What power amps are folks using with their M4 (RM4) rigs?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bduersch

Reaction score
Aah... I've been bitten by the modular bug once again! I sold off my MTS gear a few months ago only to find myself jonesin' for M4 rig.

Anyway, I wanted to do a quick check-in to see what power amps folks are using with their M4 rigs, and if you've tried multiple power amps, why you ended up with the one you did.

A few power amps I've owned to date:
- Randall RT2/50 - loved the sound, loved the versatility & features (bias points, MIDI switching)
- Mesa 2:90 - again, loved the sound & flexibility (deep/modern/half drive voicings), disliked the weight and the cost of re-tubing one
- Carvin TS100 - good value, but sounded thin in comparison to the above (perhaps better tubes would've helped)

I'd like to see what you've all got to say about the power amps you've been using...

Thanks!
--B

The VHT 2:50:2 is a popular high-end poweramp. Ive heard nothing but good things about it.

-Matt

I've A/B'd the VHT 2/50/2 and the 2/90/2...I kept the 2/50/2 and sold off the 2/90/2...thought the tone from the 2/50/2 was killin.

I've heard great things about the Randall RT250, but never tried it...if I was going to get one I'd get it thru Bruce and have him mod it for best possible tone.

I'm using a Peavey Classic 60 right now, and am really enjoying the sounds. I can't afford a VHT, and probably shouldn't compare them either, its cheaper to stay in the dark about that one. I have run the RM4 into a Crate Powerblock as well, it is surprisingly decent. In your face, and pretty tight.

photios,

Do you play modern metal or hard rock styles at all? I'm just asking to see if that is why you stuck with the 2/50/2 rather than the 2/90/2 (which I hear is more suited to modern stuff where as the 2/50/2 Covers Classic Tones Better).

Abomb,

I'm in an ACDC tribute band...I just think the EL34 based 2/50/2 gets a lot closer to an authentic plexi tone with the SL module than the 2/90/2...I agree that I think the 2/90/2 for heavy metal or progressive modern rock would be a good fit...still, the EL34's are great...a lot of hard rockers are using EL34 based amps...I think they have a tad more soul and raunchiness than the KT88's. Either amp is a winner though...VHT power amps are awesome.

ABomb, I don't think the 2/50/2 is only suited towards more classic music. I play metal/hard rock for the most part and I liked the 2/50/2 more than the 2/90/2 myself! :wink:

Also, some others that weren't mentioned (even thought you said 2:90) were the Mesa 20/20 and the 2:50 I've heard were good as well! :) Hope that helps!

photios said:
I've A/B'd the VHT 2/50/2 and the 2/90/2...I kept the 2/50/2 and sold off the 2/90/2...thought the tone from the 2/50/2 was killin.

I've heard great things about the Randall RT250, but never tried it...if I was going to get one I'd get it thru Bruce and have him mod it for best possible tone.

I did exactly the same thing!

The 2/90/2 has enough power to cause nerve damage. It is a better amp for the heavier, saturated tones whereas the 2/50/2 is better for more classic tones to my ears. I played a gig last night with HWM using my 2/50/2 at about 10:00, my M4 master at 12:00 and the individual chan. volumes at or slightly over 12:00. This was into one of my Earcandy 2x12 cabs at a time. It is more than enough volume! Great tone.

The VHT's seem to be getting a lot of love--talked to Frank today and he said top picks for the M4 seemed to be VHT's, Randall, and Mesas in that order.

I'll admit, the 2/50/2 is pretty tempting since each side can be individually biased for 6L6's/EL34's (no fancy MIDI switching, tho).

Good 2 know about the Crate Powerblock, too... I picked one up on GC closeout for $79 just for backup purposes. Though something feels a bit "not right" about running a $2000 pre through a $80 power amp. The "tube police" would run me out of town.

--B

bduersch said:
...Anyway, I wanted to do a quick check-in to see what power amps folks are using with their M4 rigs, and if you've tried multiple power amps, why you ended up with the one you did...

Precisely the question I have. A M4 is in my near future, and I was looking at power amps for it. Prior to finding this thread, my own research had led me to the VHT's. There's only one thing stopping me: $$$$. Rather than admit defeat, I was looking around for any used stuff and came across a 1998 VHT 2100, (Twenty One Hundred.) The thing is, the guy says to make an offer and I haven't a clue what one might be worth. I know next to nothing about the 2100, and can find out even less. About all I have been able to learn is that if you want one, it's a custom shop deal, it goes for $2995.00 new, and they don't recommend using any tubes other than EL34's.

I'm not trying to hijack bduersch's thread because I'm hoping that this might be of interest to all. I already have a Marshall TSL100 and I love it, but I'm looking to broaden the range of tones available to me by adding the M4 and power amp to my kit, along with a G-System or, perhaps, an Eventide, etc. I'll probably run the TSL "dry" and the M4 as the "wet." I had hoped to have the ability to run 6L6's or KT88's in the power amp to further expand the possibilities.

Hopefully, someone here has some experience with the VHT 2100 and can share it.

Thanks.

Go ahead... hijack away :)

Don't think I've ever heard a bad thing about VHT power amps, but one thing to consider... I'm assuming a 2100 has two one-hundred watt channels? So that'd be eight EL34's? Just keep in mind that it will cost an arm & a leg to re-tube someday. That's the main reason I'm not considering a Mesa 2:90 again... great sounding amp, but expensive to maintain. Plus, there's the practical realization... 180 watts of Mesa power was far more than I ever needed.

--B

bduersch said:
...but one thing to consider... I'm assuming a 2100 has two one-hundred watt channels? So that'd be eight EL34's? Just keep in mind that it will cost an arm & a leg to re-tube someday...

Yeah, I was actually hoping to use that fact as a dickering tool! You know, show the price of a matched quad, (especially if I can find a set of NOS Mullards or Bugle Boys!:mrgreen:) and then double that price for two sets of quads.

bduersch said:
...Plus, there's the practical realization... 180 watts of Mesa power was far more than I ever needed...

Another bargaining chip; I was actually looking at the VHT 2150, (Twenty One Fifty,) because I though it would be a better match, power-wise, for my TSL100 but, if I can get a good enough price, I'll just get a couple more Hotplates! Plus, if I'm not mistaken, the 2100 can be run at half-power.

Thanks for the reply, bduersch. Anybody know what might be a decent price for a 2100 :?:

Not to ruin the dream bduersch, but just wanted to give you a heads up. I remember someone talking to Steve and he honestly didn't say he liked the tone of the 6L6's with the 2/50/2. If Steve say he didn't like it, I have a feeling it might not be that great if you use one side on 6L6's. The nice thing is that you can try and see if you like it or not. :wink: I personally loved the sound of the 2/50/2 with EL-34s so try that first. :D

Good 2 know... I did see some "blackface" 6L6-loaded 2/50/2 model floating around on the net... looks pretty rare. I'm guessing it's specifically voiced for 6L6's and the stock (silver) 2/50/2 is voiced for EL34's.

If that's the case, I may end up going back to the Randall RT2/50, since it was definitely no slouch in the tone department, and performance was quite good/consistent with both 6L6's and EL34's. Plus I dig the ability to easy re-bias on the fly if I blow a tube at a gig, which seems more difficult with the VHT.

--B

guitarguy510 said:
Not to ruin the dream bduersch, but just wanted to give you a heads up. I remember someone talking to Steve and he honestly didn't say he liked the tone of the 6L6's with the 2/50/2. If Steve say he didn't like it, I have a feeling it might not be that great if you use one side on 6L6's. The nice thing is that you can try and see if you like it or not. :wink: I personally loved the sound of the 2/50/2 with EL-34s so try that first. :D

I can confirm this is the latest word from VHT. The old 2/50/2 had the switch for 6L6s and the new ones do not for this reason.

Well, looks like it'll be the VHT 2/50/2 with the M4... I ended up picking a used one up tonight. Maybe I don't get my 6L6/EL34 switching, but the Class A/Class AB switching could be kinda cool.

I also picked up a used G-Force for effects... I've been on the waitlist for the Fractal Audio Axe-FX for a while and had been eyeing some Eventide units, too, but thought the G-Force was worth a shot since I've always thought the G-Major sounded good & was easy to program.

Now I just need to pick myself up a MIDI controller and I'll be ready to go!

--B