Power tube saturation

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD

Reaction score
If the volume on the module is set at about 6, how high does the master volume have to turned before power tube saturation starts to occur on an RM100 and make a difference?

When small animals start to vaporize in proximity and your balls are speed bagging off of your *** when you stand in front of the cab.

Seriously though, it will depend on the power tubes you have loaded up. There will be plenty of volume in any case.

eyeball987 said:
When small animals start to vaporize in proximity and your balls are speed bagging off of your *** when you stand in front of the cab.

:lol:

Seriously though, it will depend on the power tubes you have loaded up. There will be plenty of volume in any case.

To add: I'm no tube guru, but I gather maxing the module's volume will only go so high untill it slams the PI into distortion

The PI getting slammed will depend upon MV placement.

IMO..
Power section coloration always occurs, with the amp design and push determining the amount/intensity/flavor of the coloration. Most (all?) amps will have a sweet spot, which can vary from amp to amp of the same model depending on factors such as tube choice, how the preamp is dialed in, tone one is going for, etc. BTW- this applies with SS amps as well. Compare a nice "made for guitar" MOSFET power amp to a neutral, clean power amp. Ditto for speakers; all have their own color, and that color will vary depending on the levels driving them. A rig is a living organism you form a symbiotic relationship with.

Power tube generalizations and comparatives are a great starting point IMO. For instance, choose a certain model of EL34, and it will carry with it inherent, general tonal characteristics. Compared with, say, a 6L6, certain general differences will also transcend specific amp model choices. Thus, IMO, it can be invaluable to take the time to spend time with different tube types in several simpler circuited amps. Understand your tools!

Or... grab an amp, try some tubes, and when you smile, you have "your amp." :)

A couple days ago I had another guy over and we were swapping 6l6's and EL34's and it seemed like we could only notice a very, very slight difference and that was when we had RM100 master volume up to a out 6-7. Then we called over the neighbourhood drummer and bass player and jammed with two RM100s. At that point, no difference was really noticed...maybe if we recorded and listened back we might of been able to hear something, but in the moment, it seemed like the module was controlling 99% of the sound.

JD said:
A couple days ago I had another guy over and we were swapping 6l6's and EL34's and it seemed like we could only notice a very, very slight difference and that was when we had RM100 master volume up to a out 6-7. Then we called over the neighbourhood drummer and bass player and jammed with two RM100s. At that point, no difference was really noticed...maybe if we recorded and listened back we might of been able to hear something, but in the moment, it seemed like the module was controlling 99% of the sound.

Interesting. I usually keep the module volume at about 9:30-10:00 and the amps master at 10:00 to noon when playing at home and I can hear, and feel, and fairly big difference between 34's and 6L6's.

I do have a 5751 in the PI and prefer Marshally tones so maybe my ears are searching for the EL34 breakup in the mids.