Safe to use RM22 in "silent" mode without speaker?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bduersch

Reaction score
I guess the subject pretty well sums it up... I want to use the RM22 for a scaled down gig by running the XLR out to the PA and having no guitar cabs on stage. Since it's technically on "standby", does it cause any damage to the power section to be in standby without a load?

(The sooner the better on this one... last minute idea for a gig tonight :) )

Thanks,
--B

Yeah I am curious about this too because I have my first RM22 on its way to me. The manual is pure crap because it is combined for the RM20 which clearly states "Silent" on its switch. From the manual: "Silent Mode sends amp signal to XLR output and mutes speaker outputs- The amp can work standalone without speaker hooked up (Automatic when no external speaker connected on Head versions) Standby Mode - amp is powered but no output- Leave in this mode when powering on and off".

I think that means that the "standby" switch on the head works just like the "silent" switch on the RM20, i.e. it outputs to the XLR jack when the head detects that no speaker cables are inserted. The other way to interpret that is when the switch is in the "play" position and no speaker cables are inserted, the head automatically goes into "Silent" mode. That could be an expensive experiment.

The weird thing is if you look at the older pictures of the RM22 the switch is labeled "silent" and "live", but the newer pics clearly have an attached label over the switch that has "standby" and "play" positions.

I'll have to fire up the RM20 and see how the "silent" mode works exactly....check and see if the power tubes are glowing or it is in preamp mode only.

DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_423973.001_black_front.jpg

big_rm22.jpg

Oddly enough, the two positions on my RM22 are SILENT and PLAY (not STANDBY and PLAY as shown in the picture).

Based on what you copied from the manual, it sounds like it is safe to use without a speaker in SILENT mode.

--B

If the amp is sending signal to the power tubes without a load it can damage the amp. That's from my understanding of how tubes work. On most guitar amps if the amp is on standby only the heaters on the tubes are getting power.

I built an attenuator/dummy load to use with my amp. Dummy loads are so easy my 5 yr old could built one! You can even put a line out on the dummy load so you get the coloration of the power amp as well.

parts https://amptechtools.powweb.com/truload.htm