RM4 Reliability

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich G.

Reaction score
I've been using an RM4 for a while (Year+?) now and have run into a few reliability issues. More specifically, those little white two-wire connectors on the inside don't seem to provide the most reliable connection. They are supposed to snap in place, but don't do so. After a few of them popped out of their socket I RTV'd them in place. There were a few that I missed and they came back to bite me last night.

In front of a waiting crowd of about a thousand people I was trying to figure out why I had no output from the preamp. No pressure, mind you. One swift but firm tap to the preamp brought the sound back. I was on edge all night thinking it could drop out at any time, but it didn't.

I pulled it apart today and luckily found the problem connection. It was one of the connectors going to the board with all the output jacks.

Has anyone else been running into these sort of problems with the RM4 units? Harmony Central reviews indicate a pretty low reliability score for them.

Actually, there have been very few complaints on this board regarding the RM4's reliability. On the other hand, I have seen quite a few complaints about RM100s breaking down.

I've been using an RM4 live for the last year with no reliability issues yet, thankfully. (knocks on wood)

Latest posts