RM4 phantom power to Ground Control Pro?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatSloane

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to the forum and the MTS thing.

I am getting tired of cycling through the modules with the channel button on the RM4. I am considering picking up a Ground Control Pro, and using it to select channels and patches on my TC G-Force.

I looked at the GCP manual online, but I am still confused about the phantom power issue. Can the RM4 or the G-Force power up the GCP through a 5 pin or 7 pin midi cable?

Would anybody recommend a different midi foot controller than the GCP?

Thanks.

I had an older ground control that also worked pretty well.
I just recently picked up a Behringer FCB1010 that is working awesomely but will need to be modded if I want to take the phantom power approach. FCB1010 can be had for about 140 new. I got a stellar deal on a new one for $50.

Thanks for the reply. Do you remember whether the GCP took phantom power from the RM4, and if so do I need a 5 pin or 7 pin midi cable?

Sorry for replying to myself.

I was thinking the Beringer stuff was was generally considered junk, but maybe the FCB1010 is the way to go?

It is nice that it is a bit cheaper.

Any opinions?

CatSloane said:
Thanks for the reply. Do you remember whether the GCP took phantom power from the RM4, and if so do I need a 5 pin or 7 pin midi cable?

I know you will need a 7-pin MIDI cable for phantom power. I always went with an RF4 foot switch and a 4CM with my pedal board. I run a fairly simple rig.

CatSloane said:
I looked at the GCP manual online, but I am still confused about the phantom power issue. Can the RM4 or the G-Force power up the GCP through a 5 pin or 7 pin midi cable?

The RM4 can pwer the GCP through a 7 pin cable, but I don't remember if I had to set the dipswitches differently for that
(don't think I did, since I didn't want to remove all those screws just to set the midi channel)

The GCP
Pro: good switches, not "easy to break switches"
Cons: Physically to large for small stage areas
not cheap
layout causes you to step over certain switches to activate others
(not always so easy)

The Behringer:
Cons heavy
Operating system sucks, requiring the newer after-market UNO chip....to correct for behringer who never made the unit work right in the first place
physically large
Pros:cheap

Just sharing some details
GtrGeorge

PS: regarding power...alot of desgn snafus abound. Every brand doing it there way. Some controlers to consider Control 7 by Digitech, The old Ground Control, The Rocktron midi mate, if you have more money ..there are some very good units but all are above $400-500 USD range.