7 String suggestions?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcoR

Reaction score
After listening to a lot of MTS module clips and hearing 7 string guitars, I think I want a seven string.

Any suggestions on what I should look for?

I?m thinking used mid grade between $300 - $600ish. Although, I have a tendency to throw money at things I buy on the cheap and end up spending more than I would have if I just spent a little more up front.

Currently, I play modded strats with dual humbuckers; ones is loaded with motor city Afwayu?s and the other has Suhr DHS, The necks are C shaped with jumbo frets just for a little background as to where I?m coming from.

Thanks!

Hardtail or Floyd?

Preference on scale length?

The old MIJ Ibanez 7s are pretty nice for the money. The 7420/7620 are floating bridge, 7421/7621 are hardtails, and the 1077XL/2077XL are hardtail with a 27" scale length.

BigBrewtus said:
Check this place for affordable.
http://www.rondomusic.com/

It seems like the Agile get good reviews. Looks like I'd end up having to swap the pups though.

disk11 said:
Hardtail or Floyd?

Preference on scale length?

The old MIJ Ibanez 7s are pretty nice for the money. The 7420/7620 are floating bridge, 7421/7621 are hardtails, and the 1077XL/2077XL are hardtail with a 27" scale length.

I have a love hate relationship with Floyds but with 7 strings I think more hate. If the right deal came along on a guitar I think I'd dig, a Floyd probably wouldn't be a deal breaker.

I'm thinking a longer scale as I would intend to use this for deeper tunings.

I've never been a fan of Ibanez necks and the only 7 string I have played (a few years ago) kind of turned me off. Although lots of used ones on the bay right now.

kylendm said:
I have a LTD MH-417 coming in today. I'll let you know how it is. :)

So that's what it is! Multi-site stalking FTW :lol:

If you want longer scales, Rondo/Agile will probably be your best bet. Most inexpensive 7s are 25.5, though you may find a deal like the Loomis for a longer scale.

I've always thought a LTD SC-607B was cool, but the pickup placement may not be to your liking.

u cant go wrong with a schecter. all the models r good even the cheapest. i play a hellraiser n a c-7 standard i actually prefer the c-7 even though its cheaper

I gotta say I agree with everyone who suggested Schecter. I have a C-7 gold top with Rio Grande pickups in it and it is killer. The bang for the buck factor with Schecter is amazing. The Loomis model is absolutely killer, but the regular Hellraiser C-7 is cool too, but with different cosmetics. Get on Ebay and find one for less than $500 (more for Floyd versions usually). Shouldn't be too hard to find if you are patient. :)
How about this deal for $509 at GC
http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-SCHECTER-HELLRAISER-C7-7STR-GUITAR-BLK--776-AVAIL-082910-106015878-i1612716.gc?&source=4WWRWXGB
Not bad...

I LOOOOVVVEEEE my loomis, Im a lefty, so I had to custom order mine. Well worth it. I got the one with the original floyd.... so badass. I got the vampire satin finish it allows you to see the ash woodgrain. Great for metal!
IMG_0873.jpg

IMG_0872-1.jpg

707's r nice. they have a good gain and some decent grind. they tend to be on the low mid side eq wise but all guitars r different i'd imagine in an ash body they would be pretty balanced. in my hellraiser i switched it out for an 81-7. the mahoganey body needed something a little brighter. but the combonation of amp cab n guitar make a difference. they r good so dont worry either way. i hear good things about the x series but never tried em.blackouts r a good option too but r alot hotter than emg's

MarcoR said:
How are the EMG 707 pickups? They seem get mixed reviews.

The 707's are great in the loomis. Due to the ash/maple combo with the floyd. Great gain, well balanced tone for sure. They handle the low end of the extended scale very well.
-I also have emg 81X/85X in my padauk handmade explorer. They are the best sounding active pickup in that guitar I have ever heard. May be due to the fact the guitar weighs prob. 5 more lbs. than my les paul. Heavy. Also it is a string through body. with locking solid brass bridge. But the EMG X's have alot more headroom and let the modules of the MTS amps really shine and breathe.

I have an Ibanez RGD7321 and I play it more than I played my Carvin DC727.
It is a 26 1/2" scale which I feel should be the standard scale length for 7 strings. It is perfect, all the strings have so much definition, even at lower tunings. The only thing I want to do to mine is replace the pickups at some point. The stockers aren't terrible, but I know there are better options out there.

It does have a thinner neck than a Schecter but I think that is helpful on a wider neck anyways.

I'll propose the opposite as jay. Most 7ers recommend the longer length, but I found a cheap Gothic Epiphone LP 7 string 24 3/4 and it smokes, I love the LP length! Proper string gauge and pro setup can make any 7 length work.

I too like the stock pickups, but went with a complete rewiring, new pots, and BK pickups, it's a beast.

crankyrayhanky said:
I'll propose the opposite as jay. Most 7ers recommend the longer length, but I found a cheap Gothic Epiphone LP 7 string 24 3/4 and it smokes, I love the LP length! Proper string gauge and pro setup can make any 7 length work.

So you are dropping the tuning and the intonation is OK? I ask because for shits and giggles, I put 12-58s on one of my strats and tuned down to C and there was not enough adjustment on the bridge to get the intonation close.

I did send an offer to the guy with the Loomis on ebay; haven't heard back yet.

crankyrayhanky said:

I too like the stock pickups, but went with a complete rewiring, new pots, and BK pickups, it's a beast.

Oh, I totally agree, I happen to like the longer scale length. But I've played others with 24 3/4, and it's definitely fine as long as you use slightly heavier strings and get a good setup on it.

So I ended up getting a used Hellraiser C7 for $429 at Guitar Center. The only issues were a loose tone pot and a missing switch tip. The finish was flawless aside from being dusty. It had old strings and was set up poorly but all that's fixed now and is pretty much perfect.

I'm still getting used to it; the tone pros bridge seems to have the strings a little closer together than I'm used to and there a little flatter than I like.

Now I need a Mamba, Angle or XMG...

Oh yea, I demoed it through an Egnater Vengeance that I thought sound great!