Driver, buffer and summing valves - impact on sound?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joey_truelove

Reaction score
Dales district, Sweden - heartland of Swedish folk
From what has been discussed the valves on the modules is where you shape your tone, but what about the "non-modular valves"? I know I could basically use any 12A?7/ ECC8? standard valve in these positions but there are so many to choose from and I don't think I would put a costy NOS in any of these postions.

If you per se would like to run Marshall modules and Fender modules in the same amp, on which criteria do you choose valves for the positions above? I hear the AY, AU and AT valves are recommended by manufacturers... I think I will have to use one or both of the loops so V3 will be an active part in the signalpath.

Cheers!

(in case you want to know, I use an M4 rack unit)

I use a Groove Tubes 12AX7A M (the Mullard copy) at the input stage of the amp. It is not expensive and sounds good. I always like to just play around and put whatever in there till I hear something I like. Actually I think it makes good sense to put a NOS there. It is the one tube that will affect the entire sound of all the modules, so it is an important one. No rules, have fun, & you can't cause a problem.

Cheers, mate! I was looking into the GT 12AX7M so I know which one you mean, though I haven't tried it and it's not available here. I know it even comes cryohardened, the AX7M.

I thought I'd ask for second oppinions since Fenders have/ had 12AT7 or AY valves/ tubes in the input stage and these lower gain valves might work better in the summing and buffering pos. Ideas?

Absolutely! I got an EI in my input stage in the back of the RM4. Haven't messed with the FX loop tubes though.

Outside of Power tubes, haven't messed with the other tubes in my RT2/50

My mod100 has GE Jan 5751 in it. Came that way. I assume they are NOS, but not sure. At any rate, they sound good.

I have a Tung Sol 12ax7 on v1. I think It sounds much warmer/smoother than the EH it replaced. I really dig it!

NuSkoolTone said:
joey_truelove said:
NuSkoolTone said:
Absolutely! I got an EI in my input stage in the back of the RM4. Haven't messed with the FX loop tubes though.

Outside of Power tubes, haven't messed with the other tubes in my RT2/50
An EI of which sort? :wink:

12ax7 long silver plate
Cheers mate!