Recommend some EL34s for RM50B combo....

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad

Reaction score
I own an RM50B combo and still have the factory 6L6 tubes installed. I just got an SL+ module and want to try some Marshall-y tubes. I also run a Blackface module.

What EL34s would you recommend for that combination? I want a decent clean sound to work with the Blackface. Also, the tubes need to be fairly durable tube since this is a combo. I like a nice, tight attack and decent low end. I'd like something that is kind of a hybrid between traditional EL34 and 6L6 tubes. I'm thinking maybe E34L?

Or do you have any other tube recommendations?

I like the E34L's-a bit more headroom than a standard EL34. You may want to try KT77 or KT88 tubes. They are more of a cross between an EL34 and 6L6.

I dont have a MOD50, but for EL34 tubes, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Ruby tubes EL34BSTR...very complex mids, sparkly highs and a really big low end (this a big bottle tube that gives more lows)...very snappy, crunchy tube...I just think it sounds awesome in every amp I've ever tried. FWIW, I find the GT EL34's just sound a bit sterile and 2 dimensional to my ear. The JJ KT77's are really, really nice, but not as nice as the EL34BSTR's IMO. BTW, Tung Sol preamp tubes rock.

Late response here, but I've been running Ruby EL34BSTR's in my RM50B for over a month now and they indeed are killer tubes....they even do pretty well with clean sounds. Thanks, photios!

As soon as I heard the KT77..I gave up on a straight EL34..and I tried Ruby, Mesa, Svet Winged C and JJ.