Best poweramp for RM4

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ulf

Reaction score
I wanted to start a thread where we all can share option on what's the best poweramp for a Randall RM4. Possibly, this has been covered elsewhere but I'll try and make a complete overview.

So far, the best poweramps I have tried with my RM4 where
a. the Rivera Hammer 320 (6550) - very good, very versatile
b. a VHT 2150 (6550) - very good
c. a Marshall 9200 (6L6)

the one's that didn't convince me were:
d. a MB 2:90 (6L6)
e. a MB Coliseum 300 (6L6)
f. a MB Strategy 500 (all 6L6)
g. Marshall 9005 (EL34)

I am mainly refering to high gain sounds here. For my initial tests I used a 4x12 with GT-75s in it.
Surprise: The mighty Strategy 500 did sound flat in comaprsion to a and b. With its Deep Extend Switch it was was almost boomy. The added bass was only fine for cleans.
It is a pity because it the power amp that offers the most valve power in a small format (3 RU)

I also have to admit that I haven't yet tried a, b, e and f at rehearsal levels which might change the situation completely.

I also have to add that a Diezel Hagen and a Diezel Herbert used as a power amp have both matched the VHT in comparision. Big bass, modern sound but still controlled.

Randall RT2/50 ;)
Not trying to troll, this is actually a "perfect" match. For me that is.

"The best" will depend on your tastes and tones though. What do you consider best?

Btw, the most power is useless in itself. Headroom is an important thing to the tone though. I like 50 watters because of the response and the balance between headroom and overdrive.

IMHO, the VHT 2|90|2 was hands down the best power amp paired with the RM4 or M4. Good clean power that does not color the sound with tons of head room. For me, that's where my modded MTS modules shined. YMMV. For the record KT88s just don't work the same in the head. I do like a pair of KT88s along with EL34s, but that's as far as I'd go with that.

I tried a Peavey Classic power amp/.....and it sounded anemic to my ears.
I tried a rt 2/50 with 6l6s and el34s in it(stock) and it sounded so good that I had to buy it.
Since then I tried a Marshall 8008 (Solid State) power amp...and it wasnt that great,imho.
So I'm sticking with the rt 2/50...and for the price, and versatilty, I don't think it can be beat.

GtrGeorge

The RT2/50 is hard to beat with the midi switchable tube selections. I'm using mine with EL34 and 6L6s and I love the random combinations of power tubes with modules along with the usual expected combinations. I will use the RT2/50 as the dry power in a W/D/W set up with a Matrix GT1000FX for the wet speakers. Sick!

m0jo said:
Randall RT2/50 ;)
"The best" will depend on your tastes and tones though. What do you consider best?

I disagree here:
There are some aspects in amplification that I guess can be judged quite objectively. Sure, there is a sound factor that makes one like EL34s, 6L6s or KT88s.
However, an amp can sound tighter, can deliver more or deeper bass, more level etc.

On top of this, I find that certain preamp/poweramp combination do work well, others don't.
Seems VHT and a Randall 2:50 is a save bet. However, does anyone here downtune using the 2:50 poweramp? Does it still deliver?

I really wanna try the rt2/50.
I have been really Impressed with the power section of my rm100. A friend let me borrow his engl e570 and it sounded good thru my Mesa 2:90. For the heck of it I decided to run it thru the power section of my Randall, which has a pair of 6l6 and a pair of 6550.
It meshed with that power section so well. I liked the way it sounded way better than with the Mesa. That's saying a lot cause I have nothing but praise for the Mesa 2:90.
So i can imagine that the Randall would be one of the best matches for the m4/rm4.

Yep, into the RM4, out from the RM4 to the series return of the RM50 to use in place of
the modules in the RM50.
Or.......
Using Bruce's effect loop level matching device,.....
use the modules in the RM50 as "boost pedals" series out to Bruce's matchbox, bring the level down to inst level or higher, into the inst input of the RM4, adjusting level to "boost" the modules in the RM4, back into series return in the RM50.
Or......
Parallel out to the RM4 through the matchbox, pick your module in the RM4,
out from the RM4, through the matchbox, into parallel return in the RM50 and play through 2 modules at once.

Anyone try a good solid state power amp like a Matrix alone? Wondering how it does with distortion.

I would say be extra cautious when selecting a solid state power amp as a marriage with a tube pre-amp could be a tough gap to bridge...

I say anything tube is almost always gonna be a better match...And RT2/50 gets my vote too...I know there are other great choices but I LOVE my RT2 and it was built with MTS in mind, kinda...:)

my RT 2/50 has been gathering dust for quite a while now....

I use my Mesa 2:100, it has all the balls, and open-ness? (can't spell) i wished for in my sound.

My cleans are much bigger, massive and bold but still sparkly and clean and deep.

And all gain tones even plexi are just to die for, I am a big KT88 fan, but found that unless being able to run in 100watt mode into one cab without having to use stereo, 50 watts just doesn't give enough low end in a gig level, sure it's "ok", but once you get the hundred watts, its not a huge difference, but the space is nicely filled and well worth it.

I also feel the output transformers used in the RT 2/50 aren't the best that could be used in this poweramp, but what do you do?

I have extensively A/B'd used radials cabbone cab switcher and headbone head switcher to get direct results and comparisons.

My Rocktron Velocity 300 on the other hand, would have to be the absolute best solid state poweramp, even with my housemates axefxII

I used:

Marshall E34 50/50 (just boring)
Mesa 2:90 (too dark and not enough bottom end, but obviously from it's tube configuration and setup)
Marshall 9200 (that was actually sweet and I do want to find another)
Mesa Strategy500 (just too dark and dull, but very transparent sounding and ultra clear! but could never get enough nice presence out of it)
Randall RT 2/50 (pretty good sounding, but hard to go back to after the 2:100)
Rocktron Velocity 300 (great solid state)

And now my Mesa 2:100

I wish they made a 5150 poweramp, cause through my housemates 5150 effects loop it's just fuckin killer!

Can't think of the others i've tried as it's late,

and sorry for such a long f*ckin rant, but i'm super bored! and MTS rocks!
haha

Then there must be something wrong with yours cause mine is ball tearing in every! And for shits a giggles running in stereo means 8 6L6's (or EL34's) that's 200 watts! It's just not possible in so many logical and technical ways! :)

Try a 2:100 in modern mode dude!

A European 1.2 liter bi-turbo engine is way faster than an average USA V8 engine.
Cubic inches (read: quantity of powertubes) is not telling you everything.
I guess in my case the RT2:50 is more efficient. I've tried El34, KT66, 6550 etc...
b.t.w. I run my 2:100 exclusive in modern mode and I love headroom.
Bottomline is don't judge the volume on the quantity of powertubes.

Tbag said:
Then there must be something wrong with yours cause mine is ball tearing in every! And for shits a giggles running in stereo means 8 6L6's (or EL34's) that's 200 watts! It's just not possible in so many logical and technical ways! :)

Try a 2:100 in modern mode dude!

I am not sure 2x100 watts = 200 watts.
Also remember that depending on an amps design you may not get the watts advertised. When I got my Mesa 2:90 serviced a while back the tech put that it tested at 68 watts. I asked him about it and he explained how the bias effects the wattage as well as the amp design. He went into a lot of detail and it was cool to learn about.
I think for every doubling of watts you get an increase of 3dB. Now based on design and efficiency that 3dB could be cut in half possibly between the two so I don't think it is outta of reason that he thought his rt2/50 was louder than the 2:100. Especially if he was using el34s cause the mid range may of been more present in that amp.

Tbag: I found it interesting that you wished they made a 5150 power amp. Most people complain that the power amp in those run too cold. I know the combos were supposed to be running a little warmer but not by much. I personally don't think the power section is all that bad in the 5150 series. It's just that the Amps really need to be cranked to tighten up the sound a bit.

Hi Jeff! totally agree!

But the he put in a bias pot to warm up the coldness feel of it a bit and it sounded awesome, plug anything into it and the presence and resonance control work wonderful with anything.

My RT 2/50 had the same headroom in regards to breakup, but still didn't have that nice thick and deep low end,

I even have a switchable Negative feedback circuit on my RT2/50 and still couldn't get it close enough,

Then on my RM100 i did the same thing, i even modded the output section, and parts of the input section, to be exactly the same as Mesa specs regarding recitifers, while nice, still did not compare, it's about this point i gave up on Randalls/Egnaters power side of things, and the preamp stuff is great.

I then spoke to Paul from Mercury Magnetics to give the RT 2/50 a helping hand, but he said he needed mine because he had never wound one before, but after i'd sent pics to him, he said it was already too tight in there and probably wasn't going to make enough of an impact.

He went on saying that the RM100 upgrades Output transformer and power transformer and choke was a MASSIVE upgrade for that amp as the power section suffers. My Mesa Roadster has mercury magnetics in it and was a fantastic upgrade also.

But at the end of the day for me, if i couldn't get atleast 100 watts i was never going to get enough headroom or deep bottom end that didn't thin out the louder i turned up.

At gigs my RT2/50 would be nice and loud, back lack that bottom i craved, my hughes and kettner triamp mkii has much more.

My bandmate was playing his JVM410H with only 2 KT77's, gigged for a little bit with it, but i kept telling him, put 4 in it! or 4 of anything, you'll get that little bit of bigness and space filled up you want live, and sure enough....that's what happened.

Egnaters biggest mistake was not making a "BRIDGED" mode, that would've been pretty good then, but still lacking that little bit of....'uhhhhh' satisfaction!

Latest posts