Anyone else out there chasing low gain tones with a MTS amp?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Steve

Reaction score
I just bought my first MTS amp, an RM80. I am going to put it into a custom built pine cabinet. I am chasing low gain classic blues tones. I am going first for the Jaded Faith Vybe Deluxe module.

What speaker and tube recommendations do you have for me?

What other modules and module mods should I be checking out?

If you like the Orange sound, I'd take a look at the Salvation Mandarine Graphic. This is a very cool module that will give you everything from very nice cleans to vintage crunch, and includes the Baxandall EQ and F.A.C. low-cut selector, just like on the real OR120. For Marshall tones running the gamut from low to medium gain, check out the SacredGroove MK22. This might be my single favorite module, despite the fact that it is very simple compared to many modern modules: just a bright switch and a 2203/2204 selector. The current design of the MK22 also includes a boost switch and a JMP/JCM setting, but mine is pure JMP. Its 2203 mode should be up your alley. The 2204 mode might be higher gain than what you're interested in, but versatility never hurts.

Big Steve said:
I just bought my first MTS amp, an RM80. I am going to put it into a custom built pine cabinet. I am chasing low gain classic blues tones. I am going first for the Jaded Faith Vybe Deluxe module.

What speaker and tube recommendations do you have for me?

What other modules and module mods should I be checking out?
Congats on your new MTS amp. If you like VOX tones I'd check out the Sacred Groove CC30. I'm drooling over that one right now. Here's a link to the thread. http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=16844
You may also like the Jaded Faith OD Special.
I have found the best tube combo for a clean to low gain amp is to put a 5751 tube in the V1 position and a good, low noise ECC83S in V2. Smoothes everything out nicely. Especially when you start picking up modded modules, you will realize that there is a ton of range that can be dialed in. Pick your flavor and go for it. There's no substitute for getting in there and trying em' out.

kc2eeb said:
Lower your pick ups. I'm not kidding.
+1 on that. Especially if you are using buckers. It gives it a more airy and soulful sustain. It moves the magnetic pull further away from the strings and lets them vibrate more freely. Plus you can juice the gain a tad more and still clean up nicely with the guitar volume.

Big Steve said:
I am going first for the Jaded Faith Vybe Deluxe module.?
That's a good choice. You might also look at the JF Plexi-Tweed and JF Texas Special. Amazing clean tones that will boost in to low gain well.

Right now, I'm really digging my Salvation Terrier II. I use it with the gain pretty high on the Normal Mode (versus the Hi-Gain Mode. There's a switch for super high gain.) I find it sounds great with Single Coil PU's. Its just crunchy enough while still retaining definition and note separation.

lower gain modules that really sound good:
Stock Plexi
Stock Top Boost
Stock Deluxe(for clean tones)
Stock SuperV

and consider using a Celestion V 30 12speaker...I certainly like them!

GtrGeorge

I just kind of geared my whole rig towards lower gain tones. I play country and original Christian rock so I run a pretty wide range of styles. I like the tones of a lot of country guys so just retweaked everything after some of my favorites and came in really close. I use a stock clean for my starting point, have a stock tweed that I have set up for some really great Brad Paisley type tones. For the next step up in tone, I surprisingly use a 1086 module with the gain switch set low and using 6l6s to get the tone from Jack Ingram's Barefoot and Crazy tune. and a Quick mod rounds things out, gear two, deep, with a lower gain setting gets me the Jason Aldean, My kinda Party tone. The last two modules there really shocked me with how good they filled the bill, but it worked!

I agree with both GtrGeorge and kurtisqpublic.

I have an RM4 loaded with the following modules:

1. Stock Deluxe for warm clean tones - sounds great with some delay - think Mark Knoplfer.

2. Dave Friedman modded Top Boost - I use this for crunchy rhythms. Dave's mods are basically the same as those recommended on the Grailtone site:
http://www.grailtone.com/guitar-tone-articles/randall-modules-modifications.html

3. Jaded Faith OD Special - in my opinion, the success of this module is much to do with compression so don't underestimate the value of compression in getting a warm sustain tone.

4. Stock 1086 - this is a super flexible stock module that can sound great clean or it can give you a singing sustain tone such as Santana.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the responses guys. I am glad to know that I am not the only one. Almost everything I read and see about these amps is high gain. Glad I meet Rob from Jaded Faith at the LA Amp Show and heard them low gain.

My current low gain goodness mods are:

Sacred Groove CC30
Salvation Baseman
Salvation HWatt
Salvation Buddy (blues)

kurtisqpublic said:
I just kind of geared my whole rig towards lower gain tones. I play country and original Christian rock so I run a pretty wide range of styles. I like the tones of a lot of country guys so just retweaked everything after some of my favorites and came in really close. I use a stock clean for my starting point, have a stock tweed that I have set up for some really great Brad Paisley type tones. For the next step up in tone, I surprisingly use a 1086 module with the gain switch set low and using 6l6s to get the tone from Jack Ingram's Barefoot and Crazy tune. and a Quick mod rounds things out, gear two, deep, with a lower gain setting gets me the Jason Aldean, My kinda Party tone. The last two modules there really shocked me with how good they filled the bill, but it worked!
Agreed.

I think the 1086 is the best sounding stocker out there.

There are just so many options here for you.

Personally I just go bonkers for pedal tones out of, say, a JTM, a Clean or one of the Fender-esque modules. Being a sucker for what Fanes deliver in terms of low gain tones I would go with the Axa12 if I could afford it, as it is very smokey sounding and basically is something of a cool cat that can raise hell should it become necessary but can settle with a subtle yet distinct sign of disagreement at lower gain.

The valves of choice would depend of the rest of the gear, really, but I like Gold Lion and TAD outputs and JJ, TAD and GL pre-amps. Some Tung-Sols are great as well and Mullard pre-amps may help in balancing a bright amp.

I can get great mid gain tones out of a JF Brahma with the boost off and the gain to taste. Think plexi starting to break up.

The JF Scary (SLO-100) with the boost off and gain below noon is right there too.

Don't forget to use your volume knob on the guitar. In my younger days it was volume on 10 all the time. Once I learned about all of the tones I was missing by turning that thing up or down a 1/4 or 1/2 turn, I realized that I could have flipped a lot less gear.

Now that I think about it, I might make a quick vid showing something like that. The quality will suck but a general idea should be able to come across.

eyeball987 said:
Don't forget to use your volume knob on the guitar. In my younger days it was volume on 10 all the time. Once I learned about all of the tones I was missing by turning that thing up or down a 1/4 or 1/2 turn, I realized that I could have flipped a lot less gear.

Now that I think about it, I might make a quick vid showing something like that. The quality will suck but a general idea should be able to come across.

I use the volume knob on my guitar a lot. I would love to see that video.

I love my Texas Special. I think it would be a great fit for what you are looking for. Gain dialed back in Texas mode with single coil pickups just makes me smile! :D

I'm looking at the Vybe Deluxe. Anyone have one that can chime in.

eyeball987 said:
Man, I wish I had learned this a lot sooner than I did.

Add to that how much more you can do with coil taps.