Pod HD500 in 4cm with MTS settings?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottro123

Reaction score
OK, so I broke down and bought a pod HD500 a couple of weeks ago and it's such a fun toy. So far, I've been playing with the full modeling section, but I'm jonesing for some real-tube 'amp in the room' sounds so I want to integrate it with my RM 50.

I'd like to use the 4-cable method:
-Guitar into HD500
-HD500 FX loop out to RM50 input
-RM50 Serial FX Out into HD500 FX loop Return
-HD500 out to RM50 FX Return

I'd like to run some boosts & wah in front of the RM50, with time-based effects after the preamp. I'd also like to toy with some of the Line6 preamps (bypass the RM50 modules) to pull off some of the modern sounds that I don't get from my JFaith modded Tweed & Plexi modules.

I was going to start with the tips and level settings in this post: http://www.grumpyrocker.co.uk/using-pod-hd500-in-a

Is anyone already doing this that can give me a starting point for level settings that work well with the MTS?

Thanks,
Scott

You want the level to the input of the amp (without any fx on) to be the same as your basic guitar level, so unity gain basically.

Simple idea: plug your guitar into the RM50 input on a clean channel, check out how your level is ( a light crunch should give you a clear "view" of how much is coming in), then plug through the HD500 and set it up at the same level. (recheck to see wether it is about correct).

I did this while connected to my DAW via the GSPs usb, so I could actually see the levels.
Maybe you could try the same with the HD500?

Well I gave it a quick go last night.

HD500 FX loop out into RM50 front end:
Patching from the HD500 FX loop into the front of the RM50 worked pretty well. I used a line-level signal with the output set to -7db's. The output was fairly close to the direct signal. The HD500 isn't completely transparent like this. You can hear some signal buffering in this setting - it sounds slightly scooped. The dynamics are still there and at the volumes I was playing it didn't necessarily seem worse or better, just different. The effects (wahs, overdrives) worked as they should and it was easy to dial in a good sound.

HD500 out to RM50 Parallel FX return (Bypassing RM50 preamp):
This configuration sounded quite good, but I could not get the HD output to match the RM50 preamps. The HD models were set to preamp only, I was running line level outputs and had the output mode to 'Combo power amp'. Cleaner sims simply did not have enough output to get the RM50 up to performance volumes. The HD amp output, master volume and mixer up full was only as loud as my tweed master at about 11:30.

I've read here that the RM effects loop is really hot, now I'm seeing this first hand. I think to make this work an external line booster of some sort would be required.

Anyone have ideas on what would be a good solution to boost the signal?

I didn't get to full 4cm. I'd really like to work out the level issues first. It's a shame, because I think the RM series makes a really appealing power-amp solution for a preamp modeler because it is the best tube amp I've heard at lower-volumes, and the power section EQ's really help tune the amp to the room and volume output.

Like with any MFX unit that can take line level, it is very easy to blow by the PAD on the unit. You have to watch clipping. This means the output level from your modules cannot be set too hot. Keep the level around 10:00 on them.

Set the HD500 1/4" out to "amp". That puts it at instrument level. Make sure you put the FX loop in your patch first or after your overdrives, but before any other effects and definitely before the amp model, if any.

Any HD500 amp model used should have NO CABINET selected, and you should only use the preamp of that model, otherwise you'll end up with phasing issues. The Randall power section adds it's own flavor to the models. I don't think you would want the power section of teh amp model to conflict with the amp's power section.

I look at the MTS as tube based modeling technology.

My favorite models on the HD are the Dr. Z, Gibtone, Divided By 13, Line 6 Elektrik, Fender Deluxe, Twin, JTM 45. The Elektrik is the 1.1 Uberschall and was a total mistake. They fixed the Uberschall in 1.2 but everyone hated the fix, so they brought it back. I think it's the best high gain model in the unit.

How is that working for you? I used the HD500 with 4cm in a Marshall dual reverb combo. sounded great until the amp died. I just purchased an RM50 combo to use with my avatar cab and 4cm. I think it will sound great.

btw. a very clean and neutral sounding non master volume tube amp will sound great with the HD using the guitar in of the amp provided there is plenty of headroom.. I have Gibson Mercury amp head and it sounds outstanding with the HD even with full amp sims. The distortions are crap, I wonder if they will be better with the Randall.

I am thinking with the Salvation H-Watt mod and the Line 6 for various effects through the series loop and stomp overdrive through the parallel loop if this wouldn't be a great sound.

would love to know your experience

Set the output to line, since the mts loop is +4 line level. Also take note that the hd500 has variable input impedance, so it can drastically affect the tone of your guitar when compared to the mts rig. I usually use 1meg ohm.

I have used the Line 6 M13 in the 4CM with my RM100 and modules with great results. It doesn't seem to suck tone/volume. The M13 is at instrument level I believe so clipping isn't an issue. I have also used an Axe FX Ultra in 4CM with the RM100 and modules and it was a bit more of a challenge to get the send & return levels and overall output levels correct. I was either clipping or sucking volume. I believe the HD500 allows for either instrument or line level?

@ Detroit,

you were using the Parallel loop with your line6? as i understand the series will bypass the preamps when using 4cm

I use the serial loop, the M13 allows you to assign where each effect is in relationship to the preamp by using the effects loop on the M13. I do one effect pre and the other three post. It doesn't play well with the paralell effects loop.

so I finally got the amp, hooked up the HD500, sounded ok. Then I hooked up a 2 x 12. This sounds outstanding. The stock speaker in the RM50 combo sucks for sure. It's the same stock speaker in the JCM900 combo.