RM100M vs. the Lynch Box

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At a clinic i attended mid last year george said that the Lynch Box had different transformers that were more aggressive sounding, he said he couldn't remember the name but they weren't mercury magnetics but maybe heyboer. If randall ever released it like that is doubtful, they would have done whatever they could to cut cost's. They used to ellude to the different transformer on their website but i notice this info has now changed.

Yes. They tried different transformers but George ended up liking the original RM100 transformers better. The only difference is the cosmetics.

How about the rack mountable RM4 in comparison!
Beside that It's modular are the RM100M vs. RM4 the same but the RM4 allows one more module and Watt's

Thanks for clearing this up for me :)

Not even close. The RM4 is only a preamp so you miss the entire power amp section.

Sorry about that, I meant both amp and preamp working together as one vs RM100M! :)

I'm not sure the RT2/50 power amp is a RM50 times 2. If you use a 100 watt power amp it will sound different because it's a different design. Racks and head/combos just sound different anyway.

If you ran a RM4 into the power section of the RM100 it should should sound similar.

Axeraven this may help... I got this directly from Randall on their site thru their contacts section ... their reply was very fast...

Hi Craig,

Other than the obviously cosmetics changes the RM100 and Lynch box electronics are basically identical other than the JJ E34L tubes, the metal power and standby toggle switches and large Jewel light. We did change one capacitor value in the power section to give the Lynch box a little softer low end for lead and solos, but that is it.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Doug

As you can see there are slight variations to the circuits that result in a tonal difference... however slight they may be.

hopefully this clarifies things for you and ultimatly helps you make your decision bro.

Khing

Hey I am wondering if any of you guys have directly A/B'd your lynch box with an RM100? These capacitor changes have me real intrigued. I had a lynch box on order for over 6 months here in aus and ended up cancelling because of constantly being let down with the promised delivery dates. A guy at one of the shops recently emailed me saying that the lynch box sounds much better than the std RM100 so i am jonesin again.

There is one on order form the shop where I got my LB... if/when it comes in... LOL I'll take it home for a weekend and compare... it's got me intrigued aswell.

Khing

that would be great khingpynn, the guy i spoke to said the lynch box 'has more guts & headroom' than the rm100, he has both in store so i guess he should know. I find it hard to believe that a single cap change in the output section would make such a difference. Although the E34L's might have more to do with it.
What sort of music are you playing on your lynch box? is the bottom end really tight?

With normal parts variances (like a lot of caps being +/- 5%) there is room for one RM100 to sound different from another RM100.....it could just be more component variances between that particular RM100 and Lynchbox rather than actual spec differences. That is just speculation, though.

Quote:
Hi Craig,

Other than the obviously cosmetics changes the RM100 and Lynch box electronics are basically identical other than the JJ E34L tubes, the metal power and standby toggle switches and large Jewel light. We did change one capacitor value in the power section to give the Lynch box a little softer low end for lead and solos, but that is it.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Doug

[/quote]

I wonder what he means when he says softer low end? i higher capacitor value for a spongier low end? or the opposite to lower the amount of bottom end getting through?

I wonder if RDMan can clarify this for us.

Rick, I can also ask Gerry, George's guitar tech or George that question in the dojo and if they don't mind, I'll post what they say here.

Craig's post of what Doug said is right, I was told that they were looking at the merc transformer but George liked the stock RM100 transformer at higher volumes. And of course there's the tubes and cosmetics as mentioned before...

I have both the Lynch box and the rack setup--the RM4 and the RT250 poweramp. I have not had all of the rack stuff in the rack since having the Lynchbox--the poweramp is sitting by itself in storage at the moment so I can't say anything in regards to doing any type of A/B comparison. Right now, I have just the Rm4 and a lexicon mx200 (I love the lexicon delay through the fx loop!) I've been running the RM4 through the LB power section for recording purposes. Anyway, what's great about the rack set up is that with the RM4, of course you have 4 modules instead of just three--but you can also have a lexicon mx200 like I have in there all wired up and ready to go ( and they are very reasonably priced) and as for the poweramp, it has two channels and you can run them together or just one at a time. One channel is EL34 powered and the other is 6L6 powered. I have a Genz Benz G flex 2 x 12 cab and it has both single and stereo inputs. I can connect to just the mono jack and run both channels through both speakers or I can choose either amp channel. I can also connect one side of the poweramp to one speaker and the other channel of the poweramp to other speaker via the stereo jacks and run stereo--with a slightly different tonal mix from the two different tube power sections. Lets say I want to play some blues, I can switch to just one 12 speaker in my cab with the 6L6 powersection and use a deluxe or tweed module and get that Fendery blues tone... I can also switch to the EL34 side when I want a Marshally tone--say with a Brown module or SL+. Or I can run in stereo--6L6 and EL34 at the same time--separate speakers. There are lots of tone combinations and cab configuration options with the rack set up. the rack set up--to me, is hands down the most convenient and most versatile setup. But I sure do dig the mojo of the Lynch box--the look of it and it is no doubt an elite amp.
I don't like to lug around 4 x 12's so I'm using the Genz Benz G Flex 2 x 12. I found out that I can get the Randall 2 x 12 covered in the Lynch color scheme at a reasonable price--really about the same price--green with gold piping and gold logos/Lynch logos... but it's not ported so I don't know how it would compare to the Genz cab which is the best closed back 2 x 12 out there IMO . I mentioned to the Randall rep I know that they ought to do a ported 2 x 12 and he pasted that info along. I got the idea that If enough people ask about it, I would not be surprised to see that happen. Randall seems pretty receptive to input from customers.

Caine said:
I mentioned to the Randall rep I know that they ought to do a ported 2 x 12 and he pasted that info along. I got the idea that If enough people ask about it, I would not be surprised to see that happen. Randall seems pretty receptive to input from customers.

I just got a new MTS 2X12 with V30s, they're ported? (you mean that half of the closed back can be open to get a half closed back,right?)
T.

[/quote]
I just got a new MTS 2X12 with V30s, they're ported? (you mean that half of the closed back can be open to get a half closed back,right?)
T.[/quote]

No, the MTS 2 x 12 isn't ported... I currently have a Genz Benz 2 x 12 and those are closed back, front ported and have really nice bottom end--sounds huge with the MTS gear. I had inquired about getting a MTS 2 x 12 cab covered in the green Lynch color scheme with gold piping and logos and the rep told me no problem and the price I was quoted from Brookdale music--it was about the same price or not much more then a regular 2 x 12. But the thing that has caused me to hold off on putting in an order is that I like the sound of my Genz Benz 2 x 12 so much--because of the design and mainly because of the ports -- it puts many 4 x 12's to shame. I can't imagine any other 2 x 12 out there sounding as "big" as the Genz Benz cab. So, I suggested to a Randall rep that they ought to consider making a closed back, front ported 2 x 12 and the rep passed that info along. I got the idea that it was something that would get serious consideration if there were a few more people asking about it. Randall does seem to cater to the metal crowd more--and that type of cab fits that demographic whereas Egnater supposedly caters more to the classic rock, blues, etc crowd.