RM50 combo/RM100 combo differences... help a newbie out?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For bedroom/band practice/all around jamming, which would you prefer?

• RM50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RM100

• Other (RM22, RM20, etc.)

• Total voters

Jgalvs

Reaction score
Hey forum, I'm new here. :)

Two weeks ago I stumbled across the Randall MTS series and really dig the whole concept behind these amps. You guys have a well kept secret indeed! :wink:

My band and I just began doing small gigs around town, and I would like to upgrade to either the RM50 or RM100 combo that I can use both around the house and at some venues.

Before you jump down my throat, I have read up on both... but I have come up short on a few points and would like to ask you knowledgeable owners:

(1) Ideally, I would like to achieve some good high gain tones at low volumes to keep the cops from busting down my door... Would I be safe in assuming that taking out a pair of tubes from a RM100 and just using a pair of 6v6s will sound the same as a RM50 with 6v6s? (around 20 watts?)

(2) If not, are the combos' voicings majorly different (not just with 6v6s, in general)? Right now I would just buy the 100 watt for the extra slot/MIDI control and be done with it, but I have heard from more than a few people that they prefer the sound of the RM50 over the RM100 for vague reasons (which is what keeps me at bay). The RM100's heaviness doesn't help it, either.

I know both amps can and will get plenty loud should I crank them, so I'm really just looking to get the most versatile setup possible. In any case, I'm considering swapping out the speaker(s) for the eminence maverick... a setup I know kc2eeb was pretty happy with.

Sorry for my rambling, and if this topic has already come up, feel free to shut me up and direct me to the thread :oops:

The extra slot and MIDI control are hard features to ignore, but the RM100 combo is the heaviest combo amp I've ever lifted! It's a beast. :shock:
I would think about getting an RM100 head and a 2x12 cab instead. This makes traveling with the amp much easier.
But, I've seen just stupid prices on RM50 combos recently. I have two of these and I love them. I used to be an MTS dealer so I've played every version of the MTS amps (except the RM80 and the RM22.) I don't recall ever thinking that the 50 watt sounded better then the 100 watt. Although I did like the sound of the heads and combos better than the rack gear. I have no idea why.
I think it comes down to: Do you really need 3 channels and MIDI control? That makes for a really kick *** system with lots of versatility. But if you think that would be over kill or don't want to spend the money for all of the extras, the RM50 absolutely rocks. It also has great tone at low volumes with 6L6s or EL34s. So you wouldn't HAVE to use 6V6s just for lower volume.
Best of luck,
Jace

the modules will produce the tones you want without the need for "power tube breakup", so don't worry about needing to keep either turned down and losing gain.
I have both.
If I were moving it around, THE RM50 COMBO BY A MILE. Under 60lbs, the RM100 is almost 80lbs.
If you get that, you'd better have it on the ground floor and install the casters on it.
That said, there are some NEW RM100C's on ebay around $500.

If it is sitting still, I like the 3 bays, I don't do midi.
But, I bought the RM50 pretty cheap JUST to take places.
I am a big strong guy, but up and down the stairs with 80lbs is ridiculous

Truthfully, I like the RM22, put that with a small 1x12 in a narrow combo, and it's a winner. 2 bays, each with boost, essentially a 4 channel amp. And 22 watts of tube power is pretty loud.

Well, I for one, really like the sound of the 100watt power section - I've had the 50 watters (both a combo and a head) - and just didn't like the 50 watt power section with anything - especially playing anything clean with a loud drummer.

Then again - I prefer "CLEAN" clean tones - break up cleans are good for somethings but not everything. The weight is a bit of an issue - but honestly its no heavier than the Vox AC30 combo I had, and much prefer the side handles on the RM100C - makes going up and down stairs with it much easier (as only using the top handle up and down is a REAL pain). I also didn't like the 1x12 format too much either - prefer the 2x12 sound (also more of a closed back cab with the 100).

I currently have the 100C for ease of carry (great for small shows where I need quick setup/tear down on stage) - yet still get the core of my big rig sound. Three slots and MIDI are just a great bonus. I also had a RM22, and while cool for home jamming - could never keep up the way I wanted it to sound with a drummer (mainly hard rock/metal type stuff) - it got too mushy - so, for me, the 100 watt power section is the only way to go - and for the tone difference I don't notice the 30 pound difference - until your loading out after a longer set at 2 am - but what can you do.

I can only comment on the rm50 combo. It is plenty with a drummer and the cleans are good almost full volume depending on what module you are using. I use a blackface but mostly as a pedal platform. I can't imagine needing more volume but it does break up quicker than a rm100. Some like it that way, some don't. I have played a 120 watt amp and the power coming out of it was awesome and felt great to play but I don't know how much of it I could really use. The best thing about the rm amps are the module volume the gain knob and the master volume really keep things under control better than most amps. Go for the 100 if you need big powerfull tone, if you want a little more sag and greasy tone the 50 is great. Had mine for7 years.

I appreciate your guys' input, and I think I'm going with the RM100.

Now... anyone happen to have one gathering dust that they're willing to sell to the new guy? :wink:

Jgalvs said:
I appreciate your guys' input, and I think I'm going with the RM100.

Now... anyone happen to have one gathering dust that they're willing to sell to the new guy? :wink:

Brand new one from Funky Munky, $500 (shipping included). You won't get a better deal on an amp than that. Check out ebay o call them directly. They may drop it even further if you deal with them directly outside ebay. Good luck.

EDIT: Sorry, not $500 any longer.

Brand new one from Funky Munky, $500 (shipping included). You won't get a better deal on an amp than that. Check out ebay o call them directly. They may drop it even further if you deal with them directly outside ebay. Good luck.

EDIT: Sorry, not $500 any longer.[/quote]

I emailed Jon over at Funky Munky, and he said he would let one go for $599, shipped.

So if anyone else is looking for a brand new combo at a reasonable price...

Whew.... I was able to get one at $500 shipped earlier this month. Love this heavy beast!

Latest posts