OK.. WHERE do I find fuses for the RT2/50?????

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuSkoolTone

Reaction score
Says it all in the title. The fuses in the front panel next to the bias test points. I figured the local radio shack would have them (those that still stock "parts"). They had a fuse that met the specs, but when I took the fuse out I had forgotten how incredibly SMALL they are!

WHERE can I get these without having to hunt them down on the internet? The shipping will cost MORE than the fuses!

Those are standard Euro 5mm x 20mm fuses. Radio Shacks here have them. Let me know if you are really stuck. I could send you a few but I would prefer you find them locally.

Egnater

Hey,

Thanks Bruce. The smallest amperage 5x20mm fuses radio shack carries now are the 315ma fuses. (Checked their website) I already have some of them, but they are a bit higher than the 250ma rating the amp has and that makes me nervous to use them.

I ended up getting 1 1/4" x 1/4" 250ma fuses but had forgotten it uses the euro size. So I can't use them either.

In short Radio shack is USELESS these days (Don't get me started on the "Direction" their business has taken the last couple of years) and there's no where local to find these fuses.

I also checked some local auto parts stores, but no dice.

Any place else I should look?

The .315A are fine in place of the .250A. There are places like Digikey Electronics and Mouser Electronics that carry all that kind of electronic stuff also. In fact we found that certain EL34 tubes actually draw very near or even a bit over .250A when driven into severe clipping/distortion (which of course we all like to do) so the slighlty higher rated fuse is fine. We ship our MOD50 and MOD100 amps with .400A now. Radio Shack fuses are fine.

bruce egnater said:
The .315A are fine in place of the .250A. There are places like Digikey Electronics and Mouser Electronics that carry all that kind of electronic stuff also. In fact we found that certain EL34 tubes actually draw very near or even a bit over .250A when driven into severe clipping/distortion (which of course we all like to do) so the slighlty higher rated fuse is fine. We ship our MOD50 and MOD100 amps with .400A now. Radio Shack fuses are fine.

Thanks Bruce. When I talked to Randall support about it awhile ago, they erred on the side of caution and to get the 250ma. Coming from the horse's mouth is very reassuring.

Thanks again!

Ok got the 315 ma's. Oddly the first one I put in blew, but since then it's been stable.

Thanks again. Now I can use my 6L6 side again, and now watch to see if I keep blowing fuses to see if there's a problem with the tubes and not just a fluke of heavy draw.

Hey NuSkoolTone, Have ya had any problems since?
How is it now? :D

I just put my Clean Mod in and flipped the switch out of standby and Poof the 1st tube fuse blew which scared the (*^& out of me!
I switched the damaged fuse out and then it was fine after that But because the fuse blew after I switched into Play mode is what Freaked me out! I thought that I had seen the first tube flash but I'm not hearing any odd noses and it doesn't looked burnt or discolored and I even tested the JJ E34L tube that flashed and it still biased at 40, however its not as bright as the rest ( barly noticeable ) but so for that one odd time I cant account for my blown fuse! Actually its the first fuse that I have ever had that has blown in any of my amps so I must of just got lucky but I think I'm going to have to get the more tolerable fuses such as Bruce Recommended! I hope yours is doing fine now days!

AXERAVEN said:
Hey NuSkoolTone, Have ya had any problems since?
How is it now? :D

Hey, it worked fine for awhile and the fuse went again on one tube, so I'm assuming something's up with the tubes. I'll have to throw some new ones in there and see how it goes.

Thanks Bruce for posting a substitute... I blew two of the outside tube fuses on my Lynch Box two nights ago and could find the 350ma only at Radio Shack/Circuit City.
I am soarcing the fuses elswhere in Calgary I'll post on local availablity again.

Bruce... why are we blowing so many fuses?

I've ran my Soldano HR50 since 93, blew two fuses in that time... once was an early bias adjustment error... dialed it to hot while leaning over the open head with my guitar plugged into it and volumn turned up... feedback... yeah I learned that one quick... LOL. Other time was a cracked envelope on a power amp tube... poof.
Ran my Marshall 1983 JCM 800 till last year when I sold it cannot recall ever blowing a fuse.
Been running my Koch now for 4 years... never blew a fuse... I've had atleast 15 different sets of power amp tubes in that thing.

What's up Bruce?

Is it just a bad batch of tubes or what? I find the 250ma rating a little small. What about using 400ma or 500 ma???

Thanks
Khing