather.. won't haha)

In the studio last sunday I was kinda embarrassed by the noise coming out of the poweramp..
It's total overkill, it if gets too hot they could've also put 2 fans in and charged 5 bucks more..

Shinozoku has put a new fan in his RM100 some kind of Zalman I believe. I am wondering for those who have tried the RM100 and the RM4/RT2/50 how do the fans compare. I just got my RM100 and have not hand the time nor funds to replace my fan, but it is monstrously loud. I can hear it from my stairs, and come recording time I am worried about it effecting my cleans. nice warm clean tone and whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Anyway, Thanks.

Peace!
Wants a helicopter hat from Mario

Well, my Zalman is still pretty noisy without the resistor inline with the hot. I would imagine that the lowered speed drastically lowers the effectiveness of the fan. I should check the other specs on it... Might even see if I could install a second fan in the head. Maybe like said before, two running at half speed will be adequate ;)

Latest posts