RT2/50 Questions

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s.fitzsimmons

Reaction score
New here and considering running a RT2/50 with my 11R and wondering if you guys would be able to help me out. Wasn't able to figure the following out from the manual:

* Since it's stereo, do you need separate loads attached to channel 1 & 2 regardless of which mode you're using??

* In switching mode you can run Channel 1 or 2, but can you run Channel 1 and 2?

* I'd be re wiring my 4x12 to separate jacks to accommodate the individual loads. Anyone do this and not happy with the sound?

* Anyone using a more complicated midi switch like the Behringer FCB1010 or Roland FC300 with a preamp and RT2/50 with any luck?

I love how the manual tells you that the main output is currently connected to your internal speakers. They really phoned it in on this one!

Thanks in advance for the responses!

* Since it's stereo, do you need separate loads attached to channel 1 & 2 regardless of which mode you're using??
I believe it does depend on which mode you're using. In STEREO mode, I would want a load attached to each channel's MAIN output (but I'll admit I don't know for sure if it's a requirement). In SWITCHING mode, you can (and in fact normally would) have just one cabinet attached to the channel A MAIN output. I'm basing this all on this excerpt from the RT2/50 manual:
  • Tip: Switching mode can also be used with multiple cabinets, so you can switch back and forth between cabinets. Simply connect to Channel 1 input of your RT2-50 from your guitar preamp, and in switching mode, run a speaker cable from both Channel 1 and Channel 2 outputs to different cabinets. This allows you to run different sounds out of different cabinets and switch between them.
* In switching mode you can run Channel 1 or 2, but can you run Channel 1 and 2?
I'm pretty sure the answer there is no. SWITCHING mode is just that - switching between Channel A and Channel B. However, running in STEREO mode would do just that - both channels at once; that is unless you were talking about running Channels A & B combined out of a single speaker output, in which case you cannot.

* I'd be re wiring my 4x12 to separate jacks to accommodate the individual loads. Anyone do this and not happy with the sound?
I did this to one of my 2x12's once, and ran it like that for months without issue. As long as your ears agree with it you should be fine . . .

I love how the manual tells you that the main output is currently connected to your internal speakers. They really phoned it in on this one!
Yeah, looks like they probably copied & pasted a little more from the RM100C manual than they should have :lol:.

Hugh is spot on. To Recap and toss in my $.02:

In switching you do not need a load on both channels, use channel 1.

In stereo you do need a load on both channels. You only need one input but both sides must be loaded.

In switching mode you can choose 1, 2, or off. Not both though. Although that would be a great idea.

I actually did that to a 412 and didn't like it. I got phase cancellation really bad. I would say to use 2 212's, which is what i do, and you would be happier. It has to do with how the air moves in the box but the general consensus, at least on the net, is that a stereo 412 doesn't work terribly well. Maybe if you put a divider between the speakers it would but now you need a woodworking shop.

And lastly, yes i used a TC Electronic G system as a midi controller and it worked flawlessly. Randall has a truly great midi implementation on the MTS stuff. Should work perfectly

Thanks for the response guys. Its cool to know that switching mode only requires one cab, but you can use two as well. That should be good enough for me.

After posting I remembered dividing a 4x12 years ago to run two heads with an A/B and didn't like the way it sounded.

I'll probably hit you up for some more info on the midi triggering the channels, I'll try to search the forum first, but if you want to throw some pointers my way I'd be obliged.

The more I read about this power amp, the more I think I'd like to pick one up. I have never had any use for a stereo power amp, and the switching implementation that allows you to run a single load and switch sides (and power tube types) at will sounds really cool. Has anybody else but Randall made a power amp like this?

Not to the best of my knowledge. I've yet to see another MIDI switchable amp that allows this level of versatility. I had one for ages and loved it. It just didn't fit into my new Mesa rig. But that's life.

Latest posts